Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 02:54:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334646 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Agent D's House of Rant.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Agent D's House of Rant.  (Read 8497 times)
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2012, 11:24:29 PM »

Which kind of puts artistic integrity at risk.

This is a sentiment I kinda call hogwash due to experience with the novel publication process. Stories go through beta reads, editor reads, and live field tests via e-books. Fan feedback is used to see if things need altered or clarified; not always but sometimes including tweaks to the plot. Movies also have things like this with early test screenings where scenes, story elements, and even endings can be changed based on what the 'fans' want. All before the general public even sees the final result. I'd bet good money games go through a similar process (albeit not as thorough as the others; if ME is any indication).

So the thought line that changing something because the fans say so hampers artistic integrity is a misnomer; it already happens and no one's cried foul yet.

The issues more that they can endlessly go back and fuck with shit. You don't have to actually be committal with what you're doing. Something's not complete when it's /complete/ but when it becomes financially pointless to continue working on it.

Also fan feedback is usually pretty poor because fans generally have no idea what they actually want.

Point; but don't they do that sorta thing with comic books already? If I recall correctly the whole Paralax storyline of the Green Lantern comics was ended due to fan bashlash. But admittedly it's been too long since I came across that information to speak to the accuracy.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2012, 11:28:56 PM »

See, I don't think fans "don't" know what they want, but more specifically, they don't speak up when they approve of a game. People who hate something are quite vocal, but if you like it, you just roll with it. I for example, like mass effect 3. I have yet to send some feedback pertaining to my enjoyment of the game, , but the millions of fans who raged about sure spoke their minds. It's like those silly surveys you are asked to take when you go to a store or call a customer service center and decide not to do them. If I were not pleased with the service, you bet your ass I would fill it out and complain.

TASTY!
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2012, 08:51:20 PM »

New rant.

I fucking hate, I mean seriously fucking hate, rude people. You know when you do something courteous for a person, like hold a door open or pick up something they dropped or something similar, the general response to said action is AT THE VERY FUCKING LEAST  a thank you. But then you get that one fucking prissy ass, tight wad, stick so far up his ass he bends at a perfect 90 degree angle to tie his shoelaces piss ant who seems to think your existence was to do for him at that time whatever it was you did, and you should be thankful the opportunity to do such a task was presented to you, much less expect any sort of acknowledgement for performing it. I am exiting a store in the city 3 days ago, just some shitty deli where I nabbed a pepsi, and a lady and her male friend were leaving right behind me. I had my hands full carrying tools and my drink, but i still proceeded to hold the door open for the lady and her friend. The lady was about to say something, but her douchebag asshole grabbed her arm and jerked her along, and then when I smiled politely, he fucking sneered at me, and I swear he called me a twat under his breath. The fucking douchecake piece of shit, I had no interest in his fucking lady friend, who was easily 15 years older than me, nor did I give any sort of disgusted look or smirk or anything. i was just being nice, smiled while I held the fucking door open, and basically did the polite thing, and he calls me a twat.

So naturally, I call him a fucking pussy fart piece of shit, and quite loudly as well.

He turns around, grills me, and walks off, whilst I flip the bird. I tell you all, it doesn't fucking pay to be nice. Cute girls think I'm being a perv and looking to scope a view, guys think I should have been honored to hold the door, old people always stop and talk to me saying I have such nice red hair (mostly old ladies), and the one gay guy I could easily spot literally walked through the other door to AVOID ME.

Fuck people, you all suck. Hold your own goddamn doors open from now on.

TASTY!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2012, 08:55:27 PM »

No shush, back to DLC.

I wonder if companies are going to start offering the /base/ game for free, given how people complain about DLC, and just make all the money on DLC, under the assumption that people will be willing to pay for DLC If the base game is free.

At which point we're basically back to a shareware model again.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2012, 09:24:31 PM »

Er, you basically just described the free-to-play model, Mesh.  And it's huge.

Of course the trick with free-to-play stuff is to make the DLC essentially required if you want to do well in the game, even if it isn't technically necessary to play it.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2012, 09:59:30 PM »

Er, you basically just described the free-to-play model, Mesh.  And it's huge.

Of course the trick with free-to-play stuff is to make the DLC essentially required if you want to do well in the game, even if it isn't technically necessary to play it.

Kevadu no i mean like offering the first part of the game for free. Or offering a big, open-world game ala morrowind with a few included quests, but you have to buy other quest packs in an episodic manner.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2012, 11:04:07 PM »

Dude, the guy was right.  You just described a free-to-play model that's being implemented all over the place.

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2012, 11:29:39 PM »

Cute girls think I'm being a perv and looking to scope a view, guys think I should have been honored to hold the door, old people always stop and talk to me saying I have such nice red hair (mostly old ladies), and the one gay guy I could easily spot literally walked through the other door to AVOID ME.

How do you know what all those people think of you? Are you not just being self-conscious/paranoid?

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2012, 05:36:16 AM »

Cute girls think I'm being a perv and looking to scope a view, guys think I should have been honored to hold the door, old people always stop and talk to me saying I have such nice red hair (mostly old ladies), and the one gay guy I could easily spot literally walked through the other door to AVOID ME.

How do you know what all those people think of you? Are you not just being self-conscious/paranoid?
...if I knew what people were thinking exactly at the time, I'd probably be more pissed off, and violent about it. Honestly, people's faces pretty much lead you to what they're thinking, at least in general. Of course, you can't always be accurate in assumptions.

TASTY!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2012, 06:42:16 AM »

Door rant
I honestly think this depends on where you live, and what your countenance is. Northern California has some of the most laid back people I've ever met, who greet you for no reason, and are generally very pleasant. New Yorkers are assholes. I've never actually had an experience like yours, but my girlfriend says it's because I'm 'imposing,' and I have no clue what it means because I'm a 5'8" Asian and I'm far and away the last person I'd think of when I think 'imposing.' Maybe the air you give off is one of a doormat, so people will be tremendous fuckwads to you? Dunno. There could be lots of other reasons too.

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2012, 02:48:44 PM »

@Rant nr2

You sir, are suffering for the "one bad review" syndrome. One twit didn't appreciate the gesture and suddenly its just not worth it. Get over it man, no need to pop a vain over a single prick that crossed your path.

@Rant nr1
Truth be told, its not DLC that's the problem, but how its done. There's four main types: the Additional content, the cosmetic content the exclusive content and the stripped or locked out content. Obviously, the last two are the ones causing the stink. The problem is that hardly anyone has the will power to be a responsible consumer and boycott a game. Most people will opt for one of two options, either pirate the game or throw in the towel and shell out the cash. The problem is that both of these options hurt honest consumers. Pirates not only push companies to develop more DRM which at best is just a pain in the ass and at worst actually impends people from playing a legally purchased game. It also gives the perfect excuse for bloated prices and other money grabbing tactics because "they have no choice". On the flip side, we have people who just spread their legs, bend over and let companies like EA pound them in the backside like a money filled piniata. As odd as it may sound, buying the game on launch and agreeing to thins kind of consumer treatment is just as hurtful, because it greenlights these kinds of practices (and worse) for the future. The only responsible thing to do is a boycott (and being very vocal about it helps too). But, lets face it, hardly anyone will choose that path and opt for one of the other two instead. Even I wouldn't pass up on buying Mass Effect 3 if I thought my PC would do it justice. The problem is, that at the end of the day we're just as much to blame as the "evil DLC mongers".
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 02:53:09 PM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2012, 03:00:22 PM »

...if I knew what people were thinking exactly at the time, I'd probably be more pissed off, and violent about it. Honestly, people's faces pretty much lead you to what they're thinking, at least in general. Of course, you can't always be accurate in assumptions.

That type of suspicion sounds stressful. :-)
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2012, 04:25:56 PM »

@Door rant - I generally agree that it could be "one bad review" syndrome as Maxximum said or just the area you live.  I'll hold the door open for someone as I walk out (which would avoid your scoping a view issue) and 99% of the time someone says thanks, but honestly, if they look like a bitch or douchebag, i don't hold it open for them.  Maybe I'm just an asshole myself =P

@DLC - Anyone hear about the shit Ninja Gaiden 3 pulled with DLC?  Apparently they made a ton of the weapons DLC and will release them "as they go".  Katana (default weapon), Claws, and Scythe are the only free weapons apparently.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2012, 04:29:20 PM »

I do get that they want to make sure more new games sell as opposed to used games. I didn't have a problem with some bonus content for new game buyers or if its just some cosmetic crap that doesn't make a real difference in game (outfits? special steeds? a new weapon?).  

The problem starts to occur if:

1) its changing to preorder or special edition buyers - only those who can drop a lot of $$$ on a game they don't even know is good yet.  Yes, its nice to get a preorder or special edition bonus of some sort, but DLC content starts to feel tacky. The company doesn't get better sales if its preorder vs new.

2) It is something that would have contributed greatly to the game *cough* ending *cough*

3) Or if I am left with the feeling that after I shelled out $60 or so, I don't have the full game. Because that is what I am paying for right? DLC later on to add to an existing full game? No problem with that.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2012, 08:30:54 PM »

Regarding the "door" rant, you guys are sort of missing the important aspect, that was the reference that pushed me forward to a rant. I have been far beyond courteous over the years, beyond just holding doors open. Picking up dropped items, apologizing for BEING bumped when someone passes me (it actually knocked a poor little girl over once, she ran straight into me, her mother yelled at me for being a creepy perv when I helped her up). I'm not saying it's always like this, but the negative reactions generally linger far longer than a hasty thank you. Maybe it's the one review thing some of you mentioned, but yeah it's how I am seeing it now a bit. Hopefully I'm just bitter...but idk.

As for the dlc rant, I actually had an arguement with a friend who said he was against dlc, but refused to not buy it because his actions would effect nothing. When I said what if you me and all your friends stop buying it, and your friends get their friends and they get theirs etc etc, he said they wouldn't stop buying it either because it wouldn't have an effect. So his answer to how to deal with it was if someone writes up abpetition, he'd sign it but still buy dlc. Long story short, americans are so fucking stupid it hurts my brain.

TASTY!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: