Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 01:08:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327629 Posts in 13412 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Black Rock Shooter: The Game
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Black Rock Shooter: The Game  (Read 4819 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2013, 01:53:24 PM »

I see the review is up.

I had to comment, though, that the review refers to the game as being based on the anime a few times, but that really isn't true from what I understand. Other than featuring a character named Black Rock Shooter I don't think they have anything to do with each other.  Rather, BRS started as a simple character illustration on pixiv, which inspired a popular Vocaloid song, which then led to figures and merchandising of the characer, and finally the anime and game.  But story-wise...well, BRS never had a story in the first place.  The details had to be made up.  And it's not as if everyone made up the same thing...

Yeah, it's weird I know.

Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2013, 01:57:10 PM »

I think the pattern was Vocaloid, Song, anime OVA, Anime series, Game (those last two can be switched around since I think they were started around the same time).
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2013, 02:10:40 PM »

Not sure what you mean by 'Vocaloid' there.  The song was a Vocaloid song (Hastune Miku, specifically), but there was never a BRS Vocaloid character.  The character began as just an illustration by the artist Huke.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2013, 02:47:51 PM »

I see the review is up.

I had to comment, though, that the review refers to the game as being based on the anime a few times, but that really isn't true from what I understand. Other than featuring a character named Black Rock Shooter I don't think they have anything to do with each other.  Rather, BRS started as a simple character illustration on pixiv, which inspired a popular Vocaloid song, which then led to figures and merchandising of the characer, and finally the anime and game.  But story-wise...well, BRS never had a story in the first place.  The details had to be made up.  And it's not as if everyone made up the same thing...

Yeah, it's weird I know.

^ that's one of those things that I'd call nuance but a fan would probably turn into the Roman guard and crucify someone on.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2013, 03:28:45 PM »

Thanks, Dice. :)  I, for one, would certainly argue for your point of view.  I see Kevadu's point, though, that "based on" can be more tricky than it seems.

In this case, as a reviewer, you have to decide how much info actually matters to the review.  In this case, the game's plot is so bare-bones that it didn't make sense to delve any more deeply into the source material.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2013, 04:07:18 PM »

sorry if I sounded like a prick...

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2013, 04:11:34 PM »

This is like that time I said in my review of of Chanteilse that it was the successor to Recettear and I got 20 emails telling me that Chantelise came out first in Japan. Yes, I knew that when I wrote the review, but it came over here after Recettear and that's what it's going to be compared too. ಠ_ಠ

Sorry, I kept that one inside for a while.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2013, 04:21:09 PM »

sorry if I sounded like a prick...

Absolutely not.  I was just trying to say that I can understand both points of view.  But that I agree with you. :)

On the upside, Star, you know that at least 20 people read your review...

—Kurt Vonnegut
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2013, 04:30:29 PM »

Haha, I would hope well over 20 people. :P

I totally get what Tooker says about whether or not its important to the review. There is absolutely no need to include a paragraph detailing its bizarre history from song to game. Maybe if someone was making a big feature about the game, which seems more than it deserves, it would be included but a review isn't a wikipedia page.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2013, 04:32:50 PM »

I'm not suggesting you talk about the whole history, it's just that saying it's based on the anime isn't really accurate.  Maybe 'related to' would be better.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2013, 04:58:58 PM »

Please inform us if there are any emails with regards to the BRS review. xD

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2013, 05:12:36 PM »

Oh I will. :)  It'd be pretty surprising.  In about 5 1/2 years, I think I've averaged less than 1 actual email/PM per year regarding one of my reviews.  I can remember one compliment, one complaint, and most recently, one question.

Of course, having heard from Kim about the responses she's gotten to her perfectly reasonable and high-quality reviews now that she's getting paid to do this, I'm not sure that more comments is a good thing.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2013, 06:40:50 PM »

Wow. I'm a little surprised by this review Tooks!

I didn't look to see what anyone else had to say before playing. I just dove head-first. And while I agree with you that there's a TON of missed potential here, the core concepts of the game (both the mechanics of the combat, and the overall arc of the story) are fantastic as they are. For a $20 PSN game I'd have given it somewhere in the 80% range.

There are so many spoiler-specific details I want to talk about with other human beings. So if someone wants to start the spoiler /code stuff, I have things I want to discuss / analyze! I really like the bleakness of this world. I thought scenario writer Kazushige Nojima (whose other works I tend to enjoy) did a great job!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 07:15:28 PM by Ramza » Logged

cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2013, 07:51:32 PM »

I love the music, graphics, and general aesthetics of the game, but I agree the story is the weakest part. The only interesting characters are BRS and the aliens, and they get almost no development.

I like how snarky BRS can get, and that she's not just emotionless robot girl #245.

The motorcycle segments are a blast, brief as they are.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2013, 07:17:27 PM »

The motorcycle segments are a blast, brief as they are.

The "take no damage" challenges for the bike sequences drive me insane. I've completed 0 so far and I've attempted maybe 15 times.

I actually like the lack of development for the characters. I love that the character who gets the most development, in his best moments, is Rothcall ... and ...

Code:
I love that his character just STARTS to become really interesting, and he has really interesting things to say about the resilient spirit of humanity, and then BAM cut down. That was an insane choice to follow through with and I think there need to be more stories that are willing to take that risk.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: