Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 06:59:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332945 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What one RPG would you award 100% to?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: What one RPG would you award 100% to?  (Read 8873 times)
Zool

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 19, 2012, 06:55:03 AM »

What one RPG would you award 100% to?

I did a quick check and the highest scored games with 98% were Mass Effect, Zelda Skyward Sword and Neverwinter Nights.

And on the handheld console was Chrono trigger DS with 95%.

Should graphics count when giving a score, it seems not if Crono trigger gets 95%

I would give Zelda Ocarina of Time 3DS 100%. Playing in 2d is not the same now, even Skyward Sword looks flat.

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 07:02:37 AM »

The only game I would ever score 100%, EVER, is Ocarina of Time when it first came out.

While I agree with you that OoT 3DS is amazingly awesome... it's impossible to score it 100% objectively. I mean, the gyro controls interfere with the 3D effect. That's not an opinion, just a fact that it was a silly idea to implement.

PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 08:01:58 AM »

The only 100% game I've ever played is Flower, which is not an RPG. If I were to list my favorite RPGs, a lot of them would be 80-89%. Each has one or two large flaws, but do other things so well I just gush over them. I think Chrono Trigger might be the closest to a 100% RPG.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 08:14:01 AM »

I don't think i could give any a 100% with the way the RPGFan system works. HOWEVER, when we loosen up or just go to 10/10 or at least 5% increments then there's loads of games I'd give that score to, like Demon's Souls (and maybe Dark Souls too), Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, Vagrant Story, Zelda: Link to the Past, and others that I just don't care to list right now or can't be argued as RPGs in any sense (Super Metroid). Games that I really, REALLY enjoyed and got into and either didn't see very much wrong with or they excelled so well in areas that those flaws aren't a huge deal.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 11:31:44 AM by Eusis » Logged
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 08:43:57 AM »

Skies of Arcadia.

I absolutely love the atmosphere of the game. There's something about eliminating the sea and replacing it with air that intrigues me. But man. It's got some really cool gameplay, characters you grow attached to, excellent graphics (well.....for it's time, but I feel it still looks good), an epic soundtrack which captures the feel perfectly for every event the game has to offer, a decent length, and an incredibly positive plot. Because of how positive the game is, I feel that it's more-or-less an anti-FF7. On top of all this, it's incredibly addictive. I'm pretty sure no other game has ever kept me up until 7 in the morning.

Chrono Trigger is also one i'd consider.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 09:30:37 AM »

SMT Nocturne for me.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 09:32:11 AM »

edit: I misread the title.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 01:15:51 PM by Yoda » Logged
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 10:52:00 AM »

For a guy the can't stand 95% of the First Person Shooters these days, strangely enough the first thought I had for 100% is Half-Life 2. That game is brilliant from start to finish. It smoothly goes to many different aspects nailing each one of them. Again not an RPG but oh well.

For an RPG though it is not my favorite, hell I played it for the first time last year, it would be Zelda Wind Waker. For a person that didn't even cared for Zelda at all, I could not imagine how much I would love this game. I know for many the sailing parts were boring but for me they were relaxing and a fantastic way to find out secret stuff.
The music is perfect, the graphics are timeless, controls are spot on.

Other games I loved would come close but a for a few nitpicks here and there I wouldn't give a true 100%. Like the so so minigamesi n FFVII, the cloister of trials in FFX, some weird quest in KOTOR.

An honorable mention for me is Resident Evil 4.

neogalahad

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 11:09:00 AM »

I dont know why, but Mario RPG pops in my head as 100%. Its not even my favorite game but they played it 'SUPER' safe and made a game that is absolutely satisfactory. They made a polished RPG that I really dont have any complaints about.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 12:24:27 PM »

Which RPG? Legend of the Five Rings.

...what? :-P
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 12:48:32 PM »

Planescape: Torment

That's as close to a perfect game as I ever expect to play...

PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 12:56:55 PM »

Planescape: Torment

That's as close to a perfect game as I ever expect to play...

I think the controls are so mind bogglingly annoying that I couldn't give it 100%. Otherwise, really top notch.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 01:17:50 PM »

Thankfully, I have never found one game to be perfect, so I would never give a 100% to any game, rpg or otherwise. If I ever found a supposed 100% game, I'd have basically spoiled my tastes to all other games, and consistently used it as a reference point as why the game I am playing now isn't good enough. I will admit though, that a few games have reached a very high status, including fftactics, xenosaga III, and mass effecy 1 and 2. These games have astounding stories, great music, great gameplay, and gorgeous graphics (at each of their respective times of release obviously). Still, not 100% titles, but damnably good nonetheless.

TASTY!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 02:04:36 PM »

I think it's actually futile to bother with 100%=perfect. Either you never ever touch that score, or you only evaluate on if a game accomplished it's goals with no noticeable flaws, and the latter's always going to be up for debate because something you don't see as a problem is one to another. Better to view it as the score to give games that are just mind blowingly exceptional, even if they have some notable flaws.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 03:06:40 PM »

Thankfully, I have never found one game to be perfect, so I would never give a 100% to any game, rpg or otherwise. If I ever found a supposed 100% game, I'd have basically spoiled my tastes to all other games, and consistently used it as a reference point as why the game I am playing now isn't good enough. I will admit though, that a few games have reached a very high status, including fftactics, xenosaga III, and mass effecy 1 and 2. These games have astounding stories, great music, great gameplay, and gorgeous graphics (at each of their respective times of release obviously). Still, not 100% titles, but damnably good nonetheless.

I think your points are spot on the reasons I can't seem to enjoy pretty much all FPSs after Half-Life 2.

I think the thing that makes it harder for an RPG to feel like 100% is because even if a game is amazing, we tend to think about mechanics of another games, even if in the same franchise, that pleases us more.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: