Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 04:10:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334755 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Buh Bye Miyazaki
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Buh Bye Miyazaki  (Read 1768 times)
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: September 01, 2013, 02:03:14 PM »

http://www.uk-anime.net/newsitem/Hayao_Miyazaki_announces_retirement_from_feature_film_direction.html

^^^
I personally am not a Miyazaki die-hard by any means so I didn't find this to be all that jarring. Plus, I swear this isn't the first time I read he was retiring... maybe I'm losing it... In any event, I figured this was news worth posting.

EDIT: Please don't take my statement as ignorance or Miyazaki "hate". He is like Mario to me.... that is to say, gaming wouldn't be what it is if not for nintendo or mario and I recognize that. I may not love Mario, but I do love gaming and thus I must tip my hat to the plumber (and nintendo). The same applies to Miyazaki for me.

Although I will say this... Howls Moving Castle struck me as pretty freakin' extraordinary if for nothing other than the character of Howl himself. Additionally I've really appreciated a great deal of the older Lupin material I have seen.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 02:11:04 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 02:04:32 PM »

I coulda sworn he died.

No wait, that was Satoshi Kon.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 02:12:25 AM »

I coulda sworn he died.

He went way too soon. :(

And while I respect Miyazaki and all the work he's done, I kinda lamented how none of his projects had a comparable amount of depth, involvement, and world building that Nausica had (even if the movie was pretty mediocre).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 08:27:20 AM »

I could be remembering this wrong or confusing him with someone else.....but hasn't he "retired" before (honestly I want to say twice before in fact). Either way, a shame to see him retire as I have enjoyed his work that I have seen (some more than others) although I don't go out of my way to see his stuff. However everyone deserves a chance to relax so I wish him the best.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 03:39:22 PM »

I'd heard someone say he's been wanting to since Mononoke.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 04:17:06 PM »

I'm not the biggest fan of his movies, but I did respect much of what he did. Still, he's 72. The man deserves a long rest and to enjoy the rest of his life.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 08:38:41 PM »

I am a big fan, and he does deserve his rest!

Everything's Eventual
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 08:56:15 PM »

I could be remembering this wrong or confusing him with someone else.....but hasn't he "retired" before (honestly I want to say twice before in fact). Either way, a shame to see him retire as I have enjoyed his work that I have seen (some more than others) although I don't go out of my way to see his stuff. However everyone deserves a chance to relax so I wish him the best.

Yeah, IIRC he did, but I guess he floundered about with the company then came back on.  I wonder if he'll stick around as a supervisor or even adviser.

ADIOS, SAYONARA. I found him hit or miss, but still with a better track record than Disney.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 09:24:42 PM »

Damn, I thought he was dead from the title...
*phew*

But yeah, rest well deserved. I can't imagine myself working till 72.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 12:44:22 AM »

I coulda sworn he died.

Holy crap.  I had no idea he died.  I loved Millenium Actress.  He was so young too.

Whisper of the Heart is my favorite Ghibli movie and it turns out  the late Yoshifumi Kondo directed it.
Spirited Away is my second favorite.  Still have yet to see his recent works past Ponyo.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 04:16:16 PM »

I absolutely love some of the films with which Miyazaki has been involved. Especially Porco Rosso, Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and The Cat Returns. Shame he is stepping down, but at his age, who could hardly blame him?
Like others, I thought the thread title meant he had died!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 07:35:16 PM »

I absolutely love some of the films with which Miyazaki has been involved. Especially Porco Rosso, Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and The Cat Returns. Shame he is stepping down, but at his age, who could hardly blame him?
Like others, I thought the thread title meant he had died!

The thread title would be incredibly tasteless if he had.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 11:55:10 PM »

I coulda sworn he died.

Holy crap.  I had no idea he died.  I loved Millenium Actress.  He was so young too.

Whisper of the Heart is my favorite Ghibli movie and it turns out  the late Yoshifumi Kondo directed it.
Spirited Away is my second favorite.  Still have yet to see his recent works past Ponyo.

I was really sad about Satoshi Kon's passing.  I get sad thinking we'll never see anything more of what he can offer,and (IIRC) he was working on something before he was hospitalized too.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
OrsonFury

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 02:19:20 PM »

Discovered two interesting things lately. 1) Hayao Miyazaki spends "retirement" by working everyday at Studio Ghibli mentoring young animators. http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/07/09/hayao-miyazaki-spends-retirement-from-anime-by-spending-every-day-at-his-animation-studio/ and 2) ran across a really cool documentary on how Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli work titled, "The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness" some Twitter user Josh Scherr https://twitter.com/joshscherr/status/489842672278851584, uploaded it to YouTube yesterday, but it looks like it's already been taken down. Bummer. I caught the first 15 minutes of it but couldn't stick around for the full two hour length. If you're a die hard Ghibli fan you'll love it, but if you're a casual Ghibli fan, it will probably be pretty boring, quiet and slow.

*Update 1 Aug 2014:
Miyazaki speaking of Studio Ghibli's eventual demise and not worry about it. Told through a series of a few screens captured from the documentary above.
http://kotaku.com/are-you-worried-about-studio-ghibli-miyazaki-apparentl-1614451273
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 12:47:54 PM by OrsonFury » Logged

Playing: SMTIV (3DS).
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: