Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 02:24:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331908 Posts in 13590 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Black Rock Shooter: The Game
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Black Rock Shooter: The Game  (Read 5330 times)
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2013, 07:38:51 PM »

I actually like the lack of development for the characters.

I'm pretty sure I've never agreed with this statement in anything ever. But I could be wrong. I don't think I can ascribe something I'd consider a storytelling flaw to a "bold choice." If it is a choice, that is. Hmm. Different strokes, I guess.

What I've played of this game so far hasn't really impressed me. It feels a bit clunky, and I think my opinion is going to fall more in line with Tooker's view. Still, glad it was able to be released here!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 07:40:36 PM by Taelus » Logged

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2013, 07:44:22 PM »

I actually like the lack of development for the characters.

I'm pretty sure I've never agreed with this statement in anything ever. But I could be wrong. I don't think I can ascribe something I'd consider a storytelling flaw to a "bold choice." If it is a choice, that is. Hmm. Different strokes, I guess.

What I've played of this game so far hasn't really impressed me. It feels a bit clunky, and I think my opinion is going to fall more in line with Tooker's view. Still, glad it was able to be released here!

I think I mainly only agree with that in games that are more gameplay first with a minimalist story (which CAN still be good), or if they're deliberately creating an odd sense of isolation.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2013, 07:47:19 PM »

Argh - that motorcycle challenge.  I did succeed in passing one of them with no damage, but I eventually gave up on the second.  Didn't really try very many times on the third.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2013, 07:48:58 PM »

I think minimalism is awesome too, and can be done very well-- like Dark Souls! However, I'm not familiar with the rest of the source material here, and it really feels like something is missing in this game.

But then again, could just be that I'm not the target audience.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2013, 09:24:32 PM »

I haven't beaten it yet (in stage 5) but I mostly agree with the review.  It's rare I play something so easy to make fun of.  How do these humans know they are the last people alive?  Don't they realize humanity is basically over already since they are all men?  Why do they seem so enthusiastic and upbeat when they are so screwed?  Why couldn't imageepoc just make a real action game?  Why are the enemy designs so terrible? Where's my sexy pose button? Etc etc

Despite my gripes I still like the game well enough I don't feel robbed for spending $20 on it.  It seems I estimated how much I'd like it pretty accurately.  I do think the music should have a higher score, some of the tracks are pretty badass.  The overall game is  hovering around 7/10 for me
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2013, 07:09:54 PM »

or if they're deliberately creating an odd sense of isolation.

For me, that's how I felt about this game. If you can try to get yourself in the shoes of BRS/Stella herself, become the character ... in that scenario, life starts bleak and gets BLEAKER. I dig that.

cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2013, 11:56:08 PM »

Yeah, I agree.

The end of Chapter 3 was one heck of a sucker punch. It single-handedly redeemed the story.

And my favorite non-BRS character was the commander. (Speaks volumes that I can't remember his name...)

Also, I still don't get what 'neblading' means.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 11:58:23 PM by cj_iwakura » Logged

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2013, 12:19:53 AM »

They kind of give you enough by the end of the game that you know more or less what it is, but they never really go into detail.  I'm not sure that's altogether a bad thing, particularly given that the folks who like the story like that it's ambiguous.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2013, 01:58:21 AM »

So I beat the game and also just did the alternate ending.  I gotta say I really like the way they handled the extra content.  They only make you do the missions that are different because of the alternate ending rather than making you do a newgame+ and go through the whole game again.  The mission structure allows for this and I really like that.  I just beat the motorcycle extra mission to get it to 360km that took me quite a few tries.  Haven't done any of the no damage ones but I'm sure I can at least get the first one.  

The story works well and it kinda has an "action movie" feel to it I think.  It's not overly complicated but other than making fun of certain things it's pretty decent.  I have to say though I wasn't really surprised that
Code:
All the humans died.  Why?  The character designs all look like fodder lol...even Rothcall.  I was kinda expecting them all to die from the get go.  When you compare how boring the human designs were (hell they almost all have the same body just swap the head) to BRS and the aliens they just look expendable from a character design standpoint (and yes I know basically everyone else in this game died too but they were bosses so duh).

I was actually expecting Nana to become WRS but that didn't happen so I was wrong there.  I'm a little confused about WRS though.  I guess she is Sing Love and she was an alien all along? So BRS is a clone of an alien?

oh also the story gets merit points for avoiding "the evil demon king/whateaver is going to be revived oh noes" and you don't kill god and hear some bullshit about making your own destiny.  points for that :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 02:05:11 AM by TiamatNM » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: