Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 01:12:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319300 Posts in 13036 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Which RPG Should I Play?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Which RPG Should I Play?  (Read 1886 times)
Klyde Chroma
Novice Bulimic in training.

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 05:58:49 PM »

That is so weird... I had nearly the exact same "classic gaming to get to" list myself a little over a year ago..... mine looked something like this....

-Lunar Silver Star Story and Eternal Blue for the PS (though I already played through the sega cd version of both silver star and eternal blue)
-Breath of Fire 3
-Secret of Mana 3 (seiken densetsu 3/ super famicom)
-Wild Arms Series (never played, so the first was on the agenda)
-Earthbound
- The first Star Ocean
- Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
-Dot Hack (like wild arms, never played so the first of the quadrilogy was on deck)

Of my list, thus far I got to or through all but Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, with my current playthrough being Breath of Fire 3.

I'll cut to the chase.... of everything on my list (and yours) I have been enjoying Breath of Fire 3 the most. I didn't jump right to it, because honestly I didn't expect I'd love it this much.... All my current gen playthroughs have been totally put on hold... I can't help it, I'm addicted.... And before this I was really enjoying Agarest 2, Growlanser WoT and Hyperdimension MK2....

With that said, I want to touch upon a few things....

Breath of Fire 3- Just cause I like it this much, it isn't my suggestion for you.... why??? Its freakin' reeeeal hard for an RPG of its type. I love it for it... its flaws however make me think that you may enjoy something else from your list a bit more.... I needn't say more since youve been reading the Daily Gaming Journal

Lunar- I liked both the PS remakes more so then the Sega CD originals... To be honest I can't really see how anyone (save for the sake of nostalgia) could argue the Sega CD titles are superior in any way. Of course that is a subjective matter...

Wild Arms- Being anal about missing out on "the best way to play", I tried the first five hours or so of both Alter Code F and the Orginal... In contrast to popular opinion I enjoyed Alter Code F more and continued with it.... However my enjoyment of wild arms waned mid game... and it is looooooong let me tell you..... Not a bad game by any means... but I do feel you'd enjoy other stuff on your list alot more

Legend of Heroes- Totally one of my favorites on the PSP, but it doesn't beat Lunar or Breath of Fire in my eyes.... I did enjoy it way more than wild arms though......

Final Fantasy VI:  While it is my favorite final fantasy..... it is a final fantasy.... you know what to expect.... I wouldn't go this avenue if I were you because you already sampled it and it didn't beckon to you bad enough to get back to it yet. If I try one RPG and I'm still thinking about playing others, typically I enjoy one the "others" more...

Tales of Symphonia: Great freakin' tales installment here. But once again, it is a tales game. You know exactly what to expect.... especially since you already said you played through a bit of it... the long and the short of it though IMO is it can't hold a candle to Lunar, Breath of Fire 3 or FF6....

So ultimately I say go Lunar.... I don't think you can go wrong there....

this signature is Blace's fault...
Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 08:34:34 PM »

Update!

It sounds like Final Fantasy VI should be set asside for now. I'll probably stick to the VC version when I go back to it.

Breath of Fire III has gotten surprisingly few recommendations so far. Not putting it aside yet, but it's close. I'm guessing it would be a better idea to finish the first two games in the series first? (Well, more likely there are just better games to play right now)

People are making good points about Tales of Symphonia, mainly that I'm already knee deep in it, so I may as well finish it. I just wonder how easy it is for me to really get into a game when I'm resuming from almost halfway in...

Lunar is getting high praise. I'll definitely have to give it more consideration.

Trails in the Sky and Wild Arms sound like they'd be something different. Now I have more confidence in them, too.

I'll make my decision in the morning (9:00 AM EST). In the meantime, if anyone else has any recommendations, I'd be very interested in hearing them.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 08:47:35 PM »

The games aren't really connected other than having a character named Ryu.
I'm playing BOF 3 right now on my PSP and I'm actually enjoying it. It's a very traditional rpg, but it's been so long since I played one that I'm actually enjoying it.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 11:00:29 PM »

IMO... Lunar > Trails> Wild Arms....take it for what it's worth, in other words not much, lol, just my two cents

Everything's Eventual
GuardianBoi

SOphie!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 11:46:36 PM »

Wow, it seems like we've all been in a retro RPG mood lately. I think the biggest reason why is that barely ANY RPG's have come out recently. It's very few and far between. Anyway, here's my opinion:

Final Fantasy VI is by far my favorite game ever. I have beaten the HELL out of it more times than I can count. Hell, I can probably quote most of dialogue. Haha. Now, that's not to say that you should pick it up immediately. Out of the few you're jumping between, you might want to set it aside, but you NEED to come back to it. Give it some TLC and you'll understand why it's the best in the series. :)

Breath of Fire 3 is a fantastic game with some good characters and a good battle system but like everyone else said, it's incredibly hard. I got stuck, and I mean STUCK. To a point where I just couldnt bring myself to continue because i felt there was nothing else i could do. if you can get past that part though, more power to you. :)

Wild Arms 1 is iffy to me. I played the first one back in the day and liked it enough so when the remake, Alter Code F, came out, i was all about it. But even then, my interest started to lack a little while into it. But i will say, out of the 2, I would prefer the remake. The updated graphics and battle engine are refreshing. I'm actually playing Wild Arms 2 as we speak. Another one of my favorite games ever. :)

Lunar has been remade more times than i can keep track of, but the story is something to keep you into it. It's just fun. I played the first one on PSone a LONG time ago and loved it. I've personally never gotten around to playing any of the remakes though. Lunar 2 in another incredible game. :)

Trails in the Sky was a MUCH better game than i anticipated. I got bored after the first 2 hours but i stuck through it and LOVED it by the end. Great great story. And the fact that searching empty treasure chests prompted a new response EVERY single time was just genius on the writers' part. :)

Tales of Symphonia. Yes. As I'm sure you can gather, I am a Tales Of nut. This is the one i would recommend. It's not my favorite Tales game. I personally think Graces, Abyss and Vesperia are better...in the order. But it's still a fantastic game. Good story, battle system thats never boring and fun characters. And if you are already so far into it, it has a good ending. Plus, you may learn to LOVE the game and want more Tales....which there is plenty of.

Sorry for the long response, its just all these games are pretty close to my heart. haha. :) ENJOY WHICH EVER GAME YOU END UP WITH!!!!

pigTails of...
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 10:13:46 AM »

I decided to pick Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete. Thanks for all the suggestions, everybody. You'll know how it goes when I post in the New Game Journal.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2012, 08:17:06 PM »

I think Lunar is sort of grindy at the start but it gets considerably less so as the game goes on, and around Vane or so you really need to rely more on strategy than anything. or maybe I was just really bad at it and made up for it via grinding.

The battle system actually has some little details that... really make it a lot of fun. I just seem to recall the game having a slow start, although honestly it's a damn good game.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 09:00:50 AM »

Thanks for the tip, Mesh. I'll try to remember that when I play it, which should be some time this afternoon.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: