Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2014, 07:26:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329479 Posts in 13498 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  XSEED bringing Ys: Oath in Felghana and Ys Origin to Steam
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print
Author Topic: XSEED bringing Ys: Oath in Felghana and Ys Origin to Steam  (Read 8968 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 01, 2012, 08:44:54 AM »

You probably won't be missing anything with Dark Souls retail other than the convenience of installing from a disc. The vast majority of PC releases in Europe are just a box, a DVD and a piece of paper with a product key on it.

Given Bandai's treatment of Dark Souls for consoles, no, we're likely not missing anything and I'd prefer to have it on Steam anyway if I couldn't activate the game on it (likely not), but it's a strong example of how dire retail releases are for PC games here.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2012, 09:35:26 AM »

I've always found that weird. I guess you guys over in NA must be a better market for download games. In Europe and here in Australia, pretty much every PC game gets a retail release. Heck, we've even had some recently for some indie stuff like Binding of Isaac, Terraria, Super Meat Boy, Gemini Rue etc. All pretty cheap and come with posters, soundtracks, art and such. Mostly thanks to distributor Lace Mamba.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2012, 12:14:34 PM »

I've always found that weird. I guess you guys over in NA must be a better market for download games. In Europe and here in Australia, pretty much every PC game gets a retail release. Heck, we've even had some recently for some indie stuff like Binding of Isaac, Terraria, Super Meat Boy, Gemini Rue etc. All pretty cheap and come with posters, soundtracks, art and such. Mostly thanks to distributor Lace Mamba.

I think it's more that retail for PC games was chocking and dying until Valve stepped in with Steam. Consoles were traditionally bigger here, though I guess that became more extreme over the last decade.

And now I see Dark Souls PC actually gets a really nice European LE-thing afterall! Figures I'd find this out right after the post about how it'd probably be completely phoned in.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2012, 11:33:55 AM »

*bump*

it's 60% off right now in a "flash sale" -- for the next 5 hours, only $8 instead of $20. Get on it.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2012, 01:30:15 PM »

I've never bought a game on Steam before. Is it worth signing up for this? Is the game any good? Does it play like other Ys games? I suppose I could just go check the review.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2012, 01:49:11 PM »

I've never bought a game on Steam before. Is it worth signing up for this? Is the game any good? Does it play like other Ys games? I suppose I could just go check the review.

It plays like Ys VI and Oath in Felghana, and yeah it's pretty great. Though I still need to get around to beating it, but I think it's something like 6 hours per character anyway.
Solstafir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2012, 02:46:43 PM »

*bump*

it's 60% off right now in a "flash sale" -- for the next 5 hours, only $8 instead of $20. Get on it.
Just bought it!

Oath is only $5.09, so I might end up getting that too before this whole sale ends... (edit: just went ahead and bought it because it's all of five bucks)

Is there any reason at all to play one before the other? Due to gameplay mechanics improving or something, perhaps?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 03:01:46 PM by Solstafir » Logged

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2012, 03:07:59 PM »

*bump*

Just bought it!

Oath is only $5.09, so I might end up getting that too before this whole sale ends... (edit: just went ahead and bought it because it's all of five bucks)

Is there any reason at all to play one before the other? Due to gameplay mechanics improving or something, perhaps?

Nothing before Felghana. You'd get more out of Origin by playing SOME version of Ys I and II first (preferably Chronicles on PSP). But Origin and Felghana don't influence one another. Personally I'd play Felghana first. It's shorter (esp since it's only one character).

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2012, 04:49:30 PM »

It's good.  Plays similar to Felghana. Yes, its worth signing up for.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2012, 09:36:42 PM »

So I signed up with Steam and bought Origin. I'm not sure when I'll get around to playing it, but I just couldn't pass it up. I love Ys games.
Am I able to use a 360 or PS3 controller tp play this on my PC? I thought I heard someone say that was possible. No way am I playing it with the keyboard and mouse. Ugh.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: July 14, 2012, 09:43:37 PM »

Yup, gamepads work on the game. Just plug it in and you're good to go. At least, that's how mine is.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: July 14, 2012, 09:47:16 PM »

Yup, gamepads work on the game. Just plug it in and you're good to go. At least, that's how mine is.

Just as a reminder, if you're using a 360 controller, make sure you're using a wired one. I just got Ys Origin, and I'll personally be using my PS3 controller, which I'm pretty sure is just plug in and play.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2012, 12:06:22 AM »

There's some tweaking that's necessary as otherwise stuff like the Menu button will be weird, but yeah. MotionInJoy will cover PS3, and wired for 360 or the receiver if you have it, though for PC gaming/backup it's good to have a wired one anyway, some games have issues with wireless they don't with wired.
Solstafir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2012, 12:21:16 AM »

*bump*

Just bought it!

Nothing before Felghana. You'd get more out of Origin by playing SOME version of Ys I and II first (preferably Chronicles on PSP). But Origin and Felghana don't influence one another. Personally I'd play Felghana first. It's shorter (esp since it's only one character).
The advice and info is appreciated. I went with Felghana before I read this post. Glad that I ended up making the right choice, haha. Enjoying myself so far playing on normal. Bosses sure do have a learning curve to them, which I am liking. Only at the final boss of the first dungeon, though.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: