Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 04:56:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335289 Posts in 13727 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Is Zelda Skyward Sword really the best Zelda game ever?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Is Zelda Skyward Sword really the best Zelda game ever?  (Read 4542 times)
Zool

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 22, 2012, 02:58:35 PM »

Is Zelda Skyward Sword really the best Zelda game ever? Thats what most reviewers are saying.

I am half way through it and although it's a good game it's not the leap forward I thought it was going to be according to the game magazines previews last year.

Has anyone played Zelda Skyward Sword and The Last Story?  What do you rate the better game?
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 03:05:38 PM »

No the best game ever is Treasure Island Dizzy.  Any argument against that fact(yes its a fact look it up), will be ridiculed and laugh at. :P

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 03:49:22 PM »

Is Zelda Skyward Sword really the best Zelda game ever? Thats what most reviewers are saying.

I think some of these reviewers still have the excitability they had as 8 year olds playing the latest Zelda. Or maybe by rushing through they never let the high wear off, but that's probably a case-by-case thing since I can just as easily see getting nauseated from a rush.

Personally, I thought it was disappointing and am SOMEWHAT baffled at some of the high praise. Somewhat, because I really think it depends at least partially on what you want out of Zelda, Dark Souls scratched that semi-non-linear itch that Zelda and Metroid USED to excel at, and partially as a result of that it was one of my favorite games of last year. Haven't played Last Story to compare though, but it sounds like it's basically Gears of War: the RPG, probably moreso than Mass Effect despite cribbing its combat system with the very first game. I HAVE played Xenoblade however and liked that lots more than Zelda.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 04:38:16 PM by Eusis » Logged
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 04:14:27 PM »

Agreed with Eusis. I think some reviewers are just so excited to be playing another Zelda game that they overlook it's (very glaring) flaws.
I haven't beat it yet, but I'm literally right at the end. 74 hours put in. I can tell you that on a numeric scale I wouldn't give it any higher than an 8. The game is fun, the graphics are nice, and most of the dungeons are well designed, BUT...
It is ULTRA-repetitive. There is simply not enough variety in it's environments. You keep going back to the same areas over and over again. Same with the music. It's good during the cut scenes and such, but the rest of it is just kind of there. This saddens me greatly, as I was hoping for a killer soundtrack.
Then there's the ultra annoying Fi, who simply will not leave you alone. I wish there was a way to turn her off. Would have made the game a bit more enjoyable.
I also have a problem with the way you buy things. It's just not user friendly. Same thing with the collection process. It was so annoying to have the game bog down when you found an item. It should have only happened the first time you found it, and that's it.
Accessing items, and switching accessories during battle was a pain, too. I don't know how many times I got wailed on when trying to do this.
But...um...yeah. It really IS a good game. Just nowhere near perfect like some would have you believe.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 04:17:24 PM »

At the end of the day... I thought it was pretty bad.  Try saying that to a Zelda fan though.  I got reamed out here for saying it a few times.

Find Zelda!
Now prove yourself by getting the flames!
Now get the song of the hero!
Get the Triforce!
I guess you've done enough, okay, go after Ghirahim now!

Worst offense: you can't even fucking go fishing wtf.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 04:45:49 PM »

I'm with Eusis and GrimReality  on this, some reviewers let hype and nostalgia get the best out of them.
I'm by no means your usual Zelda fan, as only last year I played a game in the series I truly enjoyed before Skyward Sword (Wind Waker and Spirit Tracks) but I did like it a lot!

Aside that, let's be honest and apply this not only to Zelda but any other big game franchise with long history. I don't think people come to a consensus about which one is the best or whatever. Even the super popular Final Fantasy VII doesn't get it that easily. Other example I believe is to try to point out the best Mario game.
For example for me, I love my platformers to be challenging on the platforming, while I still love Mario 64 I think I prefer Mario Galaxy 2 or Super Mario World.

Bottom line for me, I think the games in question to be taken as the best by most fans would have to be probably fresh IPs, done in about the same generation, or at least long revived IPs.
Even so I think my argument is still kind of broken, thinking quickly in Demons/Dark Souls, while one improves much on the other there sure are things about the predecessor to make it better from someone else's standpoint.

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 05:32:53 PM »

Yup, agreed with everyone else. Good game, but one of the least exciting Zeldas. And that is coming from a massive Zelda fan. :P

AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 05:42:20 PM »

Since there are way too many biased fans, I'd say no, but the game is pretty enjoyable in its own right anyway.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 06:39:17 PM »

Since there are way too many biased fans, I'd say no, but the game is pretty enjoyable in its own right anyway.

Yeah, as much as Zelda may drift from what I like and be overbearing in guiding players (I seriously hope they take the hint and dial the next guide character way the fuck down) it's still a very good game. That's what separates Nintendo from the likes of Sonic Team, their worst is (usually) still "pretty good" or just not to your taste, rather than an out and out failure that few will defend or like.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 08:11:45 PM »

It's amusing when you think about how much effort Nintendo's put into the Superguide idea in recent games to have almost completely ignored it for SS.

And now that I've had some time between release and now as well as a second playthrough I'll admit that the game unfortunately took too many of the design notes (both the strengths and the flaws) from the DS games. The worst thing was that Harp playing minigame which felt way too much like the Pan Flute from ST which has to be one of the worst implementations of an instrument in a Zelda game. At least with the Harp you were given enough leeway to get through the plot required performances whereas that damn Pan Flute nearly stopped my playthrough cold twice due to poor implementation and a distinct lack of feedback. As for the repeating bosses, I didn't mind boss refights that much (technically speaking most of the series can be summed up as a series of boss refights) plus I grew up on Original Zelda which had like seven different boss designs spread across 18 dungeons nevermind many of them getting demoted to midboss status later on; besides the final Grigham fight was fucking awesome if a bit annoying due to the finicky motion controls. The lack of either a proper overworld or a Metroidvania style overworld was also disappointing.

That said, I'm still impressed they managed to get the motion controls as well as they did. I felt that fact alone made up for a number of the smaller issues that plagued the game, but for the next one I would like them to address those issues.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Wingman

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 08:19:47 PM »

It's a good game, but in my opinion, Link to the Past is still the best game in the series.
Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 10:22:30 PM »

At the end of the day... I thought it was pretty bad.  Try saying that to a Zelda fan though.  I got reamed out here for saying it a few times.

Find Zelda!
Now prove yourself by getting the flames!
Now get the song of the hero!
Get the Triforce!
I guess you've done enough, okay, go after Ghirahim now!

Worst offense: you can't even fucking go fishing wtf.

No, no, I definitely am with you on this. I was so underwhelmed and disappointed by this game, and hell, I'm not sure why considering I even liked TP when that first came out. If you complain about the horrid controls, suddenly they tell you that no, the controls aren't bad, you just suck at the game. XD The whole thing just felt like same old same old, and I played so many better games with less stiff controls last year that SS felt very old when it came out. Hell, Windwaker had better camera control. The guide was annoying as hell with the percentage thing, and the dungeons felt really lacking.

I might give it another go, someday, but I haven't really liked Zelda since Minish Cap. Everything after just hasn't really done it for me.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 11:19:41 PM »

I didn't like how "INNOVATIVE SWORD SWINGING ACTION ACTION ACTION" took precedence over doing cool shit with items.

The vacuum was dubious.

The bow and arrow was seriously underplayed.

The fucking whip???  Really??
It COULD have been cool, I liked Indiana Jones-ing it across a chasm.  And I LOOOVED the boss fight where you used it.  But wtf, how does a whip slug things down like that?  And, my favorite, in the final dungeon, the whip is used on a lever that's not even across some bottomless pit... you just need the whip to yank the lever.... your hands don't work for that, evidently... wtf.

It was super obnoxious to have a a plaza to do your shopping, and sit through the same shitty dialogue each time you went.  It's funny.  I thought games were supposed to improve features... why the fuck can't you scroll through text like every other goddamn game in the series??  Restarting your shield from scratch each time was super dumb as well.

Fighting the Imprisoned (...3 times), on a 2nd playthrough, is something I never want to do in my life.  Ever.

I didn't find the dungeons that exciting either.  No cool moment where everything made sense (like OoT's Forest Temple where you feel so lost to start).  No awesome gadget that opened the dungeon up (like the awesome Spinner in TP).  No really cool sidequests (MM) -- and being rewarded "gratitude" sounds like something you'd do in Kindergarten.

And, the final nail in the coffin....
"Link.... I USED YOU!!!"

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 12:07:55 AM »

2nd playthrough?! If you didn't like it, why would you play it again? Odd.
I agree with all that you said above, although I liked the dungeons a bit more. I found the back and forth time stuff kinda cool in the sand area. It was obvious the designers were proud of themselves, though, because they kept using it over and over again.
The final dungeon:
Code:
WTF? I was expecting some huge, epic coolness, and all I got was yet another rehash of the same three areas. Big time FAIL there.
And not a single memorable tune. I can still hum the music from Link to the Past, but I've already forgotten the music from this game. And I just beat it 30 minutes ago! Sad.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 12:57:11 AM »

2nd playthrough?! If you didn't like it, why would you play it again? Odd.
I agree with all that you said above, although I liked the dungeons a bit more. I found the back and forth time stuff kinda cool in the sand area. It was obvious the designers were proud of themselves, though, because they kept using it over and over again.
The final dungeon:
Code:
WTF? I was expecting some huge, epic coolness, and all I got was yet another rehash of the same three areas. Big time FAIL there.
And not a single memorable tune. I can still hum the music from Link to the Past, but I've already forgotten the music from this game. And I just beat it 30 minutes ago! Sad.

That's right. I knew I was forgetting something. It was the forgettable music. The melodies played on the harp were by far and away the best pieces so naturally they had to only come up during the plot and only when you either learned it or used it the one and only time per run. Otherwise I'd say the later boss music was the next best theme (i.e. the one they used for the water dungeon's boss fight), followed by Grigham's theme.

The dungeons were really the best part of the game for completely different reasons than TP's dungeons being the best part of the game were (English translation: TP's were long and involved and served as the high points of a dull and lifeless adventure whereas SS's were short and sweet and opted to make efficient use of their design versus the long and repetitive slogs through the various zones save that last one which was undeniably phoned in).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: