Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 05:36:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327167 Posts in 13392 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What one RPG would you award 100% to?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: What one RPG would you award 100% to?  (Read 8188 times)
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2012, 06:38:49 PM »

When I posted on this thread I didn't come thinking, "oh, that's my favorite RPG or game" but I did come thinking about the 100% game.
The difference, even if you like a game more you realize it isn't perfect ( or as the title suggests 100%).

I said my 100% were Half-Life 2 and Wind Waker, and while I do like them a lot and they are among my favorites, I don't put neither of them in front of Metal Gear 3, Final Fantasy VII and X, Resident Evil 4 and Shadow of the Colossus.

A good example for this would be the one I just mentioned, Shadow of the Colossus. While it's amazing in almost every aspect, it does have (or did if we do not count the new release) a really bad frame rate. It would need a lot more to make it bad, but as the title suggests, it stays short of a 100%, even if a better game overall.

That's how I feel like when a game is to get 100%.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2012, 07:36:54 PM »

When I posted on this thread I didn't come thinking, "oh, that's my favorite RPG or game" but I did come thinking about the 100% game.
The difference, even if you like a game more you realize it isn't perfect ( or as the title suggests 100%).

I said my 100% were Half-Life 2 and Wind Waker, and while I do like them a lot and they are among my favorites, I don't put neither of them in front of Metal Gear 3, Final Fantasy VII and X, Resident Evil 4 and Shadow of the Colossus.

A good example for this would be the one I just mentioned, Shadow of the Colossus. While it's amazing in almost every aspect, it does have (or did if we do not count the new release) a really bad frame rate. It would need a lot more to make it bad, but as the title suggests, it stays short of a 100%, even if a better game overall.

That's how I feel like when a game is to get 100%.

And this is why numeric scores are pointless.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2012, 07:40:16 PM »

I'm going to have to go with FFVI although a few others come to mind.  I couldn't put the damned thing down for a looong time and I never had quite the same feeling with an rpg as I did with that game.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2012, 07:49:58 PM »

Too many games, too little time.  Plus some 100%'s are pretty ridiculous.  I'd say Tales, but there are so many fucking items, by games end of some of my 70-80 hours play throughs my weapon's collection will only be at 80% as I wonder wtf I missed.
 Hell, even my normal items (healing shit) was missing a few, dunno how.  Can't rmember what title this was.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2012, 03:09:05 AM »

No 100% games exist to me except one but its a horror game.

However a few near perfect RPGs are Suikoden II,SMT Digital Devil Saga 1/2,Fallout 2 and Deus Ex.

Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2012, 01:55:38 PM »

I don't think I've ever played an RPG I'd consider 100% greatness. The only games I'd consider perfect are a few of the Lucas Arts style graphic adventures from the 90's. A Link To The Past is close for me, as is Tales Of Symhonia (Gamecube version). RPG's have so many things going on it's hard to find one where you don't have a gripe about something.
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2012, 05:02:33 PM »

Final Fantasy X
Persona 3
Persona 4
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2012, 04:14:23 PM »

FFXIII, because it manages to get everything consistently wrong. Might not be in the right direction, but its still 100% damn it!
Yes, that was a joke...put those torches and pitchforks down.

Seriously though,
I don't think any game deserves a 100%. But I suppose Id go for the first Suikoden if I had to choose, not because its a fantabulous miracle game with no flaws, but because I beat it in nearly one sitting, and that's when I didn't even like turn based RPGs (I actually bought Suikoden believing it was a Zelda like action game). Its also one of very few games I actually bothered to beat more than once.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 04:16:15 PM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R.: Perseus Mandate: May as well.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2012, 04:31:54 PM »

I'll join the bandwagon and say that I have not played a game that I think deserves a 100%, but there are two I consider really close.

The first is Baldur's Gate 2. Everything about it I loved, but the best parts were the characters and writing. I remember getting giddy when a dialogue box would pop up and one of the chars would banter with another, or having my char develop a romance with Aerie, or having all the chars give a little speech to the main antagonist right before the final battle. These things wow'd me more so than any other game has, with only the Mass Effect series collectively coming close.

The second is Persona 3. Same song and dance; I loved the chars, the story, but it was the presentation that really sold me. Everything about that game oozed the running themes of hipness, youth, vigor, excitement and uncertainty. From the music, to the battle animations, to menu screen, this game had more style than anything else I  had ever played, and the only game that I think beats it is Persona 4, but I have fonder memories of 3. Persona 3 is the only game I wish I could "forget" so I could go back and re-experience it all over again with fresh eyes.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 04:34:03 PM by (Tunnels) » Logged
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2012, 09:06:55 PM »

For rpg's the closest to %100 for me would be SMT devils summoner Soul Hackers, but I couldn't give %100 to any rpg. In reality the closest to %100 for any games at the time for me are Super Mario 64 and Grand theft Auto 3
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2012, 11:19:32 PM »

ALL OF THEM.

GOD I LOVE GAMES SO MUCH.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

DarkCecil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2012, 01:19:57 AM »

Easy answer for me... I've been saying it for decades.

It's Final Fantasy IV (any version, really).

- An ATB battle system that forces you to act fairly quickly, giving the feeling of danger.
- A totally balanced party of fighting, white & black magic, and other skills. (Well-rounded)
- The first, best storyline that I've ever seen in a game, that moved me 21 years ago..
- Interesting aspects that gives the game flavor such as different airships and the hovercraft, three total surfaces to explore, etc.

It's no wonder why it was remade so many times.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2012, 04:46:23 AM »

- An ATB battle system that forces you to act fairly quickly, giving the feeling of danger.

see thats exactly why i hate ATB and was disgusted when they went back to it after FFX

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
daved

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2012, 08:51:16 AM »

It's hard to say if any game could ever deserve 100% but the best RPGs I've ever played would be Growlanser Generations and Witcher 2.  Those games are definitely 99.9% in my book.   I love when an RPG allows the player to make some decisions that actually have significance, including multiple story branches or endings, rather than following a linear path. 
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2012, 10:21:49 AM »

see thats exactly why i hate ATB and was disgusted when they went back to it after FFX

Then turn on "wait" mode?

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: