Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 08:07:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331698 Posts in 13580 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Windows 8 Consumer Preview
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Windows 8 Consumer Preview  (Read 1521 times)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 05, 2012, 09:37:55 AM »

So, has anyone else screwed around with the beta for the newest version of Windows?  I have to say, I am thoroughly unimpressed by the two-UI model.  The most fantastic thing is that, at least in the Consumer Preview, you can't disable Metro.  What does this mean?  My netbook, which has a 1024x600 screen, can't run ANYTHING in Metro.

It seems like it might be a fantastic setup for a tablet or a phone.

Not my PC, though.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 11:30:46 AM »

I've messed with it some and done some minor amount of dev work with the Metro/Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) platform - I'm really surprised by it in a bad way. Typically if Microsoft does one thing right, it is developer tools and platforms, but it's... I dunno. It's a little bit hairy.

As Ballmer said: "DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8To-6VIJZRE
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 01:38:54 PM »

Yeah, from what I've seen Windows 8 is trying to ride the cellphone and tablet bandwagon and really didn't consider what people wanted on their desktop =/
My first impressions were so bad, I don't even want to waste time trying the beta.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 05:18:59 PM »

The Metro UI is not a good fit for a non-tablet computer. MS is really shooting themselves in the foot here - it might be even worse than the Vista debacle.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 11:07:31 PM »

The Metro UI is not a good fit for a non-tablet computer. MS is really shooting themselves in the foot here - it might be even worse than the Vista debacle.

A rapid release of Windows 9 as an apology?

Yeah, it's completely imbecilic to TRY to make everything uniform like this across multiple devices. What works for one doesn't work for another, I don't want to control my computer like it were a PS3 or something afterall.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 04:09:45 PM »

Both Steam and Blizzard have come out publicly and basically said 'Windows 8 sucks and is bad for the gaming environment'. So if you were wanting to get a new computer recently you better do it before they make W8 'standard' with all new systems. XP
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 05:43:30 PM »

Both Steam and Blizzard have come out publicly and basically said 'Windows 8 sucks and is bad for the gaming environment'. So if you were wanting to get a new computer recently you better do it before they make W8 'standard' with all new systems. XP

Ugh, and I probably am gonna need a new comp by this time next year. :( Might be too late, then...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 05:54:21 PM »

I think they mainly hate what Windows 8 represents for Microsoft moving forward, you remove that and far as I can tell it's pretty much an out and out improvement with a few quirks you'll just have to roll with.
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 06:22:31 PM »

Seems like Microsoft fucks up every other generation of operation systems. People liked XP....they dropped the ball with Vista. Most people like 7, and it seems like they are dropping the ball hard on 8.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 07:52:03 PM »

Then ME... good god ME.

I don't think this will actually be an AWFUL OS though, most people report that desktop works much nicer, and Metro stuff is easy enough to roll with once you wrap your head around it. But that doesn't keep it from being terrible in a way unique to it, in this case the implied intention of switching to a closed environment, and failing that the attempt at making the new UI the same regardless of platform.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 08:37:17 PM »

I still use XP for everything.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 08:47:14 PM »

I think the level of fail in Windows 8 is exaggerated.

But it is not very good either.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 08:49:28 PM »

http://youtu.be/1TtGQnyPZ6g
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 09:22:45 PM »

I still use XP for everything.

So do I, at least for now. =P

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 09:49:03 PM »

Ugh, and I probably am gonna need a new comp by this time next year. :( Might be too late, then...
Build one and use your existing Windows 7 code.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: