Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 11:12:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335260 Posts in 13727 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  6 Endings worse than ME3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: 6 Endings worse than ME3  (Read 2638 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 05:45:16 AM »

I think the point is that it's meant to be left to your imagination what happened afterwards. Something bigger would've been fun, but I don't think the game really needed it.

If you want REALLY awful in that vain though, how about all those older games the ended with Congratulations or whatever?
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 06:10:41 AM »

If you want REALLY awful in that vain though, how about all those older games the ended with Congladurations or whatever?

Fixed that for ya. XD (Anyone who doesn't watch AVGN or BrentalFloss; there is a game or two with that type of typo in the ending credits.)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 07:47:30 PM »

That Conduit 2 ending was amazing.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 07:55:37 PM »

That Conduit 2 ending was amazing.

And it seems that is the only good part of that game.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 08:48:27 AM »

I read about Soul Reaver's original ending and it sounded pretty deus ex machina-y too. Basically Raziel plays some pipe organ and all the bad vampires go away forever.

Also I think the main issue people have with ME3's ending is that it only varies based on one lategame choice and doesn't take many of the choices /throughout/ the games into account.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2012, 10:51:46 AM »

Or you know, doesn't make much sense.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2012, 10:53:44 AM »

Another way of putting it is that the ending of Mass Effect 3 feels more like the ending to Fable 2.  Here's three choices where you get to play god for a moment, now pick one fucker!
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 01:58:24 PM »

Additionally Dark Souls never really had but the barest trace of a 'story' to begin with. It was pretty much just all environment. In order for an ending to be on a 'worst' list the story needs to have had some merit all the way up until the conclusion. Otherwise a bad ending coupled to a bad story is just something you should expect. XP

I don't buy it. Demon's Souls hardly had a story and I thought the ending was fantastic.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2012, 10:45:59 PM »

Additionally Dark Souls never really had but the barest trace of a 'story' to begin with. It was pretty much just all environment. In order for an ending to be on a 'worst' list the story needs to have had some merit all the way up until the conclusion. Otherwise a bad ending coupled to a bad story is just something you should expect. XP

I don't buy it. Demon's Souls hardly had a story and I thought the ending was fantastic.

This is one of those cases where the reverse is not true; thus my point still stands. If you have low expectations you can still be pleasantly surprised; but conversely you can't be highly disappointed as you're already expecting it to be bad.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2012, 06:42:50 PM »

For those talking about the Soul Reaver ending: it's because the game was technically incomplete

cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »

If you think Dark Souls didn't have a story, you aren't looking into it enough. Look up EpicNameBro's vids on youtube. That game had more mythology and character driven plot than most RPGs with twice the budget.

And also, see the Dark Lord ending, not the Light The Fire end.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 11:37:23 PM »

For those talking about the Soul Reaver ending: it's because the game was technically incomplete

This is well known. As I mentioned earlier, I don't think the original ending sounds that interesting -- Raziel kills Kain, plays a magic pipe organ, and all the vampires die. It's a conclusion but a fairly ODD one.

Given how the series ended up I'm thinking there might've been more than time constraints that led to the ending being changed. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the authors got too attached to Kain to kill him off and just decided to figure it out later.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Fyle

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2012, 05:39:40 AM »

Can I make a thread - 100 endings better than ME3?

I'll start with Metroid on the NES. Samus is a girl! Cool.

(#^.^#)

I was once a pick up artist like you until I took an RPG to the knee.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2012, 07:26:09 AM »

Worst ending for me was easily Revenge of Shinobi on Genesis.  Such a stellar game, but all we got for our effort was a screen of the ninja looking out on the horizon and "The End" before the credits reel.  I must've been 11 at the time, and after my friend and I nerd-raged for 2 minutes, we decided to go outside and play ball.  

EDIT: And I said this in another thread, but it's relevant here:

Remember the backlash with how The Sopranos ended?  Personally, I thought it was a brilliant ending and super tasteful.  It really left things up to the viewer's imagination and retained the mysterious and unpredictable nature of suburban mafiosos.  What did people want?  A final scene with tons of blood splatter and gore?  Sure, perhaps viewers felt "blue-balled" at the time, but let it digest and think about it... yeah brilliant. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 01:08:36 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2012, 10:14:27 AM »

"Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty"

...no.

Agreed. MGS2's endings is one of my alltime favorite endings in a game, ever.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: