Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 06:08:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329314 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation ds v Sentinels of the Starry Skies ds
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation ds v Sentinels of the Starry Skies ds  (Read 1415 times)
Zool

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2012, 05:58:51 PM »

Have you played both, which one is the best?

I have played Sentinels of the Starry Skies and quite enjoyed it but Realms of Revelation has received a lower score from most reviews. Is this a step back to Hands of the Heavenly Bride which I didn't enjoy as much, or is it as good as Sentinels of the Starry Skies?
Matrix
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 06:25:04 PM »

I like them both for different reasons

IX
- Better side quests
- Better Customization
- Better post game content

VI
- Better characters
- Better story
- Better combat
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 07:03:13 PM »

They're rather different beasts actually.

DQVI is basically a proto DQVII where you have a fixed cast but still also have recruitable monsters (although this version dialed that down to a set of slimes and an axe lizard) and a vocational center to allow your characters to pick classes to change stats and learn abilities from. Classes mature based upon the number of battles you fight. There's also a dual world aspect going on and has a particularly awesome sequence early on, right before you gain access to the game's class system.

DQIX is much closer to DQIII where you can make your lead character and your party members from scratch and even let them pick which vocation you want them to work towards from the start. Classes mature based upon both the class level (characters do not have their own level) and skill points accumulated at each level which they can distribute amongst various weapon proficiencies and class perks. The plot is unfortunately much simpler here than in DQVI and the best parts rest mostly in the post game and the free downloadable content. This game also has a multiplayer aspect that the other game lacks but good luck trying to find somebody else to play with. If you do know somebody though then by all means get this game. Otherwise they're basically the same and it's up to preference.

The tl;dr is what the other guy said.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 12:20:37 AM »

The DS port of VI looked kind of crappy to me, visually. I don't thing the DQVII-style art really suited it that well. The idea that they took out a lot of the befriendable monsters bugged me as well.

If you didn't like V, the remakes of 4-6, as well as 7, all play pretty similarly.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 06:10:38 AM »

I played a short amount of IX and while part of it was fun the lack of any decent character kills it for me.
Dragon Quest is already full of stupid characters but this time it seems they went overboard.

I haven't played VI but if it has characters you can talk to, I'd go for it instead of IX.

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 02:37:32 PM »

I'm a Dragon Quest newbie myself, about to check V and IX based on the suggestions here.... Pretty excited, as I loved VII if memory serves me... played it ages ago..... anyhoo..... you can get them brand new MUCH cheaper than in stores on Amazon right now if anyone was wondering. They are like 12.90 apiece or something and still 35 in stores new around my neck of the woods.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 02:40:29 PM »

Dragon Quest is horrible.  I pick neither.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 09:09:02 PM »

I think Dice hast the best advice!

Although of all DQs I played I did like V more than I disliked but I still have a lot of gripes with it.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 04:52:17 AM »

At least they're better than the Final Fantasies made after the PSX era.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 12:29:22 AM »

I disagree.

DQ IX is not better than FFX.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 12:32:05 AM »

I disagree.

DQ IX is not better than FFX.

They're so different it might actually be a prime example of what you prefer in an RPG.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: