Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 11:06:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327146 Posts in 13391 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Project X Zone - The Namco X Capcom sequel
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print
Author Topic: Project X Zone - The Namco X Capcom sequel  (Read 11161 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2013, 08:16:35 PM »

Has anyone picked this up yet? I'm really curious to hear impressions.

I want to grab a 3DS when I get home later this month and this is high on my list of "maybes".

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2013, 09:05:17 PM »

got through a third of it so far, what do you want to know?

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2013, 10:18:39 PM »

General impressions mostly.

How's the gameplay? How's the story? Does it drag? What don't you like about it? Etc.

kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2013, 10:41:14 PM »

General impressions mostly.

How's the gameplay? How's the story? Does it drag? What don't you like about it? Etc.

Well the story is the typical crossover dimensional rifts/mash everything together plot to get all the separate worlds together. There actually are some references to namco x capcom and stuff that happened in that game so having played that game is a plus. So yeah, if you play this game for deep and thought-provoking story, that's not gonna happen. I do tihnk it's kinda cool how people know each other though (it seems the cast of virtual fighter, tekken, street fighter, rival schools, fighting vipers know each other) and some interesting interactions play out.

Movements the standard grid based movement, but keep in mind that you can use healing skills and items on allies across the map so iono, never really that sense of danger but where I am enemies have started hitting like trucks.
A lot of your enjoyment is how far the character fanservice and combat will keep you involved. The comboing is fun but I can definitely see it getting tedious for people as each stage has so many enemies, also I feel really bad every time I drop or mistime a combo or assist call as that REALLY hurts you. Imagine fire emblem if you couldn't skip combat animations since you have to play the minigame. So play the demo to see if the combat draws you in or not because you're going to be doing A LOT of it. Each stage seems to be taking almost an hour for me but I am doing it while watching a stream so that's just an estimate.

Definitely not for everyone, being a big fans of the characters and series goes a long way as all their moves and supers and stuff are shoutouts and I have a lot of fun identifying all the moves and characters.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2013, 11:14:52 PM »

I'm not expecting a deep thought provoking story, just hoping for something fun.

I can't tell from your comments whether the battle system is turn based or action based. (Confused about comboing)

Are you enjoying it?

kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2013, 11:19:37 PM »

movement is grid and turn based but once you attack, it goes into the little fighting game minigame. I'm enjoying it but I do play fighting games and enjoy trying to squeeze all the damage from every combo and timing my assists to get all the hits in. plus it's the first time megaman x has appeared in a crossover game.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2013, 11:22:02 PM »

Thanks for the impressions, appreciate it.

I'm still really bummed Nintendo has refused to budge on region locking, but I'm still really tempted to pick up a 3ds and some games this summer.

Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2013, 12:38:29 AM »

If you've played Endless Frontier for the DS this plays a little like a simplified version of that in the battles.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2013, 01:30:05 AM »

Also think Valkyrie Profile. Characters attack in real time, but you need to time the button presses correctly or some attacks might whiff and you won't get max damage output. In addition there are supporting characters you can "equip" to each squad, as well as support attacks that can be enabled when another squad is in any of the 8 spaces around your currently attacking team.

Your enjoyment of the game hinges completely on whether or not you find this time of battle system fun, and whether or not you'll end up hating it because of the repetition. On the other hand, there is a HUGE cast of characters with varying abilities so people who like "press button to AWESOME" will like it a lot, since there are tons of combinations that work well. There's also brand recognition: there are characters from all of Namco, Capcom, and Sega's most well-known (and some not - this game has God Eater Burst and Resonance of Fate characters) franchises, as well as characters from Super Robot Wars like Sanger, and watching these characters interact is really fun and amusing.

The game also treats itself very lightheartedly, almost every scene is very tongue in cheek and hammy, it's like the writers are nudging us with their elbows from beyond our 3DSs. The developers knows who their audience is and they play to their strengths in that regard. It's a real fun time, and even if you stop halfway through that's still at least 10 to 20 hours of pretty quality fun for $40.

Honestly, I recommend it for anyone who just wants to turn off their brain and watch awesome stuff happen. Which should be everyone, at least some of the time.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2013, 01:42:30 AM »

Has anyone picked this up yet? I'm really curious to hear impressions.

I want to grab a 3DS when I get home later this month and this is high on my list of "maybes".

Been chatting it up on in the New Games Journal thread in General Discussio.

Basically it's like kofvscapcom said, the bulk of the game has been, start stage, get new group, fight baddies, rinse, and repeat. At least for now, when I attack a grunt I'm able to one round it although people who are falling behind in levels are losing that capacity and its only a matter of time before enemy HP totals start inflating into the rafters. Moreover, this isn't an SRW game and thus there are no Battle Masteries/Skill Points to earn through secondary objectives. The only real folds introduced thus far is the destructible kibble scattered throughout the stages, a Cross Gauge running things almost like the chain gauge did in Xenoblade (skill costs/reviving downed allies/unleashing finishing attacks/etc.; although there are usable consumables in addition to this so its not the primary win or lose mechanic of the game), equippable support units, and either a skill or passive trait, critical attacks, and finishers being the source of extra Exp during fights aside from a level deficit (kinda like those Exp crystals in the Valkyrie Profile games).

Beyond that, if the news of the fact that Vashyron shows up in chapter 5 or that chapter 6 nets you Erica Fontaine from Sakura Taisen 3 (who is a nun that fights with maracas and dons a catsuit during her unit's finisher) does not interest you, this is probably not the game for you (although I can understand being a little disappointed in Vashyron's since he's just not the same without being able to break out in a strange anime jig over grapes/boobs or gunfu (John Woo style) presents at all the good little boys and girls while prancing around in a reindeer costume). However, if you find it amusing that things like Dead Rising's Frank West being in his glory taking Perfect Erotica shots of various female antagonists (and probably protagonists by the game's end) occur in this game or you just simply want to play a game that has the Valkyrie Chronicles 3 characters in it (because fuck Sega for not bring VC3 over; and for mostly dicking the VC series over in general), then this game is for you.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2013, 08:28:22 AM »

Note that when your guys first get MAP/AOE attacks they are disproportionately strong, doing massive damage. I'm assuming they drop off later, but it sure if useful.

It's also hilarious how some of the characters are pretty knowledgable about tropes, here's a quote

"This man needed a guide across dimensions so I'm currently accompanying him"
"Sure, why not, he's not RIDICULOUSLY OBVIOUSLY EVIL or anything"

edit: awww yea, jill sandwich reference spotted
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 07:24:10 PM by kofvscapcom » Logged

Zalrus9

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2013, 09:43:52 AM »

Yeah, I've been playing it too. It's overall fun! I don't like certain things about it, like how most of the characters are almost the same, with some exceptions (i.e. I think Ryu and Ken aren't too good at hitting targets above them, and Dimitri and Dante are much better at that sort of thing?), or how much cheesecake is in this game, or the story, but that's okay, because Frank West and Hiesen-Ko are somehow together.  Next to Fire Emblem and Persona 4 Golden, It's the best game to play on the metro!

"An artist's responsibility is to be irresponsible. As soon as you start to think about social or political responsibility, you've amputated the best limbs you've got as an artist."

David Cronenberg
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: July 06, 2013, 12:02:12 AM »

Another game that I just picked up and waiting to play. I did manage to get Namco x Capcom in English, via translation patch. I really enjoyed it!

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2013, 11:54:25 PM »

so many references to bad voice acting in old games, we got the jill sandwich and then zero says "what am I fighting for?" in one of the battles
for people who never played the megaman x series, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OVv-J-LXQU

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: July 13, 2013, 12:29:17 AM »

so many references to bad voice acting in old games, we got the jill sandwich and then zero says "what am I fighting for?" in one of the battles
for people who never played the megaman x series, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OVv-J-LXQU

I've got to get back to this. I've been so busy elsewhere that I haven't had time to pick up from where I left off in chapter 15.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: