Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 06:28:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318973 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  XSEED bringing Ys: Oath in Felghana and Ys Origin to Steam
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: XSEED bringing Ys: Oath in Felghana and Ys Origin to Steam  (Read 7226 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2012, 03:21:47 PM »

RPGFan story here.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 03:26:32 PM »

Falcom games + Steam sales =

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 03:27:25 PM »

I'm definitely interested in Ys Origin. Anyone out there play it before? Thoughts?

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 03:38:06 PM »

Ys: OiF was the last review I ever wrote for RPGFan.  Funny how it about half a decade for the PC version to finally arrive.  Better late than never!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 03:38:59 PM »

Ys: OiF was the last review I ever wrote for RPGFan.  Funny how it about half a decade for the PC version to finally arrive.  Better late than never!

And you also get the... well, not SEQUEL, but next game using that gameplay!

Now they just need to get Trails in the Sky on. If all of those can do well then I can take comfort in that the Second Chapter can actually get here in some form.

EDIT: Come to think of it, Ys Origin bodes well for non-PSP games. Maybe we'll be seeing Xanadu Next and Dinosaur Resurrrection too, it'd be great if this actually opened the flood gates for Falcom PC titles, or at least those that have a fan translation to buy/license.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 03:44:22 PM by Eusis » Logged
Matrix
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 03:43:22 PM »

if anythign SC would be physical. I do frequent the xseed forums alot and tom is really pushing for a physical psp release
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 03:45:19 PM »

if anythign SC would be physical. I do frequent the xseed forums alot and tom is really pushing for a physical psp release

I could see a PSP/PC simultaneous release. Though I guess if they went PC for that it'd have to be sold through online channels anyway, though it would be awesome if they could get a limited, classic PC-style release for it.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 03:55:21 PM »

Shame they weren't able to release Origin on... Origin.
[dead air]

I have Felghana PSP, but I'll definitely get Origin. Glad I didn't get the fan translated version(at least I think it had one?).

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 03:56:33 PM »

This seems like a really strange match.

From what I can gather, most Steam users don't give a crap about JRPGs, and probably have never heard of this.

It just seems like a pointless market to break into.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 03:57:10 PM »

I could see a PSP/PC simultaneous release. Though I guess if they went PC for that it'd have to be sold through online channels anyway, though it would be awesome if they could get a limited, classic PC-style release for it.

I think that depends on Falcom more than XSEED.  If you'll remember, XSEED has no programmers, they simply send the text to the programmers at Falcom.

Either way, this is excellent news.  The more people who can play these titles the better.  I hear the PC versions are the best, as well.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 03:58:43 PM »

From what I can gather, most Steam users don't give a crap about JRPGs, and probably have never heard of this.

Cthulhu Saves the World, Fortune Summoners, Recettear, etc. have done very well on Steam.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 04:01:23 PM »

Cthulhu Saves the World, Fortune Summoners, Recettear, etc. have done very well on Steam.

If I had the gif of Adam Jensen punching the break dancer this would've been a great time to post it. Seriously, with how well those did and how many have wanted Falcom games on Steam (and have been pointing out it's the safest way to get all of Trails in the Sky) it's ignorant to say something like that, especially in the thread highlighting people give a shit.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 04:03:24 PM »

I wasn't speaking about this thread specifically, obviously the forum users here are different.

I mean do Half Life and Team Fortress users really care about JRPGs?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 04:04:18 PM »

There is definitely a market for Japanese/doujin games on Steam, as evidenced by Recettear's success and such.

As I understand it, Valve are the biggest obstacle. They don't think there's a market.

We need to prove them wrong.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 04:08:43 PM »

I mean do Half Life and Team Fortress users really care about JRPGs?

I wasn't aware that all steam users were simply shooter fans.  Considering it is, by far, the most popular distribution service for PC games (arguably more than brick and mortar stores at this point), it's kind of silly to try and pidgeonhole its users, especially when there are examples of very popular Japanese (or Japanese-styled) games on the service.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: