Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 08:42:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330183 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Who is getting Kid Icarus uprising
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Who is getting Kid Icarus uprising  (Read 1932 times)
Zool

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 23, 2012, 03:02:23 PM »

If you can overlook the control system it's a great game, say the reviews. And it seems to be scoring into the 90% or so.

I will get it because I have a 3ds and very little new games for it. But could that 'if you can over look' quote not apply to all games.

If you can overlook the graphics

If you can overlook the poor game play

If you can overlook the music

etc.

Maybe the score should reflect the control system.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 04:36:39 PM »

Maybe the score should reflect the control system.

Condemn it after you try it, I've gotten my hands on it and it plays great for the most part, especially when flying. If they botched this we'd have probably been seeing scores way, way lower given how important it is.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 05:31:03 PM »

Heard only good things from this game on the 8-4 play podcast last night. Pretty curious to give it a try now.

What I'm most amazed though is the composers they got for the soundtrack. I mean damn.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 07:08:14 PM »

I got it. Enjoy it a lot. The shooting sections are pretty fun. The platforming sections... kind of piss me off, in that Uncharted way, which is definitely not a good thing. Also, Pit was a better character when he didn't yak his head off.

Overall, solid 7/10 so far.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 07:24:20 PM »

Now that I spent more time with it I think ideally I'd juggle both this control scheme and the Circle Pad Pro. In air it's perfect, but on land... yeah, I'd rather be using the second analog to look around, and to have an actual jump button for that matter. Juggle with the stylus for when it actually matters though, sometimes that finer aim is good to have.
Zool

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 07:49:44 AM »

I bought the game yesterday and I am not happy with the controls. I will give it more time and see what happens but I get the feeling that I will be trading the game in before i finish it.

Just because the 3Ds has 3d and a touch screen does not mean that they both work together. I'm only glad that Nintendo did not have us blowing into the mic. to keep things in the air.

I wonder if the delay in getting the game released was because of the controls and in the end rather than any alter things it was easier to stick a plastic rack into the package.

I can see the reviews for the next Kid game.... 'glad the daft stylus control has been done away with etc.'. but my worry is that because most reviewers have not lowered the score to reflect the bad controls, Nintendo will take this as a positive and have more games played this way.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 01:42:28 PM »

Started playing it today. It's taking a bit to get used to the controls. It's hard to move and aim at the same time, but I'll get used to it eventually.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Zool

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 02:30:37 PM »

Yes after two days it's becoming more playable.

But I thought Nintendo's strategy was to make games more accessible, easier to play, hence the wii remote and the stylus.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 05:50:21 PM »

Yes after two days it's becoming more playable.

But I thought Nintendo's strategy was to make games more accessible, easier to play, hence the wii remote and the stylus.

The game is easy to play. You move with the circle pad, shoot with L and aim with the stylus. It's just a matter of getting used to the control scheme. I tried messing around with adjusting the speed of the reticle, but I couldn't be bothered taking all that time to figure what exactly works best. I haven't tried using the stand yet, but I can see it coming in handy. My left wrist starts to get tired from holding the 3DS up after a half hour.

After finishing the second stage I'm more comfortable playing and I can see it becoming one of my favorites so far for the 3DS.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 09:27:02 PM »

This game is awesome as ****.  The stand is handy... I don't know how its meant to be used, but I have perched it on my knee, with the 3DS hanging off to the left (versus centered on it) and it frees up my right hand completely (instead of forcing the knife-edge of my hand into the system to help 'hold' it up).

Don't let control issues phase you.  There is so much more going on with this game, good lord.  It captures that charismatic, light-hearted, goofy anime style perfectly, constantly (check out the anime through Nintendo Video too).  What solidifies it, in my opinion, is the weapons... like a lite diablo system mixed with PSO, the weapons give you the sense of persistence and progress.  You can fuse them too, damn man.

I have been meaning to try multiplayer for days now, but each time I play a solo level, I am so overwhelmed by the amount of shit happening that I am spent by the time one 'round' is over.

And the production value?  This whole game is definitely AAA, I'd call it AAAA.  I thought the hype was there because the 3DS didn't have much else, and hey, its Kid Icarus!  But no, this is some fucking AAA ass shit.

Before you remember me talking about Operation Raccoon City being decent in that other thread, know that I traded that in for Tales of Graces f this afternoon.  Poor shooting mechanics in the long run.  This re-validates my opinions, and KI:U is really good.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 07:42:05 PM »

I grossly underestimated the usefulness of the stand. This thing is awesome. My hand doesn't cramp up anymore, and it's so much easier to view the 3D effect while I'm playing. I'm going to be using this stand for any future games that require it. I think it will come in handy if I ever want to play Knights in the Nightmare again.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 02:00:28 PM »

If you ask me, if you design a game in such a way that the control scheme needs a stand to not give you carpal tunnel syndrome, there is something FUNDAMENTALLY WRONG WITH YOUR GAME.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 03:47:49 PM »

If you ask me, if you design a game in such a way that the control scheme needs a stand to not give you carpal tunnel syndrome, there is something FUNDAMENTALLY WRONG WITH YOUR GAME.

There's nothing wrong with the game and you don't need the stand. I can play it just fine without the stand, but it's better to use it if I'm going to be playing for extended periods.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 01:04:08 AM »

Kid Icarus: Uprising prototype footage
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 03:22:37 AM »

Just started playing my copy today and it's great so far. The controls are certainly clunky, but not game-breaking. Looking forward to playing more!

Oh, and the AR cards are cute.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: