Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 09:37:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340865 Posts in 13928 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Okami
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Okami  (Read 3658 times)
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 20, 2006, 09:35:47 PM »

Picked it up today and thought I'd better make a topic.

I've only played for about two and a half hours, but I can already say this is one of the best games I've ever played. I wouldn't say it is unlike any game before like it sometimes seems to have been made out to be, but definitely one of the best. Really my only complaint is the camera can be a little sporadic at times.

The story is by no means something terribly original, however the unique Oriental feel just makes it very fresh...kind of like bringing trees back to life with the brush.

The Divine Brush is really simple, and fun to use on enemies or the landscape. I can't really put it into words how fun it is to do something as simple and fun as painting a circle in the sky, or around trees, or drawing a line over enemies and watch them split in half.

To sum it up all I can say is wow...just wow!

EDIT: Obligatory avatar change.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 10:30:36 PM »

Holy shit this game snuck from out of nowhere on me!

I just watched the E3 2006 trailer for it and I am now going out to buy this game even though i cant afford it. HOLY SHIT it looks rad.

Back in 10.

Thanks, Jimmah!

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 10:33:38 PM »

My brother's getting it soon. I played the demo though, and that was pretty damn good.
Andrmgic

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 12:29:56 AM »

3 hours in, I wish I had time for more... ::cough:: I think I might be too sick to go to work tomorrow ::cough cough::
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 12:59:31 AM »

Quote from: "Jimmy"
Picked it up today and thought I'd better make a topic.

I've only played for about two and a half hours, but I can already say this is one of the best games I've ever played. I wouldn't say it is unlike any game before like it sometimes seems to have been made out to be, but definitely one of the best. Really my only complaint is the camera can be a little sporadic at times.

The story is by no means something terribly original, however the unique Oriental feel just makes it very fresh...kind of like bringing trees back to life with the brush.

Anyone interested in old Japanese/Asian setterns = WIN
Anyone interested in old Japanese type music = WIN

Anyways, I preordered it sunday night and it was shipped today.  Somehow it ended up on my doorstep tonight.  Cool.

Anyways, I dig it.  A lot.  The story is pretty cool and very Japanese folklore-ish.  Love it.

One thing I'm not digging so much, like Jimmy, are the camera controls.  Just a tad bit iffy.

I also don't like the "game speak" ala Animal Crossing.  I wish we could turn it off.

Anyways, this game is great.  Finally give me something to play besides WoW.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 01:01:52 AM »

Pretty much my sentiments....the voice thing is fucking annoying, but the cam I'm growing used to. I just zoom it out.

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 01:21:11 AM »

Yea, zooming it out is kind of the only way to explore new areas I've found. You can miss a lot while running around with the camera up close. Then again, having the camera right behind Amaterasu and going full speed is pretty fun too...

I just snagged my second Divine Weapon, a Gold Rosary, and wow it's cool. Also had my first real boss fight.

Plus, Sakuya "rejuvenated" = hilarious!

Another thing I find so funny about the game is how Amaterasu just falls asleep when someone is talking for a while. So god damned cute and...and funny!

EDIT: Anyone else get the preorder bonus? I was thinking, "WTF? I want a t-shirt, or an artbook, not some dumb water painting thing!" But I've actually found the Buddha Board to be pretty enjoyable; I'd even go so far as to say relaxing.

Still would've liked an artbook though.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 01:23:58 AM »

I've been keeping my eye on this game for a long time, and am waiting for my copy to arrive from Canada. I'm usually not a big fan of the adventure genre, but the graphics, music and setting sold this game to me.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 01:24:47 AM »

I actually thought that was a brilliant idea. It's something completely unlike anything we got before for a preorder bonus.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 02:48:57 AM »

Played about three hours tonight....and I fucking love it. Possibly my fave non-rpg for this year.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 09:57:43 AM »

I never heard of this game until a few days ago, but after all the comments here, and reading Gamespots review, have now decided that I must play it. Sounds great. I will seek it out asap.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 08:18:36 PM »

Just took a break from playing it and i'm in agreement with everyone else.  This is the coolest game since Shadow of the Colossus. THE most innovative and beautiful game i've played all year.  Yeah the camera can be spotty at times but everything else is pretty much perfect.  The crazy voices have kinda grown on me already.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
t0mm13

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 08:34:01 PM »

i HAVE to play this game

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2006, 12:34:14 AM »

Just made it to the Gale Shrine and I have to say this game just keeps on impressing me. The only thing I find somewhat disappointing, now that I'm used to the camera anyway, is the fact its relatively easy. It isn't a bad thing that detracts from the game by any means; it's just personally disappointing because I do like some difficulty in order to get that sense of accomplishment.

I won't complain any more than that though because I can't put the game down! I've had it since Wednesday afternoon and it has already consumed twelve hours of my life.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2006, 10:03:46 PM »

I'd generally rather have too easy than too difficult, especially in something like this.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: