Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 08:47:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334682 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Arizona Lawmakers Have Discovered Schrodinger's Fetus
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Arizona Lawmakers Have Discovered Schrodinger's Fetus  (Read 1398 times)
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 07, 2012, 01:51:59 PM »

http://rt.com/usa/news/arizona-bill-conception-abortion-387/

Basically, Arizona lawmakers have introduced a bill that would consider women pregnant for two weeks prior to conception.

The entire concepts is pretty hard to wrap my head around and the worst part is, it actually has a chance of passing due to Arizona having completely insane politicians.

I can do without seeing the Grand Canyon if it means never setting foot in that awful state.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 02:02:18 PM by Vanguard » Logged

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 02:50:44 PM »

Gestational age is calculated, medically, based off the woman's last menstrual period. The only thing I see here is an attempt to try to make law and health care cross over. It's just another anti-abortion bill.

The title of the article is clearly meant to be sensational and you fell for it. Shame on the journalist and the news source. I'm not necessarily in agreement with the law but I really get irritated when journalists pull shit like this.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 03:00:31 PM »

I'm aware of this. I think this is one of many attempts to wage war on women's rights in this country.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 03:15:14 PM »

Your thread title and your reaction makes me think otherwise. I'm not in-line with a straight-up total ban on abortion after 20 weeks, but the pro-choice reaction in this article is full of straw man and slippery slope arguments.

This is no different from any other anti-abortion bill, except pro-choice supporters are using an extreme argument that is actually completely nonsensical. The only reason a fetus *might* (since the exact time of conception is pretty much impossible to know) be 2 weeks older than it actually is is purely for medical consideration, and not so people can do some kind of conspiratory preemptive measure to eliminate birth control everywhere, which is the precise reaction this article is trying to elicit.

This is a really crappy article with the way it is written and it gets on my nerves. I dunno, big pet peeve of mine.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 04:58:43 PM »

I agree with Hathen. I'm someone in the pro-choice camp (but believe it should be measured on a case-by-case basis), and articles written like this sensationally in order to piss people off with half-truths and misinformation do not help anyone's cause. Sensationalism is the worst when it's about politics.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: