Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 05:51:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329437 Posts in 13496 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Question about Suikoden
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Question about Suikoden  (Read 2992 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2012, 09:37:15 PM »

What were the best runes (edit: rune piece) anyway? I pretty much maxed my whole team with water because the healing each turn was pretty nice.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 09:43:27 PM by Annubis » Logged
LINK398

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2012, 10:18:27 PM »

Basically why can't luc use fire magic when he has a fire rune equipped doesn't make sense....
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2012, 12:05:33 AM »

It's equipped to his weapon, probably.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2012, 02:49:34 AM »

What were the best runes (edit: rune piece) anyway? I pretty much maxed my whole team with water because the healing each turn was pretty nice.

I forget if it works the same way as in Suikoden II but if it does the second tier elemental runes are the best (they double the effects and stack). Honestly I never really used the feature all that much in Suikoden I due to all the other ways you can break the game with like unites, infinite money, and just having Soul Eater as your main's True Rune.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2012, 12:00:47 PM »

To properly equip a rune so as to cast magic spells with it, you need to have an item called "[Blank] Crystal" in your inventory(So, [Fire Crystal] or [Water Crystal]), and you need to pay a Rune Master to attach it to your character.  If you're playing Suikoden 1, you haven't "equipped a fire rune to your weapon", you've attached a Fire Rune Piece (which is different from a Fire Crystal) which is going to give you bonus fire damage to your attack, not any magic spells whatsoever.  There are also Rune Pieces that boost your stats, but those are obvious as they do not contain an element in their name (Power Rune Piece, for instance).

"Rune Pieces" are attached to weapons and grant bonuses in combat.
"Rune Crystals" are equipped at a Rune Master (Crystal Ball icon in towns) and give you spells/abilities.

It's a very important distinction, and it honestly isn't that hard to tell them apart if you read your item names/know which shop you equipped them at.

The whole system is a lot more understandable and useful in Suikoden 2, where they just tell you what it does and they use the same items for both purposes.

Fire and Lightning are pretty much interchangeable, each piece you attach gives you a small bonus elemental damage to your attack.  I also understand that Earth fits here too, but I never really noticed a difference with what Earth pieces did.  Wind Rune Pieces boost your defense, and Water gives you regeneration, as stated.

I always felt they were all underpowered and not really all that helpful, although I always stacked all my Fire Pieces on Viktor and Lightning on Flik, then piled Water on the Hero and Wind on Pahn or Pesmerga(Whoever I was using) with the last going on my Mage (Rubi/Cleo/Tengaar).  That always worked out well for me.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2012, 01:15:14 PM »

I'm kind of curious, does he even read these answers or does he keep on asking the same questions over and over again to +1 and keep his post alive.

LINK, of you're really having so much trouble with the game just read a FAQ. There's a ton of them floating around the web.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 01:16:49 PM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Seems ok, has mouse issues.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: