Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 10:07:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334535 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  R.I.P. Jim Marshall
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: R.I.P. Jim Marshall  (Read 1419 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: April 05, 2012, 09:16:08 PM »

Wow... heaven just got a little louder. I don't think anything has symbolized hard rock more thoroughly than the Marshall amp. As a keyboardist, I remember when Bob Moog passed away a few years back. So I can imagine what this means for guitarists. He will be missed.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 09:27:10 PM »

I'm sure he'll say hi to Les Paul in heaven and then they'll both rock the hell out of it! 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 11:20:09 PM »

I was a Marshall devotee for the vast majority of my musical life.  I received a Marshall half-stack as a present for graduating high school, and I used that thing for nearly every performance of my gigging life.  Ended up giving it to a cousin when I got out of the band business (he was starting his own band, and he needed the power more than I did :P), and that fucker is still going strong to this day.

I prefer the versatility of my Peavey Vypyr these days, but I've never played on an amp that comes anywhere near Marshall's level when it comes to ballsy strength and clarity.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 08:34:31 PM »

Peavey's are good stuff.  My guitarist uses a 5150-II head through a Marshall JCM-1960 4x12 cabinet.  When it comes to tube guitar amps, my tonal favorite is MESA/Boogie, but nothing quite roars like a Marshall. 

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 04:00:53 PM »

For some reason, I've always associated Peavey with "cheapo", I don't have any reason to back that up, it's just that all throughout my childhood, if anyone mentioned Peavey, someone else in the room would inevitably scoff. And so many sound engineers I know absolutely loath Peavey. However, in recent years, I've started noticing some genuine Peavey love, outside of pricepoints. One of my guitarist friends tells me that there's a huge love of Peaveys over in europe. And one of my engineer friends tells me that he applauds them for coming out with conceptual gear that hey know will never turn a profit, just for the heck of it. Like I hear they've just released something like a $200,000 line array. THAT'S GUTSY! When you've got a name that so many people scoff at, releasing a super high-end product like that takes some serious cajones.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 08:11:25 PM »

Peavey was always good quality gear at a workingman's price.  US built Peavey stuff was always reputed to be built like a tank.  And their Cirrus line of basses were pretty high-end with exotic woods and all.  Their bass amps were big, heavy, loud, and could withstand abuse like nothing else. 

Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 12:20:12 PM »

The Peavey tube amps are great. I used to own an XXX. The 5150 is pretty much considered the extreme metal amp of choice
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: