Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 11:53:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331472 Posts in 13573 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Playstation 3 no longer on track for a spring launch
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Playstation 3 no longer on track for a spring launch  (Read 3640 times)
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2006, 03:32:12 PM »

According to this Variety interview with Sony CEO Howard Stringer, the PlayStation 3 is now expected to launch in December of this year.

Sony's new PlayStation 3 was widely expected to be introduced this spring, but will be delayed as the company fine-tunes the chips that are crucial to the success of the console's Blu-ray function.

The PlayStation 3 --- which is being called "the poor man's Blue-ray" --- is vital to Sony's plans because it plays Blu-ray discs as well as videogames.

Sony will roll out the PS3 by year end, in time for the holidays. If PS3 "delivers what everyone thinks it will, the game is up," Stringer boasts.

I haven't been able to find confirmation of this anywhere else on the net, but it's not like there's anyone who still thinks that the PlayStation 3 will launch in "spring". Not the least because, you know, there really isn't all that much spring left this year.

Can't say that I'm saddened by the delay. There are still a crapload of upcoming PS2 games I want to play, and it's not like I'll be able to afford a PS3 at launch anyway.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 03:52:03 PM »

Leaving aside this unrealistic "spring release" nonsense, the problem here is simple: People always talk about the launch, but not which launch. Assuming Stringer was referring to the US launch (which seems plausible, given that Variety is a US magazine, no?), then he is just echoeing what many people have already expected for some time: A summer launch in Japan and a holiday season launch in the US.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 04:09:23 PM »

Even if it's been more or less certain for a long time that the spring deadline won't be met, I thought it was interesting that a Sony CEO actually said that the PS3 is going to launch in December. Up till now the official company line has been "We're aiming for a spring release, with the possibility of a delay."
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 04:29:55 PM »

I'm thinking fall in japan, and they'll probably try for a simultaneous US release as well as nintendo is trying to do.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 04:53:37 PM »

Launching simultaneously in two or more territories won't work. Just look at Microsoft's launch last year. They won't have enough units ready, if they launch simultaneously in the US and Japan. With a 3-4 month time window in between the two launches, there is at least a reasonable chance of having one million units ready for each of the two markets, even if those one million units will be sold out within a matter of days.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 05:08:16 PM »

Okay...I saw this on Digg earlier this morning and am now pissed as hell. Everyone is toting this as "CONFIRMATION THAT THE PS3 IS NOW GOING TO BE OUT THIS HOLIDAY SEASON!@$@$&*(^)$@1111111"

Fuck that.

Stringer (Sony CEO) IS NEVER quoted as saying the PS3 is officially delayed. Variety clearly states

Sony will roll out the PS3 by year end, in time for the holidays. If PS3 "delivers what everyone thinks it will, the game is up," Stringer boasts.

All he says is "...delivers what everyone thinks it will, the game is up."

Fuck Variety. They often misquote people for the sake of breaking some major news story. Until I see a press release, I'm expecting it this summer at the latest.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 06:26:13 PM »

I assumed that all the relevant information in the article was based on the actual interview, but not being familiar with the way Variety works I guess I was wrong. Sorry for spreading misinformation.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 06:37:43 PM »

Plus Year end isn't limited to just December; it could be anywhere from September and December, which is the last third of the year. Hell, as far as games go the holiday season starts in September anyway.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 07:44:49 PM »

I'll just repeat what I said in the Katrina thread:

Quick. Someone look surprised.

:P
Vilnius
Rainbow Club Member

hitaroodako
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 11:51:15 PM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
I'll just repeat what I said in the Katrina thread:

Quick. Someone look surprised.

:P

O_O

im gay
Dyne

CronoDyne CronoDyne
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2006, 02:08:10 AM »

O_*

I found it quite unrealistic that it would be released this soon anyway.  I hope it comes out soon, but, meh.  I don't have the money for it anyway.  Plus, the longer they take, the more they will do to it.  And when the release it out in America, just know they won't make the same mistake Microsoft did with the 360 launch...

Currently Playing:

PS2
- Tales of Legendia
- Grandia III

PSP
- Tales of Eternia

Waiting for...
- Kingdom Hearts II
- Suikoden V
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: