Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 08:30:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340863 Posts in 13928 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Class of Heroes 2 Kickstarter by MonkeyPaw Games and Gaijin Works
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Class of Heroes 2 Kickstarter by MonkeyPaw Games and Gaijin Works  (Read 7509 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 02:56:37 PM »

Well Double Fine got something like 3 million for an adventure game, so I don't agree that half a million seems high.

However, I agree there were way better choices for a testing of the waters for this kind of release.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 03:01:05 PM »

Double Fine is an exception and not a rule, though.  You've got one of the most well known (and well loved) faces in games development who has a track record of quality titles.

MonkeyPaw has... the new Burgertime?  Publishing some PSone classics that are still in Japanese?

Victor Ireland may have some draw, as people may remember him from Working Designs, but he's not Tim Schafer.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 03:04:41 PM »

And likely you'd need a game that'd also draw in the WD crowd more. If this were, say, Growlanser 1 you'd probably have a lot of people eager to throw money at this, whereas here it's... even if it's better will it have become something I WANT?
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 03:08:12 PM »

How much better can Class of Heroes 2 be than Class of Heroes? I don't want to back this project if the game sucks. I love first person dungeon crawlers, but like someone said earlier, I can just fire up Etrian Odyssey or Strange Journey and get my fix.

"Oh, a hunter..."
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 03:19:59 PM »

Kickstarter Link

...they really expect someone to donate $10K as a singular offer? How much crack are these people on? XP Not to mention they expect to raise $500K in 30 days...

Prize for trip to Japan costs $25K+, earning a character in the game costs $50K+

...and it just moved from 'you guys are ridiculous' to 'you guys are ***clowns'.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 03:23:38 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 03:22:41 PM »

And likely you'd need a game that'd also draw in the WD crowd more. If this were, say, Growlanser 1 you'd probably have a lot of people eager to throw money at this, whereas here it's... even if it's better will it have become something I WANT?

I'd donate to a Growlanser fund, I admit.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 03:35:37 PM »

Kickstarter Link

...they really expect someone to donate $10K as a singular offer? How much crack are these people on? XP Not to mention they expect to raise $500K in 30 days...

To play the other side of the coin, Double Fine got 4 people to donate 10K and 10 people to donate 5K.   http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure

cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 03:45:28 PM »

How much better can Class of Heroes 2 be than Class of Heroes? I don't want to back this project if the game sucks. I love first person dungeon crawlers, but like someone said earlier, I can just fire up Etrian Odyssey or Strange Journey and get my fix.

I'm a bit skeptical, but they say it's better, and hey, Working Designs localization! That's usually worth the price of admission.

Honestly, for me, supporting this is half supporting WD, half supporting future endeavors of the sort.

If this for Growlanser, yeesh, I'd be going insane. But I understand they have to be realistic, and they were limited to the devs that were open to the idea, like Acquire. (So obviously that excludes anything Sega, Konami, Namco, etc.)

Come to think of it, would've been awesome if they went after Starfish and the Elminage games, but I guess CoH has more of a reputation.

Can someone share the full list of the perks? Can't see them here.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 03:46:10 PM »

Kickstarter Link

To play the other side of the coin, Double Fine got 4 people to donate 10K and 10 people to donate 5K.   http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure

Fair point; but isn't that a completely different market base? I glanced over their kickstarter since I'm in a rush and didn't see anything mentioning any specific game or genre; more like a 'universal appeal'. I'd expect gamers as a 'whole culture' to be able to have a few individuals who could donate that chunk of change just because they wanted to. The JRPG niche crowd, not so much; if only for the far smaller number of supporters.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 03:54:39 PM »

Kickstarter Link

Fair point; but isn't that a completely different market base? I glanced over their kickstarter since I'm in a rush and didn't see anything mentioning any specific game or genre; more like a 'universal appeal'. I'd expect gamers as a 'whole culture' to be able to have a few individuals who could donate that chunk of change just because they wanted to. The JRPG niche crowd, not so much; if only for the far smaller number of supporters.

Oh, I know.  My previous post before that was how these were relative unknowns with a smaller reach.  Wouldn't surprise me if there were at least one crazy JRPG fan, though.

Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 04:27:42 PM »

The one thing though, is that even if this attempt fails, the game is still getting a digital release.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 04:32:08 PM »

Well Double Fine got something like 3 million for an adventure game, so I don't agree that half a million seems high.

In addition to what others have said, keep in mind that the Double Fine thing was for developing a completely new game.  This is just localization!  The game is already done.  Half a million does seem like an awful lot for localization...

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 05:49:17 PM »

So my problem, aside from the whole Nigerian Prince angle, is the fact that they're basing the health of the western JRPG market on a Moeblob Dungeon Crawler. A game that would do nothing for the SRPG or ARPG fans and little for CRPG fans that can't already be done with other/better games already available. And the worst(best) part about all this is that XSeeD's beating him at his own game with Unchained Blades Rexx.

Basically I'm seeing Ireland, in his attempt at avoiding the mistakes that lead to WD's downfall, going for the opposite extreme.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2012, 07:04:29 PM »

Quote from Vic at NeoGAF, he plans on putting this game through the wringer if we back him.

I did earlier in this thread or maybe in the KS localization thread, but the basic thing is that it was tedious to play. EXTREMELY tedious. There were tons of little stupid things that interrupted any flow you might get into. It was stuff like: Having to pay to see what loot you collected actually wasWhen you got back to school after each dungeon having to restore magic to your magic users and then healing each party member manually because it was too expensive to rest and restore MP/HP for your group.Shock tiles/traps were super annoyingly placed (cheap shots)

Operations required too many keypresses that really added up.Dull dungeons.etc, etc, etcThe CHORE of playing overwhelmed whatever good was there. It's stuff that could have been fixed in a few days or a week in localization, but just wasn't.Some of that's already fixed in CoH2 as we have it (improved dungeons and other items), and I have a rather extensive list of stuff I'd like to do to streamline play to keep players in the flow. How much of that and extra stuff I want to do (extra save slots, for one), depends on the KS support level. I really think we'll get the support to do it all, but even if we fail the digital release will still be worlds better than CoH1.

Sounds great to me.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 06:09:12 PM »

Quote from Vic at NeoGAF, he plans on putting this game through the wringer if we back him.

I did earlier in this thread or maybe in the KS localization thread, but the basic thing is that it was tedious to play. EXTREMELY tedious. There were tons of little stupid things that interrupted any flow you might get into. It was stuff like: Having to pay to see what loot you collected actually wasWhen you got back to school after each dungeon having to restore magic to your magic users and then healing each party member manually because it was too expensive to rest and restore MP/HP for your group.Shock tiles/traps were super annoyingly placed (cheap shots)

Operations required too many keypresses that really added up.Dull dungeons.etc, etc, etcThe CHORE of playing overwhelmed whatever good was there. It's stuff that could have been fixed in a few days or a week in localization, but just wasn't.Some of that's already fixed in CoH2 as we have it (improved dungeons and other items), and I have a rather extensive list of stuff I'd like to do to streamline play to keep players in the flow. How much of that and extra stuff I want to do (extra save slots, for one), depends on the KS support level. I really think we'll get the support to do it all, but even if we fail the digital release will still be worlds better than CoH1.

Sounds great to me.

I've stopped taking stock in what Victor Ireland says. His ideas of 'improvement' often destroys the games he works on. Vay and Lunar: EB (for Sega CD) say hello.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: