Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 07:32:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319128 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  CAPtivate is going on right now
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: CAPtivate is going on right now  (Read 1013 times)
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: April 04, 2012, 03:55:08 PM »

...but there's a media embargo until next week. Last year Capcom used their special expo to reveal Dragon's Dogma and a few other items; the year before that, everyone freaked out over Marvel vs. Capcom 3. So what's it gonna be this time?

My hope is Monster Hunter Portable 3rd G... in both Japan and the United States. I would get a Vita (mostly) just for that.

cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 03:59:39 PM »

What kind of idiots hold a press event and don't let people talk about it until a week later?

Oh right, Capcom.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 04:11:50 PM »

One of the rumors going around is Darkstalkers 4 (think Morrigan and Felicia).

What kind of idiots hold a press event and don't let people talk about it until a week later?

Oh right, Capcom.

^^

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 07:25:32 PM »

One of the rumors going around is Darkstalkers 4 (think Morrigan and Felicia).

I'm excited if this ends up being true, but I'm also afraid of what it could end up being... after all, I haven't liked all that much the direction that Capcom took with their fighting games this generation.

And there's no in hell that they can do another fighting game(s) as good as Street Fighter Alpha 3, 3rd Strike or Capcom vs. SNK 2 nowadays. But for now I can only hope and dream.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 09:45:27 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 08:39:51 PM »

I really, really liked Street Fighter IV, but it's kind of gotten out of control with its additional versions and patches.  I still think it's the best fighting game of the past 10 years, but it's no Third Strike or Mark of the Wolves.  I'm not a fan of the mechanics for Marvel vs. Capcom 3 or Street Fighter X Tekken, but I ****ing loved Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and Street Fighter IV is my favorite online multiplayer this gen.  I'll always be interested in what fighting games Capcom brings to the table. 

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 09:46:34 PM »

Oh right, Capcom.

Every company ever?  I've never been to a single-company press event that wasn't embargoed.  It's different for announcement events - all that needs to get relayed to the public is the actual announcement.  But if they're actually showing off the games, it puts media outlets on a level playing field.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 10:46:24 AM »

Oh right, Capcom.

Every company ever?  I've never been to a single-company press event that wasn't embargoed.  It's different for announcement events - all that needs to get relayed to the public is the actual announcement.  But if they're actually showing off the games, it puts media outlets on a level playing field.

NISA's press event announcements were revealed the same hour.

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 10:52:42 AM »

One exception does not make a rule. TV media embargoes often last for months. One week for Capcom's annual event is puzzling since CAPtivate is sorta publicized by Capcom; they'd be better off shutting up about it to quell the bitching and whining from forums. No matter though - we'll get what we want on Tuesday.

cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 12:08:38 PM »

I guess I just don't understand why a company would want to sit on news that would get people excited. I think NISA have the right idea.

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 12:24:18 PM »

To provide a unified front and an embargo that will allow the largest number of viewers to see the content?  This is why most embargos are in the morning - they'll likely see space on the site for the largest amount of time.  Set a solid embargo for all of your outlets and your messaging comes across stronger because it's simultaneous.

NISA is a pretty significant statistical outlier in the way that they do things.  Because their audience is almost entirely niche, they can get away with having a lack of embargos - their fans are going to look wherever they can to find information.  When it comes to a larger company, though, they want all outlets firing at once so that the message doesn't get lost amongst their larger potential audience.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 12:53:49 PM »

http://www.capcom.co.jp/bio6/trailer.html

This second trailer sure makes me believe that the series is gonna finish with RE6. And you know what? I would be totally cool if that happens, but RE7 might happen anyway.

That said, I better not watch more videos of RE6 from now on because I don't wanna ruin the experience and get my hopes up.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 05:36:33 PM »

It certainly looks better than RE5.

But I don't think I'll be playing it until long after reviews are out.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 06:12:53 PM »

...is that it?  All we get is Lost Planet 3, plus a bunch of new trailers for 2012 games we already knew about.  DmC and Dragon's Dogma look fine and dandy, but I was hoping for Capcom to either announce something cool and new (Lost Planet 3 only qualifies as new) or throw a bone to Monster Hunter fans in the West.  I'm a little disappointed in what's historically one of my favorite game companies. 

...And seriously, did anyone ask for a Lost Planet 3?  Anyone?  Bueller? 

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 08:02:48 PM »

There was people saying that Lost Planet 2 was popular in Japan, but the only thing I know for certain is how little praise that game got at release.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: