Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2014, 02:35:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
328020 Posts in 13432 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Xenosaga 1, somehow not attracted.....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Xenosaga 1, somehow not attracted.....  (Read 3336 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 04:42:09 PM »

Thanks Parn.

And Eus.  Yeah, I like being creative too... Donkey dick, shit eater, hairy-ass licker, clown shoe, pink nutted.  None with that same impact and leaning more towards a "ha" than an "ow".

... I would love to play the third game of this.  I remember liking the first game nonetheless.  For every way it was brilliant, though, it sucked so far the other way. 

The music was brilliant, when it was around.

I liked the battle system for the most part... Except that one boss in, I think, KOS MOS' head in EP1.  WTF.... How are you supposed to know that Shion has to kill it once, then it revives itself, then Jr has to land the second finishing hit.  To make things worse, I don't remember being able to see enemy HP, and you just had to keep track of it mentally. x(

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 04:58:35 PM »

I originally bought Xenosaga because of 'Yasunori Mitsuda + London Philharmonic'.

Imagine my disappointment at the game having, what, seven songs?

One of the most aurally barren games I've ever played.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 06:46:06 PM »

If I remember correctly it was due to the way that the music was implemented in the game. Basically whomever they had assigning the music take the boss track and make it into the game's sole battle track, use the various background musics only for cutscenes, have the battle music play when something major was happening like a Gnosis attack or something, and the rest consist of ambient noises i.e. echos and the occasional beep.

I thought there was a lot of potential for her.  Brainy confidence, or something.  She turned out to be an 80s nerd -- meek and hopeless.

.... can we tone down using the word "cunt" till there's a bad-enough male-equivalent?? T_T
I just hate that word....
...I guess I kinda get using it against Shion... she don't deserve many praises...

How about Sausage?

But I digress, most of the characters in the Saga trilogy were largely forgettable and dumb. Hell, the main reason why KOS-MOS is more memorable than the rest of the cast is that she's more likable than the rest of the cast in comparison outside of outliers like JR and not just as scenery like Ziggy.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 07:01:22 PM »

I'm on the bandwagon for the series preference, 1 was decent, 2 sucked moosecock (I can use male and female derogatory terms whee), and 3 was one of my favorite titles for ps2. Shion was in fact a useless broad who should have really stuck with being seen, not heard. chaos was a favorite in 2 and 3, cuz his voice actor in 1 ruined the depth of who he was, which pissed me off. KOS-MOS will always be my favorite FEMALE robotic lifeform, with male robotic lifeform stuck on Robo of chrono trigger. Everyone else really gets shafted sadly, I mean, fucking Jin doesn't even get screen time til 2, wtf?! That being said, he was a champ at the end of 3.

Overall, xenosaga 3 is worth playing, but 1 and 2 are missable. Oh, and dice, since you're the first person to actually ask that a term be refrained from use, I will forever switch the c word with a word of the week. This week....mallowmar.

Example, "Shion was such a useless MALLOWMAR."

TASTY!
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 08:23:31 PM »

I got some lovely hatemail for my writeup on Shion.  She may be a woman biologically, but psychologically she's a simpering weenie girl.  Allen was a simpering weenie too, but he was still too good for her. 

The most compelling character for me was definitely Albedo.  He's probably one of the more terrifying JRPG villains I've seen.  I always say that anyone compelled by Albedo should play Ever17 and meet Tsugumi Komachi. 

http://www.rpgfan.com/features/Best_Female_RPG_Characters/hall_of_shame.html

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 10:33:48 PM »

Episode 2 was awful first time I played it, but I decided to marathon these games (including 'gears) and I had a blast with it.
I think my problem with it was that it forced me to play a certain way and I chose not to so battles took freakishly long, but second time around, I went along with playing around with zones and holy shit.
It suddenly started being really fun because I was crippling enemies left and right.
I like its battle system better than Episode 1's at least, and that was standard, but I think it was maybe even better or on par with Episode 3, in terms of non-mech battles.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 01:18:42 AM »

I'm probably one of the few who liked Xenosaga 2 better than Xenosaga 1, though I do like Xenosaga 3 best of all.  Maybe because 2 fleshed out Jr., Gaigun, and Albedo, who turned out to be some of my favorites in the series.  Hell, even MOMO went from being merely moe-moe lolicon-bait to something more.  1 just dragged on and started losing me once the Encephalon bit started (though I blundered through).  I also went from liking Shion in 1 to not being able to stand her in 3.  Crazy.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2012, 06:38:12 AM »

I pretty much agree with most here. I loved the premise in I but felt it was unfulfilled. I simply couldn't stand the battle system in II and the character changes certainly took me a bit to get used to, actually I never truly got used to them. And then III came along and I absolutely never wanted it to end. The series certainly has it's faults but having said that it is still one of my overwhelming favorite series ever. If they ever did decide to make more or even flesh out the storyline it would be a pre-order day one for sure!

Everything's Eventual
xellos2099

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 12:19:38 AM »

.... can we tone down using the word "cunt" till there's a bad-enough male-equivalent?? T_T
I just hate that word....
...I guess I kinda get using it against Shion... she don't deserve many praises...

Penis lord.

... No wait, that really doesn't work at all. I guess you could call someone a scrotum though, but that doesn't really have the nasty punch to it.

As for Xenosaga: Honestly, 1's just an OK game, 2's terrible, and 3's when it becomes good. I thought ME could be Xenosaga done right as the epic space epic, but in the end it came off more as an inversion of it, ME's a better series on a whole but Xenosaga did do a few things better at least. Like a series ending.

You know what.. I think of the same thing.  At the end of me 3 and xeno 3, there were end of the world story, xenosaga pull off the end game beautifully while M<e3 end in a troll. 

D. tnegA   Jin was suppose to be in the first game based on the original trailler where he was having saword fight with mag.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 12:55:57 AM »

She may be a woman biologically

You say that like you got enough upskirt shots to be 100% certain.

Anyway.

XS1's art WAS bizarre. Cute anime faces + hyper gore *doesn't mix*. Especially since the main characters were even more overtly kawaiiish than anyone else.

Star Ocean 3 looked fucking terrible for a similar reason, although... SO3 is maybe the worst looking game I have ever played, from a strictly /artistic/ standpoint.

http://cf.shacknews.com/shack_images/sshots/psx2/090504_starocean3_02.sgsf.jpg

SHIT APPLY RANDOM STATIC TEXTURE TO EVERYTHING TO MAKE IT GRITTY AND REAL

Fuck you man that shit actually makes me nauseous, sort of how certain light patterns cause epilepsy.

At the least, XS1 was fairly clean looking, if... ugly. I mean, I'm never at a point where I outright couldn't tell what the shit I was looking at. Or a lot of the individual elements in XS looked fine by themselves and just got stupid when added together whereas SO3 couldn't even get THAT right.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2012, 02:33:09 AM »

K, I think I should redo my name finally, some people haven't quite gotten the joke yet. But yeah, I knew jin was SUPPOSED to play a more major role originally in 1, but they dumbed him down to an offscreen conversation, and used a still image to present him in game. Lame as fuck, I say. At least they changed his voice actor to something decent.

TASTY!
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2012, 07:54:27 PM »

shions purpose throughout the series is to be a damsel in distress and kos mos is her white knight. yet people seem to hate her because she wont give allen the time of day.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2012, 04:41:33 PM »

Hey, just curious, but CT, XG, and CC all had strong themes of reincarnation to them (less literal in CT, but definitely prevalent if you think about it). They also involved making contact with an extraterrestrial force that affected mankind's destiny.

So, I know that XS has the extraterrestrial contact thing, but does it go into the reincarnation stuff as well?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2012, 04:54:30 PM »

Hey, just curious, but CT, XG, and CC all had strong themes of reincarnation to them (less literal in CT, but definitely prevalent if you think about it). They also involved making contact with an extraterrestrial force that affected mankind's destiny.

So, I know that XS has the extraterrestrial contact thing, but does it go into the reincarnation stuff as well?

Considering the Big Bad's primary MO, I'd say yes.

BIG BIG SPOILERS FOR XS3'S ENDING AND THE PARTS LEADING UP TO IT

Code:
If I remember correctly, Wilhelm's primary motive was to turn time into a big circle of sorts. He wanted to make the time the game takes place essentially the end, and have it all reset and begin again, and then get to that point and reset and begin again. I may be wrong, but this is what I recall his MO being.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 04:59:32 PM by (Tunnels) » Logged
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2012, 05:11:47 PM »

Code:
Yes, Wilhelm is basically looping reality back to the start. It's implied that he has done it many, many times before. He needed to wait for Shion because she was the only one who could summon the Gnosis and Abel's Ark, and he needed Abel's Ark in conjunction with Zarathustra for it to work. Oh, and Wilhem is implied to be the antichrist or something like that, as chaos is implied to be the one behind Jesus' miracles.
Xenosaga is bizarre.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: