Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 08:32:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332911 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPGMaker indie games
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: RPGMaker indie games  (Read 1522 times)
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2012, 09:49:44 AM »

Does anyone here know much about the more popular RPGMaker indie series like Laxius Force, Aveyond, or Millenium? I've played several indie RPGs recently (Breath of Death VII, To the Moon, Recettear, Charles Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, et al.) and would like to try others. The Aldorlea and Amaranth titles seem like a potentially strong trove of games I haven't tried. Anyone more knowledgeable than I willing to make a few recommendations?

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 11:04:24 AM »

Just an FYI, Breath of Death isn't RPG Maker - Zeboyd games built that from the ground up in XNA.

I'm sure Neal will pop in with a bunch of suggestions, since he reviews a fair chunk of the indie RPGs for the site.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 02:37:28 PM »

To The Moon is IMO the best RPGM game out there, but you've already played it.  Quintessence: The Blighted Venom is a freeware game by them that's definitely worth checking out.   http://www.freebirdgames.com

My #2 favorite is still Eternal Eden by Blossomsoft.  Sure it may not have the production values of more recent games and the writing is a bit stilted, but it still offers one of the best gameplay experiences out there.  I almost never do sidequests and Eternal Eden had me wanting to do all of them.  The mechanic of "visible encounters that don't respawn" was brilliant and made backtracking and exploration an absolute dream.  The puzzle dungeons were great too.  I still fire that baby up every once in a while.   http://www.blossomsoft.com

Best production values definitely go to Rose Portal Games' Whisper of a Rose and Sweet Lily Dreams.  I haven't played much of Sweet Lily Dreams, but I did enjoy Whisper of a Rose.  Don't be fooled, though, because Whisper of a Rose may look sweet but it's thorny and will kick your butt.     http://www.roseportalgames.com

Aldorlea's games can be hit or miss (i.e. Laxius is a VERY acquired taste, Sylia just isn't that great) but Millennium is easily my favorite series by them.  The visual style, the music, the story, the characters, the charm... all of that tickles my mojo.  That's worth checking out.  

Aaron Walz is one of my favorite new composers on the scene and his music is why I like the Aveyond games a lot.  The first couple of Aveyond games haven't aged super well, but 3 is still solid.      

Deadly Sin: Shining Faith by Dancing Dragon Games is also quite good.  Refined visual style, good music, and I enjoyed the storyline.  They have a steampunk game called Skyborn coming out soon that piqued my interest (and considering how ubiquitous RPGM games are and how some have just been terrible lately, this is no easy feat). http://www.dancingdragongames.com

EDIT: And though it's not an RPG or an RPGM game, it's worth checking out.  It's called EmberWind and it's a Ghouls 'n Ghosts style action side-scroller.  It was made using its own proprietary engine and it loads of fun.  http://www.timetrap.se
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 03:06:50 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 03:14:44 PM »

Thank you sir, this is exactly the type of input I was looking for.

Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 05:27:47 PM »

...and avoid Freedom Cry like the plague.  I called it one of the worst games I'd ever played in my review. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 06:14:13 PM »

Truth be told, the only position on your list of games you played that's actually made with RM was "To the Moon", and that's more of an interactive story than an RPG (BoD VII uses a custom engine, Recettear is definitely not an RM game and Barkely was made with Game Maker). If you want a taste of what RM games are like I suggest you try some of the widely available free games like Exit Fate.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 01:47:44 AM »

Yume Nikki and Space Funeral were my favorite RPG Maker games.

There are also a number of independently developed RPGs that aren't made in RPG Maker if you're interested, such as Quest for Glory 2 VGA or a large number of roguelikes.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: