Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 11:51:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327853 Posts in 13421 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What one RPG would you award 100% to?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print
Author Topic: What one RPG would you award 100% to?  (Read 8263 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2012, 06:40:18 PM »

I've never understood why people thought Earthbound had "bad" graphics. Even as a kid playing the game, I knew it was an artistic decision to have something so clean looking. Not a thing bad about it. It's purposeful, which is more than I can say for a lot of "technically" beautiful games.

I think it's exactly like my example up there, people compared this to the higher end games that look REALLY nice, rather than taking it for what it was. I liked it, actually seemed to look better in action than in screens, even though that's usually more relevant to 3D games.
pseudonym

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2012, 11:28:51 PM »

Only one rpg? I would have to give it to FFVI. It is still better than a lot of current RPGs. My reasons: atmosphere (steam-punk), music, characters (each different and unique), story, gameplay, graphics (for its day) and the villain. Kefka may be cliche by today's standard but there was not a villain like him during those days.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2012, 11:43:26 PM »

Final Fantasy IV.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2012, 10:41:55 AM »

No offense, but you guys sound like you're talking out of your butts about Earthbound's graphics. Don't get me wrong, I like the game and still do. I beat a rental copy three times when it first came out and a few more times on [redacted]. Yeah, its art direction fits the game well, but FF7's has great art direction too.

Basically, Earthbound has always had crappy graphics, but now people decided they like it now because they finally realized the rest of the game is so good (which it is). Final Fantasy VII had good graphics, but over time look dated. Wind Waker (since somebody brought it up) always had good graphics, but people were too butthurt over the cell shading to realize this at first. All of these games have good art direction.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2012, 11:04:21 AM »

I don't know about anyone else, but I've always liked Earthbound's graphics and art direction, ever since the first time I played it when I was 8.  I wasn't aware of anyone thinking the game looked bad, I just saw a fun game about psychic kids beating up goons and monsters, and that it was an RPG which I enjoyed playing.  At the time I still played a lot of NES games, and Earthbound had a lot bigger and cleaner sprites, with a lot of fun, whimsical stylings.  It didn't have the super-detailed spritework of FF4 or FF6, but I would have never described the graphics as bad, even back then.

I do specifically remember being wowed by FF7's graphics, though.  They were a big leap forward at the time, and stuff like that was totally engrossing on its own level.  But I mean, the exact same thing can be said about Atari-era games, and they have a lot of the same problems with graphics and style that early PS1 games do.  The problem is that I don't have many -other- memories of playing that game, I just remember saying "wow that looks cool" a lot.

Looking back on both games from my current vantage point, I can obviously see why I still enjoy a good round of PSI-ROCKIN OMEGA and can't stand shuffling Materia around.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2012, 12:16:22 PM »

I never understood the love Earthbound gets, but that could be because I gave up on it pretty quickly. I was so used to playing fantasy themed games that I was totally turned off by Earthbounds modern day setting. It was all just so silly and ridiculous. I'm sure it's a great game, but I don't regret not giving it a proper shot. To this day, I prefer my games be of the fantasy/sci-fi variety. I live in the present, so why would I want to play a game in it? I say this to myself, then I think of Heavy Rain, which was an awesome game. I guess it all depends on the content. Earthbound really turned me off with it's silly monsters, items, etc.
Maybe it's simply that I prefer my games(books, movies, etc) be of the more serious variety, with occassional hints of humor to lighten the mood.
Good thing I got that worked out. Don't need the Psychotherapist bills.
; - )

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2012, 01:11:56 PM »

Did you play it as a adult? Because the best part of earthbound is playing it as a immature teen with friends watching, laughing together when you see that slime is named 'pile of puke' or at the simple fact that you're attacking hippies with a baseball bat.

If I were to go play it now I doubt that the charm would still be there.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2012, 01:35:56 PM »

No offense, but you guys sound like you're talking out of your butts about Earthbound's graphics. Don't get me wrong, I like the game and still do. I beat a rental copy three times when it first came out and a few more times on [redacted]. Yeah, its art direction fits the game well, but FF7's has great art direction too.

Basically, Earthbound has always had crappy graphics, but now people decided they like it now because they finally realized the rest of the game is so good (which it is). Final Fantasy VII had good graphics, but over time look dated. Wind Waker (since somebody brought it up) always had good graphics, but people were too butthurt over the cell shading to realize this at first. All of these games have good art direction.

Except it doesn't. Speaking as a designer and art director, Earthbound is beautiful. And I didn't need 4 years of higher education, a degree, and 6 years of industry to tell me that. I knew that at 13 years old, because art and technical fidelity are not the same thing. FFVII had great art direction, but it has technical issues which interfere with that. Earthbound does not.

The team behind Earthbound was more than capable of making it look like Chrono Trigger or Seiken Densetsu 3. They didn't, and that was on purpose. Earthbound was meant to be whimsical and childlike. It was meant to allow for a cartoon-like level of expression (not to be confused with animated cartoons, I am talking about cartooning itself), which it succeeds in. As well, it was meant to have a surreal quality, which it also accomplishes.

Now, is it for everyone? No. Earthbound is an "art" game, more than anything. It's Shigesato Itoi delivering a story that is unapologetic in its weirdness, which is pretty much Itoi's calling card. Itoi is whimsy, wit, and weird rolled into a single package, and Earthbound (Mother on the whole) reflects that. He managed to make a game that was not only very light-hearted and strange, but also had really poignant moments, on par with (and largely exceeding) anything Square has had to offer in emotional value.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2012, 01:42:04 PM »

It's still there in full force, unless you're boring.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2012, 03:13:34 PM »

Did you play it as a adult? Because the best part of earthbound is playing it as a immature teen with friends watching, laughing together when you see that slime is named 'pile of puke' or at the simple fact that you're attacking hippies with a baseball bat.

I bought it and played it right when it first came out in the U.S., whenever that was.
*googles*
1995, apparently. I was 19 at the time. Who knows? Maybe I would actually like it now. I would guess not, though, as what you describe above is exactly why I didn't like it then, and still wouldn't like it now. I think I take my entertainment a bit too seriously at times.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2012, 03:19:45 PM »

Or something else (positive) would take its place. It's not JUST the equivalent of a 90s Nickelodean cartoon made into a game, or even something like Adventure Time.

I suspect if Mother 3 had an official US release that'd be more to your liking Grim, given it has a heavier story to it and is more detached from the modern day.

And... artwork can definitely be subjective, but if you want something you'd seriously argue as looking objectively bad you need to look at Deadly Premonition or something, there's a charm to that but I can't fully defend that as "a style" like Earthbound, plus seeing the sprite work for Mother 3 definitely nudges THIS over to "style" for me. Mother 3 has some of the best sprite work I've seen on the GBA, and in most non-fighter 2D games period, but the basic style is still the same as Earthbound's.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2012, 04:41:22 PM »

Deadly Premonition looks as bad as it does because it was originally developed as a PS1 game, and some of the textures from that build are actually still in the game (You can really tell during aerial shots where you can see the tops of trees and other areas you aren't meant to see close).  When they officially decided it was going to be a funny budget game, they threw decided to just go with it because it looked funnier.

That's probably why it's impossible to hold it against them.
ValendianKnight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2012, 06:36:04 PM »

Vagrant Story. Some of the best graphics on PS, fantastic story and one of the most rewarding combat ever. Plus, it brought on the challenge.

"Life Ends so fast, so take your chance and make it last..."
-Chuck Schuldiner(Death)
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2012, 11:47:20 PM »

Except it doesn't. Speaking as a designer and art director, Earthbound is beautiful. And I didn't need 4 years of higher education, a degree, and 6 years of industry to tell me that. I knew that at 13 years old, because art and technical fidelity are not the same thing. FFVII had great art direction, but it has technical issues which interfere with that. Earthbound does not.

The team behind Earthbound was more than capable of making it look like Chrono Trigger or Seiken Densetsu 3. They didn't, and that was on purpose. Earthbound was meant to be whimsical and childlike. It was meant to allow for a cartoon-like level of expression (not to be confused with animated cartoons, I am talking about cartooning itself), which it succeeds in. As well, it was meant to have a surreal quality, which it also accomplishes.

I sure am happy for you that you didn't need all of your credentials to tell you all those things about Earthbound. I have pretty much all the same credentials, and I don't need them to help me make decisions about Earthbound's graphics either. I consider Earthbound's graphics average. I agree the art direction is very good, and everyone's continued belaboring of this point makes me think we're talking past each other.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2012, 11:55:49 PM »

Hey guys, I have a med school degree. This entitles me to claim rightfully that Mass Effect 3 is the best game. Forever. It is a fact. Case closed.

Fuck all of you.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 11:57:45 PM by Ashton » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: