Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 01:02:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327337 Posts in 13403 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Okami
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Okami  (Read 3454 times)
Extwin

imlzeronx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2006, 08:07:57 PM »

I've been having fun with this since Sunday. It is on the easy side; I would almost rather this than the fruistratingly hard side. Even being easy it is still VERY entertaining. Im having ALOT of fun and I seem to be in a good mood when I play. I need a mood boosting game right now.

Mostly lurks, with good reason
Obviously, I'm a genius...The Darkrider said so
Me: So, Mom, where are you going in the U.K.?
Mom: Ware
Me: Yeah, where?
Mom: No, Ware.... W-A-R-E
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2006, 12:27:05 PM »

For me, easy is a plus.  I picked this game up yesterday but I have yet to take the shrinkwrap off.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Sazabirules

xTheRedCometx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2006, 09:52:31 PM »

I recieved this for my birthday and I am going to start it tomorrow.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 10:28:53 PM »

Games like Okami, Wind Waker, and (possibly to a lesser degree, thanks to some tank battles) Rocket Slime show that games like these can work just fine being stupidly easy. You've got lots to do, and it's not all about the combat and - and said combat is generally very enjoyable just to pound the crap out of stuff. In an RPG, it just gets annoying when you're torn out of exploration for a pathetic, easy fight. Espicially a pathetic, easy fight that takes several minutes because of a slow battle system, or one that feels like it's that slow. I suppose the interruption thing can work for Okami too actually, except you can see those and dodge them, which I think would also help for RPGs.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2006, 04:11:35 PM »

I went in to pick up Trace Memory for the DS, but that didn't have it so I got Okami instead. I haven't played it yet, but the footage of it I saw a few months ago on G4TV looked very interesting.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2006, 09:11:54 PM »

I played a few hours of this tonight, and I'll just paste what I wrote on another board about it:

Wow,... just wow! I picked up this game tonight just because A. The DS game I wanted wasn't in stock, and B. I've seen nothing but praise for it and the footage I saw of it blew me away. Nothing compares to actually playing it though. The game is steeped in Japanese folklore, and you play the role of a wolf, no human crusader here, thank you! The closest in game design I can think of to this game is the Zelda series as Storm Shadow said above, as it is an adventure, but there's so much more to it than that. Your wolf has a standard head-butt to smash things open, and he also has a jump/double jump to get to high places. Pretty standard fare there, but where this game deviates from all others is in the magical paintbrush. You have this little bug-like sprite that befriends you early in the game. He teaches you your first basic move, which is to draw things that aren't there. Like say, you come across the bridge that is broken... just use the paintbrush and draw the bridge back in. Hell, even draw shapes up into the stars and in the water! I also got an upgrade for the paintbrush, which I use in battle. The wolf has a magical disc type thing on his back that you can attack enemeis with, but it won't kill them. Hit them enough times with your disc thing, and they'll turn black and white. When this happens, use your new paintbrush power to draw a line through their bodies, which literally tears them in half delivering the fatal blow. It sounds simple, and it is, but it's so fun. In all, by the end of the game apparently there are 13 different upgrades to your paintbrush. I can't wait to see how the gameplay differs with each new upgrade. And the graphics... wow. I have a 360 and these rival any game I have for that. VERY bright and vivid colors, it looks as though a box of crayola crayons melted on my TV screen. Though Okami plays nothing like ICO and Shadow Of The Colossus, those that loved those two games because they offered something different will love Okami for the same reason. There's really nothing like it.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: