Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 11:52:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341124 Posts in 13941 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Muramasa The Demon Blade
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Muramasa The Demon Blade  (Read 1529 times)
Zool

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2012, 05:12:44 PM »

Our UK chain of 'Game'  are closing over 200 of their stores and many of the games are selling at a knock down price.

I bought  Muramasa The Demon Blade for just a few pounds and until I got it home I did not realise that it was an RPG.

Has anyone played it?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 05:15:49 PM by Zool » Logged
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 05:36:10 PM »

I was a HUGE fan of odin sphere, and from what I understand this more of that to a degree.... however due to my backlog of games, Muramasa still sits idle on my shelf.... so I too am interested to hear what anyone has to say about it.... I have to admit being a little turned off by the samurai tone of things.... I'm totally a elf and fairy sort of guy-LoL.... in that regard the, presentation of odin sphere was simply stunning to me.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 05:50:36 PM »

I prefer Odin Sphere but I still like Muramasa quite a bunch. The thing is, like Klyde Chroma here, I got sidetracked and barely played it.

I went in only a few hours and my only complain is the up is jump. Of course it depends on the game but on Muramasa's case the combat is much more refined than Odin Sphere, for example, so I'd like to have more control how to do stuff. Given how I only finished Odin Sphere last year, I may end up playing Muramasa this year or even the next one.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 05:56:49 PM »

I bought it day one and blazed through it in a few days. Wasn't even trying to. It didn't leave a big impression so I don't remember too much. What I do specifically remember is being annoyed by the lack of story and all the pointless 'running back and forth' across the map killing enemies over and over. Not to mention the general lack of interaction between the character. I was at least hoping for Threads of Fate level of twin protagonist interaction. Muramasa pretty much shoved a lot of that potential aside in favor of making the hack and slashing look 'prettier'.

I'd even go so far as to say calling it an 'RPG' is misleading. Dynasty Warriors has more story and character interaction but you don't see anyone championing it as an RPG. XD But I confess I have been removed from Muramasa from far to long to tote that opinion as anything more than murky speculation.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 05:58:33 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 06:49:26 PM »

I bought it day one and blazed through it in a few days. Wasn't even trying to. It didn't leave a big impression so I don't remember too much. What I do specifically remember is being annoyed by the lack of story and all the pointless 'running back and forth' across the map killing enemies over and over. Not to mention the general lack of interaction between the character. I was at least hoping for Threads of Fate level of twin protagonist interaction. Muramasa pretty much shoved a lot of that potential aside in favor of making the hack and slashing look 'prettier'.

I'd even go so far as to say calling it an 'RPG' is misleading. Dynasty Warriors has more story and character interaction but you don't see anyone championing it as an RPG. XD But I confess I have been removed from Muramasa from far to long to tote that opinion as anything more than murky speculation.

I knew there was something about the game that annoyed me, and funny enough, the pretty visuals did get in the way of that opinion.

... I'm just gonna snowball in there: wiimotes suck

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 07:12:19 PM »

I enjoyed it a lot, but the story was weird and badly told. The gameplay was enough to keep me going though. It was repetitive, but... I dunno, I just enjoyed it.

Sorry, that was a really vague couple of sentences. I'm tired. :P

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 07:39:01 PM »

Muramasa was a game that could be described as a pretty Wii action game with a sort of wannabe Metroidvania style gameplay.

Environments are segmented into different rooms and corridors but they're all fairly similar and almost never vertical making the game feel less like exploration and more like a really long, drawn out, side scrolling brawler.

You basically run around collecting swords to get past barriers so that you can get more swords so that you can kill enemies for loot needed to make more swords which you then use to beat bosses for, guess what, more swords used to get past the next barrier.

That said, the controls are nice for what they are; in that you can either mash A to use single stroke attacks or you hold A and swipe the Wiimote to use dash attacks that are weaker but keep you mobile and prevents mobs from mobbing you. Swords break which means that you can only use a sword for a certain length of time but you get to bring a trio of swords with you for switching purposes while your broken swords slowly repair themselves (think cooldown/overheat).

I've only played as Princess Peach but her plot can basically be summed up as 'dead swordsman somehow comes into possession of a chick's body' then you start after the fact and proceed to kick butt while finding out what happened and stuff.

I need to get back to this but my Wii backlog is getting unfortunately large and Xenoblade Chronicles comes out in a week and a half, and by the time I'm done with this Gears of Final Story Creed Teh Last Fantasy will probably be out, and that's not including the games I would like to tackle now (Sin & Punishment 2, ect...).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 08:22:36 PM »

Additionally I recall the endings in general being rather unsatisfactory. Going off memory; the first is 'meh', the second is non-sequitor, and the third is just 'bleh'. They're just excuses to make you replay the game multiple times and it all results in a 'crossover ending' that comes out of left field in an attempt to tie together the two protagonists. I remember it kinda working but coming off really badly due to the aforementioned non-existent effort in tying them together during the main plot.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 10:09:17 PM »

Not to sidetrack the discussion but does it have the ungodly slow down like Odin Sphere? My fear of that has basically kept me from buying it.

Everything's Eventual
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 11:59:28 PM »

Oh, it definitely doesn't have the slowdown. There are a couple bosses, like the centipede one, that would probably cause a PS2 to explode, but on the Wii, there's no slowdown whatsoever.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 12:54:08 AM »

The biggest downgrade is Muramasa's localization. It's not bad, it's just... plain.

From my rudimentary knowledge of Japanese, I can tell this is an extremely poor translation.

No character whatsoever. It's a cliff's notes translation. If that.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
sagagadego09

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 01:53:13 AM »

sounds like igntion for ya. how sad that el shaddai got the better treatment :/
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 10:22:43 AM »

Should have reversed that seeing as El Shaddai's plot wouldn't have made much sense even if Aaron Sorkin hit that with his scripting genius, and Japanese is all "poetic" n shit.

...mind you, if we missed stuff like "My blade is red with the crimson of the autumn leaves, and black in the moonlight as the innocent dove flies across the sky"... then I'm good. :P

I'm kinda sad Momohime (?) wasn't badass on her own.  *sigh* women suck unless they're casting magics.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 10:48:09 AM »

Should have reversed that seeing as El Shaddai's plot wouldn't have made much sense even if Aaron Sorkin hit that with his scripting genius, and Japanese is all "poetic" n shit.

...mind you, if we missed stuff like "My blade is red with the crimson of the autumn leaves, and black in the moonlight as the innocent dove flies across the sky"... then I'm good. :P

I'm kinda sad Momohime (?) wasn't badass on her own.  *sigh* women suck unless they're casting magics.

?

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 11:45:21 AM »

The translation was really bland. It's kind of weird that El Shaddai was the first game that got a good translation. Muramasa was extremely barebones, Arc Rise Fantasia got the horrible voice acting (but the textual translation wasn't that bad), and El Shaddai is the one that could probably get away with a bad translation because it's so insane anyway.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: