Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 06:01:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331616 Posts in 13577 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Rainbow Moon
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rainbow Moon  (Read 1059 times)
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 05, 2012, 01:42:42 PM »

So, I just bought Rainbow Moon. Looked good in the previews, promises a ton of content. What could possibly go wrong here you ask? Well, the only thing that makes me feel uneasy is the "booster packs"... There's just a few too many and they are rather cheap, makes me worry that they may have intentionally made the game a tedious grind to make some extra ca$h on the boosters... I'm about to launch this bad boy, so all will be revealed soon enough.

NOW PLAYING:
Violette: Charming, clunky, frustrating, rewarding.
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 08:06:21 PM »

It's not out in North America til next week, so tell us what you think! I'm honestly curious.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 03:31:26 AM »

So, I just bought Rainbow Moon. Looked good in the previews, promises a ton of content. What could possibly go wrong here you ask? Well, the only thing that makes me feel uneasy is the "booster packs"... There's just a few too many and they are rather cheap, makes me worry that they may have intentionally made the game a tedious grind to make some extra ca$h on the boosters... I'm about to launch this bad boy, so all will be revealed soon enough.

Dear Maxximum,
The game is a grind, as in, its entire point is the grind. The story is almost non existent. No worries though, for some reason you'll like it anyway.

Regards,
Future Self

It's not out in North America til next week, so tell us what you think! I'm honestly curious.

To be honest, its not what I expected. I thought it was going to be more jRPGish. Instead I got a 50cent video: No story, and a whole lot of grinding. Seriously though, there really isn't much of a story to speak of.The entire point is to explore and level up, its very grind intensive (though I did put it on the hardest settings which did warn me that I'll be doing a lot of that). There are two kinds of encounters, one where monsters are visible on screen and the completely optional "random encounters". Every few seconds the game will pop a monster set in the lower left corner of the screen, if you want to fight just press X. If not, all you have to do is or press O or just ignore it until it goes away on its own. I still like it though. Its one of those games that you can pick up, grind some xp and put it down again. The battle system is fun, the game flows smoothly and there's a nice feeling of progression and satisfaction that goes with playing. It has the potential to be very boring in large doses, but with moderation Id say its great value for the price of entry.

NOW PLAYING:
Violette: Charming, clunky, frustrating, rewarding.
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 05:37:46 PM »

So I just hopped on my ps3, checking the store out for new stuff, and this appeared. It's looks like a strategy rpg, but that's all I could get from the preview I watched. Anyone here have any input, or maybe comments and opinions on this, cuz it looks kinda cool but $14.99 for something that looks kinda cool isn't justifiable.

TASTY!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 07:14:14 PM »

We already have a thread.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 07:19:43 PM »

I merged them because why not.

Anyone else try this game yet?

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 07:36:03 PM »

Sorry, looked through the first page and didn't see it, and being that it was released today I figured no one made a topic. My bad.

It sounds interesting enough, I may nab a psn card and pick this up later in the week...after dragon's dogma is finished.

TASTY!
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 08:03:24 PM »

Pfft, site's called rpgfan, but no one tried out this game. What kind of fans are you! Fine, I'll give a few words about it.

I caved and bought this last night. It's a tactical rpg....sort of. It's grid based, and you have your units and your enemy units and you fight on maps with somewhat randomized layouts. Sometimes there are obstacles, sometimes no, haven't seen a pattern yet. As I have just started I only have the main character and a new archer chick, so battles are pretty tame at the moment. The ratio is a bit staggering at times though, my latest being about 15 vs 2, and 8 of the enemies were higher level than I was (slaughtered me btw). If I had to give a good comparison, it's easy at times like Disgaea, and then slams on you like Hoshigami. Not much in terms of special abilities and such yet, couple of skills for each character that do better damage or have better range, but nothing impressive. I don't like the lack of confirmation when moving, since if your character has 1 action left (sub turns in game) if you accidentally move the wrong way, lol oh well. It's not too horrible though, dying in battle leaves you outside your last fight with one hp and a sense of failure, no need to reload last save. It's not horrible, but I'm not feeling it as well as something like FFTactics or even Disgaea.

Story is pretty minimalist. You got transported to some other world while meeting your rival for a duel. Bastard snuck up on you and hit you with some magic that sent you through a portal, nice guy for sure. New world people see you as the reason for monsters everywhere, everyone is scared. Proceed to fetch quests and monster killing to clear your name and find a way home. It's cute, but far from award winning.

Music is pretty tolerable, some of it's crap, sone of it's pretty addicitive. I like the fight musics I've heard so far, picks up as you go. The title screen has a pretty mellow theme too, I write this while preparing to start playing again, lol.

The art design.....yeah I don't like it. The characters all look strange, like a 15 year old was drawing in a doodle book. The areas so far are bright and all, but npcs all blend in to the background, I mean I ran past one guy for a quest 20 times cuz he looked like a signpost at first. Enemies look cool though, especially skeletons so far. I could hate the style easily, but I don't, so whatever, this isn't gonna be the de facto defision behind a purchase for anyone.

Speaking of purchasing, for 15 bucks, I can say I dislike it. It's addicitive enough, though the extra teammate has slowed my progression of power leveling due to split status enhancing "Rainbow Pearls" ( currency used to increase stat points). Other than a sudden MOON JUMP in difficulty, which could be because I went somewhere I'm not supposed to be at yet..., it's mind numbingly hard. Hopefully when I get a healer or a new party member I can control battles better, but til then, as the game suggests, back to the grind.

If you asked me if ut's worth buying, I'd say sure  if you have psn+, 12 bucks is pretty cheap for it.

TASTY!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: