Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 07:44:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330114 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Xenosaga 1, somehow not attracted.....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Xenosaga 1, somehow not attracted.....  (Read 3433 times)
Caine

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2012, 07:59:20 AM »

i started xenosaga 1 atm and im kinda not attracted by its style. i love xenogears and played it very much in the past on ps1 and still keep it as i have great thoughts of it.
but when i started xenosaga 1 i was somehow disappointed of the srtstyle, it looks soooo childish, and the guys strange in the first 2 hours. i know that anime is having this young look, this is normally no problem and i like that but this looks strange the main character. the battlegameplay is a bit overburdened first, too many attackoptions with not much difference, i guess only at the beginning like in most rpgs. but there was no impact yet where i said WOW, love it already. after 2 hours i somehow am disappointed of the look, the overall feeling.

hope it gets better :(

Matrix
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 08:29:33 AM »

gears, saga, blade are different
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 10:13:33 AM »

Xenosaga 1's decent, Xenosaga 2's awful, Xenosaga 3 is amazing. Whether you have that kind of patience or not is up to you.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 01:01:32 PM »

Xenosaga 1's decent, Xenosaga 2's awful, Xenosaga 3 is amazing. Whether you have that kind of patience or not is up to you.

Correction: XS1's playable but boring, XS2's pretty but awful, and XS3's great but four times the content of the other two games. Unfortunately, none of the games are anything like Xenogears. Your best bet would be to skip all that and get Xenoblade instead.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 01:13:40 PM »

Xenosaga's primary issue is that it's trying to appeal to the niche fetish-anime crowd, while also wanting to be taken seriously as a sci-fi epic. It accomplishes neither well. Xenogears was far, far better an attempt at this, despite its problems. By Xenosaga 3 a lot of the issues were fixed, but it was, in my books, too little, too late overall. It's still a good game to play, but I felt very cheated by having to wade through two awful games to get there.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 02:31:30 PM »

http://mooncalf.org/library/parody/thingsthatgo.html (Mooncalf's Xenosaga parody fic)

http://www.whatdoesgodneedwithastarship.com/ (This Xenogears satire/parody/whatever is long but f'n hilarious!)

And for fun, my favorite Mooncalf parody fic: http://mooncalf.org/library/parody/eikosboyfriend.html

And I'm with a lot of you here.  Xenosaga 1 was playable but boring.  I didn't like the lack of music and didn't think the music that was there was anything great either.  Sorry to all the Yasunori Mitsuda fanboys out there, but this wasn't his best outing.  Not enough mecha action either.  

Xenosaga 2 would have been good if not for the completely broken and arbitrary "Zone Break" battle system.  That game justified GameShark use for me.  Story was good (probably the best of the 3), and the change in Chaos's voice actor was for the better.  I also loved the music.  Not just the Kajiura stuff in the cutscenes, but the Hosoe stuff in the rest of the game.  Completely underrated soundtrack. 

Xenosaga 3 was overall the best game.  I loved the music, though the story got a bit too wangsty at times (i.e. Shion's internal monologues were typical wangsty JRPG cliches.)

Then again, I hated Shion so whatever...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 02:37:13 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Matrix
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 02:38:24 PM »

i think they are all good
Caine

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 02:39:06 PM »

thanks for your opinions and clarifications. guess i will skip xenosaga then cause i still have most ps2 jrpgs unplayed here...... i just bought this one cause i read that it is somehow connected with xenogears but when i played it 2 hours i felt bored with the whole style. also slow for my taste.

i wasnt satisfied with digital devil saga as well, played the first nearly through but want to sell it i guess, startin with Nocturne i think next.

thanks again, hopefully i will find some jrpgs on the ps2 which i will love like many on ps1 :).
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 03:53:31 PM »

Digital Devil Saga, now that's amazing. I'd say stick with it.

And I liked Shion in XS1, but I really don't like what they turned her into in XS3. She went from being self-reliant to being mopey over whatshisface the whole game.
(Also liked her better with glasses, but that's another story)

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 03:58:45 PM »

Xeno 1 is decent overall, and is worth sticking with I think.

The first disc of Xeno 2 isn't all that bad. It's the second disc is where it starts to drag.

Xeno 3 is excellent.

The benefit of playing all three is there's some carry over data.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 04:04:28 PM »

She went from being self-reliant

She was self-reliant?  I didn't get that impression at all.  She was a complete ditz the entire game.  About half of her dialogue was repeating the previous statement in the form of a question.

NPC: "Shion, you're a dumb cunt."
Shion: "I'm... a dumb cunt?"
NPC: "Yes.  I wish that loser Margulis would take his katana and stab you in the baby maker."
Shion: "Margulis should... take his katana and stab me in the baby maker?"

Seriously, one of the worst main characters in any JRPG, ever.  Brilliant scientist/researcher, my ass.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 04:05:40 PM »

She went from being self-reliant

She was self-reliant?  I didn't get that impression at all.  She was a complete ditz the entire game.  About half of her dialogue was repeating the previous statement in the form of a question.

NPC: "Shion, you're a dumb cunt."
Shion: "I'm... a dumb cunt?"
NPC: "Yes.  I wish that loser Margulis would take his katana and stab you in the baby maker."
Shion: "Margulis should... take his katana and stab me in the baby maker?"

Seriously, one of the worst main characters in any JRPG, ever.  Brilliant scientist/researcher, my ass.

Well I haven't played the game since it came out. XS3's still fresh in my memory.
(She was still fine, we can at least agree on that.)

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 04:09:28 PM »

I thought there was a lot of potential for her.  Brainy confidence, or something.  She turned out to be an 80s nerd -- meek and hopeless.

.... can we tone down using the word "cunt" till there's a bad-enough male-equivalent?? T_T
I just hate that word....
...I guess I kinda get using it against Shion... she don't deserve many praises...

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 04:12:50 PM »

(She was still fine, we can at least agree on that.)

Not at all.

Code:
Not only is rampant ditziness and stupidity completely repulsive, but I'm into dudes.

.... can we tone down using the word "cunt" till there's a bad-enough male-equivalent?? T_T
...I guess I kinda get using it against Shion... she don't deserve many praises...

Noted, I'll refrain from using it.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 04:29:12 PM »

Penis lord.

... No wait, that really doesn't work at all. I guess you could call someone a scrotum though, but that doesn't really have the nasty punch to it.

As for Xenosaga: Honestly, 1's just an OK game, 2's terrible, and 3's when it becomes good. I thought ME could be Xenosaga done right as the epic space epic, but in the end it came off more as an inversion of it, ME's a better series on a whole but Xenosaga did do a few things better at least. Like a series ending.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 04:32:57 PM by Eusis » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: