Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 01:38:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319060 Posts in 13031 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  HELP GUYS!!... I don't know what happenned to my computer....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: HELP GUYS!!... I don't know what happenned to my computer....  (Read 2965 times)
Klyde Chroma
Fruity Ninja

I believe in the Boss!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: April 06, 2012, 06:00:14 PM »

So I came home from work last night and sat down at the computer..... hit the start menu and what do I see....??? Absolutely nothing!!!

My start menu was empty, all my desktop icons gone, and going directly to them on the C drive and trying to open them yielded a dll error message that read something like this:

cannot open yadyadayada.... -5
Unable to read script something or other
dll error: 5

..... So i restored my com to two days ago and a ton of stuff popped back up but then additionally, everything appeared hidden..... like my docs, photos et cetera... had all become hidden folders at this point.... In addition to that, certain programs just still wouldn't work at all or malfunctioned, so uninstalled and reinstalled them manually.... which brings me up to now...

At this point, everything seems fine, but I dont know how this happened or if I actually amended the issue.... was this a virus? my trend micro titanium said it detected 10 web threats and stopped them which was the only abnormal thing I noticed in the protection report.... but I'm freaked out.... is this common or going to happen again?

I'm not savy about this type of thing so I just wanted to know from those far wiser then I, what they think the problem was/is and what measures they would take... thanks guys :)

Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 07:56:31 PM »

Don't know what's wrong, but now seems like a lovely time to back up your data.  Just throwin' that out there.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Klyde Chroma
Fruity Ninja

I believe in the Boss!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 05:17:06 PM »

Don't know what's wrong, but now seems like a lovely time to back up your data.  Just throwin' that out there.

Well I backed up a great deal of stuff.... unfortunately I have way too much to accomplish all of that in one sitting.... but I'm plugging away at it.... when all the sudden....a new problem emerges.... system crash/memory dump/blue screen of death!!!

The system crash keeps happenning now.... I keep restoring.... sometimes it works for hours.... sometimes minutes.... sometimes I can log into windows.... sometimes I cannot.... I don't know what is going on... I never really had any problems prior to this and my computer is only a year old.

Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 05:35:45 PM »

Well, if you can somehow manage it when your pc works, try installing a linux distro or even just booting off a live CD.  Unless something is critically wrong with your hardware (possible), you could at least use the linux os to backup the rest of your data.  Once that is done, you could reformat and see how that goes.

Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Klyde Chroma
Fruity Ninja

I believe in the Boss!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 06:17:24 PM »

Well, if you can somehow manage it when your pc works, try installing a linux distro or even just booting off a live CD.  Unless something is critically wrong with your hardware (possible), you could at least use the linux os to backup the rest of your data.  Once that is done, you could reformat and see how that goes.

I was afraid it might come to this... "reformatting"... the dirtiest, most dreaded term in my pc vocab..... it would take me ages to get things up and running as I have them now... in fact I don't even know how to.... last time I ended up having to re-purchase all sorts of non-sense I purchased digitally online and whatnot..... as you could tell I'm not very well versed in these matters/don't know all the appropriate and important stuff to back up....

any tips in regard to backing things up I may overlook? as for now I am just concerned with my anime, my art and that is all I know really.... but obviously there are more important things then that..... for instance I have adobe PS CS5, now how would I go about backing that up to restore it in event of a reformat?

Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 10:15:30 PM »

Well, your art and anime can be backed up on a DVD or thumbdrive without too much hassle as they are both cheap options.  Your programs will more than likely just need to be re-installed from scratch.  Do you still have the original discs/exe files?  You will need those.  Just make sure to think about it for awhile and make a checklist of things that you absolutely don't want to lose and things you'll have to look around your place for.  Make sure you have your windows cd key and driver cds (or restore discs) too.

Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 04:16:26 AM »

Klyde Chroma, How are you going with this? Is it a windows PC? I've had this happen and it's been spyware/malware each time, what happens is you lose ownership of the hdd and it's contents. I would definately backup and format, Not a drive image backup but just what you want to keep.
Klyde Chroma
Fruity Ninja

I believe in the Boss!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 01:47:30 PM »

Klyde Chroma, How are you going with this? Is it a windows PC? I've had this happen and it's been spyware/malware each time, what happens is you lose ownership of the hdd and it's contents. I would definately backup and format, Not a drive image backup but just what you want to keep.

..... well to give you an idea of how this is going.... I was backing up 500 gb's worth of stuff last night.... walked away, as the ETA for the copying to my external drive was 4 hours or so.... came back to discover another system crash.... this time the blue screen was not complete, and read something brief to the effect of "STOP x00000005 something....... system could not create memory dump......"..... so I hard restart the com..... windows won't start..... windows then tries to resolve the issue... windows cannot resolve the issue.... try to find a restore point.... windows says none exist.... then magically without any prompting by me what-so-ever, windows starts up and I am on my log on screen....everything is working just fine right now except this time all my files on my external drive decided to hide themselves.....

this is strangest thing I have ever experienced and the only trend I seem to notice is malfunctions only happen at night..... more accurately between 3am and 4am each night actually for the last 3 in a row.... then the rest of the day you'd swear I was a liar and nothing was wrong at all....

I really hate to believe this is spyware/malware but that looks to be the case to me too.... and with what I have invested in trend micro, registry cure, defender this, and platinum that.... I'm relatively pissed.... in fact I've never even so much as looked at one dirty picture on this com!!! I don't go to "questionable" websites either..... this my friends is bullshit!!

And now to make matters worse.... MY PSP is malfunctioning!!! That issue (obviously) deserves a whole other thread entirely but seriously.... all this techno-problemo's are really getting to me..... there is no reason for this.... in a day and age where camera's can be sent to other planets to take pictures and safely send data back to us on earth, computers should exist that DO NOT CRASH WITHIN THE FIRST YEAR OF THEIR LIFE!!! sorry.... sorry.... needed to rant for a moment....

Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 05:20:44 PM »

this is strangest thing I have ever experienced and the only trend I seem to notice is malfunctions only happen at night..... more accurately between 3am and 4am each night actually for the last 3 in a row.... then the rest of the day you'd swear I was a liar and nothing was wrong at all....

Perhaps something is auto running or scanning during the night that is causing the issue.

computers should exist that DO NOT CRASH WITHIN THE FIRST YEAR OF THEIR LIFE!!

While this can happen to any electronic device, that is a pretty solid argument for why I went with a custom pc instead of a big name brand.  Either way, hope you are able to figure it out.

Twitter@AkanbeRPG
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 06:01:38 PM »

I really hate to believe this is spyware/malware but that looks to be the case to me too.... and with what I have invested in trend micro, registry cure, defender this, and platinum that.... I'm relatively pissed.... in fact I've never even so much as looked at one dirty picture on this com!!! I don't go to "questionable" websites either..... this my friends is bullshit!!

It can come from a wide variety of websites: some of which you would never suspect. If you haven't already, use a decent browser like Firefox or Chrome and make sure to have security add-ons such as AdBlock, NoScript, WOT, etc.

Klyde Chroma
Fruity Ninja

I believe in the Boss!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 07:16:53 PM »

It can come from a wide variety of websites: some of which you would never suspect. If you haven't already, use a decent browser like Firefox or Chrome and make sure to have security add-ons such as AdBlock, NoScript, WOT, etc.

I am currently using Firefox with noscript running.

Please keep suggestions coming guys.... particularly in regard to what I should do when I discover the catylyst to the crashes.... because I believe I narrowed it down to the problematic program, but I'm still not sure how to go about fixing it....

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 01:37:15 AM »

Your computer is crashing from ellipses overdose

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 01:38:29 AM »

It's true, it's real.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Klyde Chroma
Fruity Ninja

I believe in the Boss!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 12:47:07 PM »

well i looked it up on phototend.com/solar (solar questions and answers) and verbatim it says "an eclipse is when the moon goes between the sun and the floor, so all that change is the light. it confuses some animals but wont affect anything else.".... so I don't think that is the case....

with that said... THANKS FOR TAKING ADVANTAGE OF VULNERABLE AND GULLABLE COMPUTER ILLITERATE KLYDE WHO ACTUALLY THOUGHT THERE COULD BE SOME VALIDITY TO SOLAR CONDITIONS AFFECTING MY COM!!!!

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 01:19:08 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: