Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 07:19:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338764 Posts in 13865 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Key Developers Leaving Square Enix…
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Key Developers Leaving Square Enix…  (Read 2222 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 23, 2012, 11:55:12 AM »

…for Social Gaming

:/

http://kotaku.com/5904243/key-square-enix-developers-leaving

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 11:57:22 AM »

If they were responsible for this chode:

Then smell ya later!
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 01:28:37 PM »

No, he was a 2D graphics guy... a menu programmer.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 02:16:51 PM »

The bigger loss for Square recently was the departure of Toshiro Tsuchida who created Front Mission and Arc the Lad.

Apart from Nomura's team I don't trust anyone else in Square anymore.

Two Sheds Jackson
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 02:53:31 PM »

Its really not a big deal, minor cogs leave companies all the time
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 06:36:20 PM »

Social game developers are paying alot more these days.  Even though I didn't join one, if SE was anything like my last place, I'd see the appeal.  Choosing from being paid like shit, seeing your team's good ideas shit on by some brainless exec/marketer/mouthebreather, only to release an unprofitable game, and then being blamed for that by the person who took a shit on your ideas, or getting paid really good to make crap that makes a shitload of money for some reason, but you don't give a shit about it so you can distance yourself emotionally from the product.  What would you choose?

EDIT:
Shit I used a lot of fecal references in that.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Two Sheds Jackson
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 10:03:36 AM »

this is still a non deal
Fyle

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 12:20:49 AM »

This could be a good thing.

Final Fantasy may have had a few moments in recent years but, I used to really look forward to those titles. I used to get excited about a FF game coming out. These days I'm like "damn, I hope it doesn't get even more gay." The last FF I completed was FF10. After that, haven't played one the base games since.

I mean I hear FF13 is "worth" a playthrough but, the art style seems, just, kinda childish and almost pop music like, like the characters could sing and dance like the Backstreet Boys or something.

It was downhill after FF7 for me (not counting FFT which rocked - but wasn't actually part of the main series). Not sure where to count FF11 in this mix, its not quite comparable in the same way to an offline playthrough.

I was once a pick up artist like you until I took an RPG to the knee.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 12:39:01 AM »

No, he was a 2D graphics guy... a menu programmer.

I'd be sad if he was the dude responsible for the 1 second FMV in FF13's status menu.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 12:55:17 AM »

I know this isn't really big news, but some of the big companies, especially Capcom, have been loosing pretty much all of their big name talent. Square Enix has been experiencing it for a while, and I'm kind of curious as to why. The Platinum Games guys, I can understand, but then you get Kenji Inafune who associated himself with Hyperdimension Neptunia of all things.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 02:47:31 AM »

After all what Inafune said when he left Capcom, putting his name on Neptunia was weird as hell because he put his image on a game that has all the fucking things that he has complained for years with his "Japanese gaming industry is dying" speech.

Ugh. I somewhat respect the guy but after that I guess there's not much people that can taking him seriously as a game creator, or whatever.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 05:40:55 AM »

After all what Inafune said when he left Capcom, putting his name on Neptunia was weird as hell because he put his image on a game that has all the fucking things that he has complained for years with his "Japanese gaming industry is dying" speech.

Ugh. I somewhat respect the guy but after that I guess there's not much people that can taking him seriously as a game creator, or whatever.

To be fair though, that isn't the only thing he's been doing lately.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 11:27:38 PM »

"Concept is the most important part of a game," said Inafune. "If the concept is good, 80% of games are good. That's how important the concept is."

Concept is worthless. Execution is all.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 11:38:48 PM »

I think one of the best counterpoints to that is actually Ar Tonelico Qoga. The execution was awful, but when you actually look at the plot and setting, there is something there that could have become a bona-fide classic of gaming. In fact, a lot of jRPGs run into that problem. Final Fantasy XIII's setting was really interesting, but the game wasn't designed in a way to utilize it properly. The biggest western games don't even start from an interesting concept. The execution might be amazing, but I don't think anyone could hold Skyrim up as an example of an amazing and fresh concept.

I think another good example of the counterpoint to this is the anime series Vision of Escaflowne. Escaflowne is a mishmash of cliches and there are no individual elements that are even remotely unique. Even the mech in a fantasy world thing had been done by Magic Knight Rayearth earlier. However, they took all those cliches and utilized them so well, that the western anime fandom holds it up as a masterpiece. I don't know how popular it is in Japan.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 11:47:08 PM by Zendervai » Logged
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 12:12:38 AM »

I agree actually...
But to answer your last point:

I don't know how popular it is in Japan.

IIRC, it ain't.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: