Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 05:25:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334830 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Getting psyched for Gungnir
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Getting psyched for Gungnir  (Read 6571 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: April 11, 2012, 05:32:38 PM »

I felt like this game deserves a topic now that there's an actual release date (June 12!).  Sure there's the Atlus announcement topic, but most of that was talking about Growlanser anyway.

Even those Sting seems to have a reputation for doing weird stuff, I gotta say I'm looking forward to a pure SRPG from them.  Yggdra Union remains my favorite Sting game to this day.  They do strategy well.  Gungnir looks great from the screenshots that have been posted.  But I'll probably get it digitally since I plan on getting a Vita soon.

Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 06:23:24 PM »

While having only dipped my toe in the lake of Yggdra and Knights, I am still super stoked about Gungnir.... I have had it pre-orderred since it was officially given its date.... I hope I can find the time to get through Yggdra and Knights before this comes out though, because my current "to play" list is massive and  I fear these maybe gems that slip by me despite being on my shelf..... Because If I am correct and Gungnir is not related to those titles in any way, than I feel it may take precedence to me before those. I absolutely adore the art style and aesthetics... major selling point for me.....

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 06:33:17 PM »

I'm looking forward to this too. It's Episode IX in the Department Heaven series, right?
I was a little iffy for a while because I couldn't figure out Yggdra Union, but I played it again recently, and it just clicked. Eh, the stories are always really interesting in Sting games.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 12:53:38 AM »

I'm looking forward to this too. It's Episode IX in the Department Heaven series, right?

Technically yes. However, it's actually only the 5th game. Sting are weird.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 01:01:56 AM »

Sting is indeed weird. But I'm a huge fan of their games, so this'll be a day 1 buy for me.

Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »

Eh, it's better than the wonky numbering of the Ogre Battle games. There's four of them, and only two of them are numbered, as VII and VI. Sting seems to be at least planning to fill the numbers out.
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 10:00:04 PM »

It's gonna be great =D
Two Sheds Jackson
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 09:35:39 PM »

sting upped there game this gen
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 11:07:30 PM »

So I found a copy of Knights in the Nightmare today, and I'll be picking up Gungnir when it comes out - but I'm missing Riviera.

Is it really crucial to play these games in order?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 11:12:56 PM »

No, they're not really all that related.  There are some links with story (Yggdra in the PSP version of Knights in the Nightmare), but don't think you need to play all the Dept. Heaven games.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 11:13:14 PM »

As far as I know, Riviera is the one at the end of the timeline. Riviera's final villain is the total villain of the series as a whole.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 11:39:44 PM »

I've never been able to find Riviera, which is a drag as I'd actually like to play it regardless.

Strange that they're out of order though.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 11:42:34 PM »

Least it's better than Tactics Ogre where episodes VI and VII exist and then no other numbered entries were made. Although, the Dept. Heaven series works much better with the messed up timeline than most because each game details a different part of a vast universe at a different time.

Riviera is on the PSN if that helps.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 01:22:53 AM »

As far as I know, Riviera is the one at the end of the timeline. Riviera's final villain is the total villain of the series as a whole.
I believe it's the first actually, otherwise the only way their numbering schemes make any sense is if they are something like "we've had X numbers of ideas, and each installment is numbered for which idea it is". But, yeah, they're related but it matters about as much as which order you see Star Trek series or whatever, at best.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 02:12:25 AM by Eusis » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 02:05:57 AM »

I've never been able to find Riviera, which is a drag as I'd actually like to play it regardless.

It's on the PSN, you know.  Pretty cheap too, if I recall.

Oops, that was already pointed out.  Never mind.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: