Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2014, 04:42:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
328024 Posts in 13432 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Atelier Ayesha
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Atelier Ayesha  (Read 17108 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2013, 06:21:14 PM »

Thanks Dice. It's bad but at least not horrible.
I guess that would be like a C+

I'm still interested in the game, but I'll wait for a price drop.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2013, 06:26:25 PM »

Because the dubs for these games aren't always horrible?  I'd actually say the male VA do a decent job, from my own limited experience with the game, it's mostly the females who are weaker.

And, in some cases, the Japanese voices aren't very good, or are obnoxious as well.  Neptunia comes to mind on both accounts.
Embryon
RPGFan Editor

Achieve enlightenment.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2013, 06:34:50 PM »

I've heard far worse. I don't know why they cast Ayesha with such a ditzy voice, but for the most part, it's just the script that sucks. "Hyah, he's so tall?" Really? :/ The voices are okay, in my opinion, they just needed better writers.

At least we don't have another Arc Rise Fantasia on our hands.

"Man up and take your handjob." - dyeager
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2013, 06:40:46 PM »

The script has some issues, definitely.  I think this is a case of where they took literal translating too far.  It feels very unprofessional, which is strange, considering NISA did a fine job with the Arland series and they apparently did the localization on this.  It feels more like their efforts from 5-6 years ago rather than modern NISA.

I agree, Ayesha should have sounded a bit older, and yes, less ditzy is a good description.  There comes a point where mimicking the Japanese actors isn't always a good thing, and we've reached it here.

Edit: On a completely unrelated note, I can't look away from Ayesha's ribbon.  It just looks so silky and soft. The textures are very impressive.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 06:46:05 PM by Cyril » Logged
Royal

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2013, 03:25:27 PM »

I watched that youtube video and it almost caused me to vomit. I like Agarest policy - original dub only.
Even so, I am Atelier fan so I will buy and play the game, but probably with voice audio turned off.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2013, 05:08:10 PM »

Honestly, an English dub might do Agarest some good.  Some of the voices are absolutely horrendous. Noah and Thoma come to mind immediately, young Ellis, Valeria, and Hidegard would benefit from it as well.

After playing the game more, I have to say that movie probably showcases the worst character's voice. Nanaca is just annoying. The males are decent all around; JYB did a different voice than his usual two or three instantly-recognizable tones and it took me a bit to recognize him because he was so wispy and breathy.  Harry, Kieth, and Juris are all good in spite of a few script issues.  Wendee Lee as Regina bothers me a bit, but she's not horrible, just that she's overused and suffers a few lines from the script - the same can be said of  Michelle Ruff as Marion.  Julie Anne Taylor is fine, much better than the Japanese actress in my humble opinion, as Linca except for the fact that I recently played BlazBlue and can't think of her as anyone but Tsubaki.  Ayesha feels miscast.  

Overall I'd give the voice acting a "decent" rating rather than the initial impression of "bad" or "horrible."

More on the subject of the game itself, I'll be blunt: After 10 hours of playing I'm convinced this is the best Atelier since Violet.

For those who dislike how open and non-goal oriented the games are, this one is definitely more strongly story-based and you always have a clear goal. when you don't, you just wait a few days or synth an item and it'll give you some hints on where to go next.  The time limit is exceedingly lax to the point where it's pretty much pointless beyond dates for yearly competitions and monthly events. For example, delivery quests say they have a time limit, but in truth it's something like 2 years. I considered Totori and Meruru lax, but this is even moreso.

In contrast to many of the games in the series, Ayesha is world-centered rather than character centered.  I mentioned the atmosphere before, and it remains consistently impressive. GUST has spent a lot of time building up the lore.  It's not near Ar tonelico on the lore scale, few games are, but it's still engaging and I enjoyed seeing the locales and learning the mysteries.  Unfortunately, because of this, I'd say it's the characters who suffered overall, but to be quite honest, that's been happening since Iris 2 where the games have become less character-centric overall.

And, on the music side of things, I was shocked to hear some Ar tonelico-esque songs.  For example, this is a dungeon theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkU1pUEVQ70
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 05:24:05 PM by Cyril » Logged
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: March 10, 2013, 05:10:48 AM »

I'm sure no one wants to see me continually posting comments about this game, but. . .

That final dungeon art direction and atmosphere. That vocal final boss theme.  I'm left breathless.  For those interested, I wasn't rushing, and consider myself a thorough completionist, and have 11 months left.  It took about 30 hours.

Code:
I've been avoiding spoilers, so I was genuinely surprised when Nio joined my party, too.
What a pleasant surprise!  I was expecting her to just remain a NPC at Ayesha's house.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 05:15:55 AM by Cyril » Logged
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: March 10, 2013, 12:03:06 PM »

I'll *hopefully* have this by tomorrow and squeeze in an hour or so....then back to a shitload of homework that's denied me friends, pleasures, and any other social life.  I think I talk more on forums these days than people I can fit in and see. D:

...self-bitching.

Glad to hear, Cyril!

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Royal

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2013, 08:51:34 AM »

I have decided and preordered it, because Meruru was simply masterpiece.
For 43e, ETA 15.03.2013. I can't wait.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2013, 07:49:24 PM »

Just a heads up for those just starting: You miss a good 1/3 of the background story if you don't clear Keith's optional events (you'll know them when you see them) before beating the "final" boss. If you do this, you get extra events, explanations, and Ayesha and Keith character development.
Royal

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2013, 02:41:27 PM »

ugh... e-shop wrote me that my pre-order will be delayed for 5 days. I think I am going to watch some youtube gameplay meantime.
Embryon
RPGFan Editor

Achieve enlightenment.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2013, 01:27:41 PM »

Hey, look, a review.

I suspect most of you have either gotten the game or made your decision about it already, but for the few people still waiting (like you, Royal), perhaps my review will ease that pain a tiny bit. :D

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2013, 06:52:59 PM »

Yeah, the reviews took awhile and I think it's the kind of game where only a few reviews like yours will be relevant if you're seriously interested, whereas the bigger sources aren't as big of a deal. I'll need to look at what the likes of Destructoid said, but while I don't think they're likely to really be wrong or anything I also suspect they're not actually relevant to most people who'd care. I guess similar could be said of most games and reviews, but it's probably a bit more extreme here as the series IS kind of low budget and small scale compared to other titles out there with a more specific appeal. Almost like an indie game with a somewhat bigger budget and going for $50+ really, so unlikely to really get high praise but also unlikely to actually be fundamentally busted.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2013, 01:17:12 PM »

I wouldn't mind another Iris-like series with a bigger emphasis on story and battle.  I think I've skipped through about 80% of cutscenes in this game, and probably the bigger shame is the impressive world they build up but don't really dive into...

http://youtu.be/bK7YrJxBIg0
New trailer for A15

She looks more "dusk-like" than Ayesha (almost matching the sky colours on the Ayesha boxart).  I don't really dig on pigtails though.... And yet ponytails are surprisingly rare on these girls.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 01:23:23 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Embryon
RPGFan Editor

Achieve enlightenment.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2013, 01:48:02 PM »

Wow, perfect timing. New heroine is cute. It's kind of comforting to know that we can expect an annual Atelier game at this point.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: