Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 06:16:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329357 Posts in 13491 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  PC / Console RPGs - What are your memorable Quests
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: PC / Console RPGs - What are your memorable Quests  (Read 1980 times)
Chairman7w

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: March 12, 2012, 04:35:03 PM »

Hey guys, I see people voice their complains about "Fetch this" quests, and "Kill X amount of these" quests, or "Fedex" quests... and I understand how they can get a bit monotonous.

My question is, strictly from a conversational standpoint, "What are some unique rewarding quests you've done?"

For me, I remember a quest in Oblivion for the Dark Brotherhood where I had to be locked in a mansion with a group of people, and I had to kill each other, without any of them seeing it happen. So eventually it was just me and one other person left and they realized I was the murderer. Now THAT was a unique Quest!! Loved it!

What quests have you done that you remember and were fun?
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 04:51:33 PM »

I'm bad at recalling stuff like this but that Dark Brotherhood quest was awesome. In general most of the quests for that faction were intense.

In Dragon Age 1 where that one kid was possessed by a demon and you had to enter the fade. I liked those a lot because you got to choose that buggers fate.

In Demon's Souls when you fight Maiden Astraea...not because it's a particularly hard fight but the music and her dialog is incredible. That game had such a great depth and feel to it w/o actually having a lot of exposition.
How dare you persist in intruding upon our haven.
You abandoned us long ago; what right do you have?
We live humble lives. Leave us be!
Matrix
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 05:04:40 PM »

Great topic.........................

I once went on a quest to rescue the princess of the mushroom kingdom. She found herself in possession of a mystical map, that lead to crystal stars..........now as a fat italian plumber, you cant quest alone, so I let 6 partners tag along with me.

Along the way I lost my body, I even spoke to my brother about his own adventure rescuing princess eclair from the chestnut king

I gathered all the crystal stars and I BATTLED A DEMON..............It was only through the help of these stars and all the people I had seen along the way did I DEFEAT EVIL

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 05:16:04 PM »

Although Eternal Eden did not have any revolutionary sidequests in it (mostly "kill" or 'acquire" quests), a key gameplay mechanic made me want to do many of them.  Bear in mind, I'm not someone who does a lot of sidequests.  In Eternal Eden, encounters weren't random and if you won a battle, that enemy didn't respawn.  This made backtracking fun because I didn't have to worry about needless pointless battles when backtracking through old dungeons.  I could just explore in peace.  This is a big reason I did so many sidequests in that game.  

I remember in Septerra Core, some characters would attack each other in battles unless you did the sidequests to help them get along.  Fantastic concept, but because the game design featured slow movement and overly long dungeons, backtracking and all that wasn't much fun.  

So my point is that sometimes a good sidequest idea in theory could falter due to game design flaws and seemingly "meh" sidequest ideas could be fun due to very good game design.  

The chained fetch quest will never be fun for me, though.  Or quests where I'm bodyguarding idiots. 

And, for me, I tend to like quests that enhance the worldbuilding.  The Hunter's Board quests in Phantasy Star 4 were cool because they enhanced the worldbuilding and were fun.  Every time I played that game, I did them all, and like I said, I normally don't do sidequests.

Even though the shumi sidequest in FF8 yielded a piddling reward, I learned about the shumi people and moombas.  Oh, and my favorite sidequest was hooking up Zell with the shy library girl who had a crush on him.  I thought that was cuter than the main love story, which read like a bad version of Romeo and Juliet.  So, yeah, I think my all time favorite sidequest is Zell's "love story."
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 05:22:04 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 05:36:16 PM »

The quest in Sacred 2 where you gather all of the instruments for Blind Guardian and then BG puts on an Orcs and Trolls-type concert for ya. It was the only thing I really liked in what little I played of the game.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 06:07:39 PM »

FFVI where you're rewarded with extra characters and even a bit as to why they got into the fight to begin with and why they should keep going. It helps that it fits thematically since everything that you were working for during the first half of the game just got thrown out the window and now you've got the other half of the game to get your characters' collective acts together for a grand finale. The game breaking power ups were a nice perk as well.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 08:18:38 PM »

- The industrialization sidequests in Terranigma. Mostly for the world building and also how their outcomes weren't wholly positive.

- The fucking car in Devil Summoner 2. Also the 100 demon fight sidequests. Just... really, really fun optional fights.

- Dario from Chrono Cross. Adds a lot to the story and the aftermath of it is just so unrelentingly happy.

- Zombie Ship in RS:MS. Genuinely surprised me.

- The lamp selling quest in LoM was also very evocative and original.

- All the city development stuff from Summoner 2.

- MOTHERFUCKING PUZZLE BOY.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 08:55:47 PM »

Code:
The one that you get laid with Elizabeth in Persona 3.

That was a quest right? :p Haven't played P3FES in a while.
Matrix
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 08:56:16 PM »

I enjoyed the radiant dawn defend the castle quests
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 08:58:40 PM »

^^^^ Great call!

Everything's Eventual
Fyle

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 12:20:36 AM »

This isn't quite a quest but, one of my most memorable moments was when I got the GOTY Morrowind and swam out to Solstheim. Then the snow started to fall and I knew there would be plenty to explore.

This is a good question because I'm having trouble remembering single quests that really made an impact. Looking back on gaming in my adult life say the last 20 or so years, I'm remembering games on the whole and single moments that stand out rather than actual quests...

(~_~;)

I was once a pick up artist like you until I took an RPG to the knee.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 05:23:05 AM »

If S-Links in Persona 3 and 4 count for this thread, then the Sun link in P3 was a tearjerker.  In P4, the Justice and Heirophant S-Links were my favorites, because those were two of my favorite characters and I really got to delve deep into who they were.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Chairman7w

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 01:40:41 PM »

I'm not sure what some of those Acronyms refer to (LoM, RS:MS, etc).  Can you clarify?

- The industrialization sidequests in Terranigma. Mostly for the world building and also how their outcomes weren't wholly positive.

- The fucking car in Devil Summoner 2. Also the 100 demon fight sidequests. Just... really, really fun optional fights.

- Dario from Chrono Cross. Adds a lot to the story and the aftermath of it is just so unrelentingly happy.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 03:13:50 PM »

I'm not sure what some of those Acronyms refer to (LoM, RS:MS, etc).  Can you clarify?

FF8 = Final Fantasy VIII, FFVI = Final Fantasy 6, LoM = Legend of Mana, RS:MS = Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song, P3 = Persona 3, P3FES = Persona 3 FES, P3P = Persona 3 Portable, P4 = Persona 4, P4:TG = Persona 4: The Golden

Edit: ToS = Tales of Symphonia, PS:T = Planescape: Torment, USaga = Unlimited SaGa
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 07:42:16 AM by Aeolus » Logged

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 12:59:02 AM »

ToS - The map-based skits you can trigger. ToS really did some cool stuff to make overworld exploration interesting, which I appreciate. And now I am going to nostalgia hard :/

Xenogears - The stuff that lets you turn Emmy into an adult. Just...a cool dungeon to explore, interesting 'reward' for finishing it, and it adds a lot to the story.

Dragon Quest 7 - The stuff with Zebot. Specifically when you return to the future and find his robotic maid still sweeping up around his now-skeletal corpse. DQVII really liked throwing the gut-punches at you.

Space Rangers 2 - Not really a "quest" but the entire dynamic war going on sort of works like one. Never really seen that in a space trader/open-world RPG since, although STALKER was really close. Actually SR2 had a really high degree of dynamism as a whole. Which I wish idk bethesda would incorporate.

Chrono Trigger - Lucca's Personal Quest. Alters the world map, tons of character development for Robo and Lucca, and it's really... affecting if you fail to stop the conveyor. But it also gives us the campfire scene which... really recontextualized the entire games story up to that point. I consider this sidequest to be the game's climax, and it's totally optional.

STALKER - Agroprom Research Facility. Towards the end.

PS:T - I can't name any particular quests off the top of my head (played this in 09. Don't really remember 09), but the approach the game took to quests as a whole impressed me. By and large they were diplomatic affairs. Every character was a puzzle and a labyrinth. You didn't have dungeon crawls. You had dialogues to explore.

Ultima 8 - I should finish this sometime. I deeply enjoyed what I played of it. In any case, the first school of magic you get is... Necromancy or something. Doing so involves exploring this really big catacomb with a lot of warps and stuff. It's all rather disorienting, but eventually you loop back into the original dungeon -- and can find the ruins of a previous civilization underneath. Along the way you learn to summon earth golems too :}

Chrono Cross - Getting Skelly. Skelly as a whole kind of stuck with me a lot -- he was... kind of a mirror of Serge in the sense of being both dead and alive at the same time. Collecting his bones (and memories) to get him was one of the more interesting approaches to unlocking a character in the game, though.

Actually you know I see a kind of thematic trilogy in CC, LoM, and Tsugunai. No doubt unintentional since... I think here was no staff swapping outside of Mitsuda being on CC and Tsugunai, but there are some *really* interesting parallels.

Just because I'm a full clout kind of guy:

I was really fond of some of the late-game quests for Laura in USaga. I really liked how Laura and Henri's characterization ended up playing out -- especially in the... second to last quest, I believe. The duel between Dagul Bos and Henri -- and iirc whether you won or lost would make the story branch. Also there were some really creative puzzles in the Elemental Gear-related quests.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: