Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 04:12:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319658 Posts in 13044 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Lone Survivor
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Lone Survivor  (Read 1184 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: April 23, 2012, 11:45:00 PM »

Apparently none of y'all are talking about this.

The game came out a few weeks ago. As of *right now* it's also available on Steam, discount price $8. It's the debut "pay for this" title from Jasper Byrne, aka Superflat Games. In the past he did a bunch of free Flash titles, including a fav platformer of mine, Soul Brother.

http://games.adultswim.com/soul-brother-adventure-online-game.html -- Soul Brother

Anyway, Lone Survivor. It's a really ridiculously good retro-ish psychological horror / survival sim. Here's a review I wrote on my blog about this fine fine game:

http://gameosaurus.com/roahr/2012/04/lone-survivor-review-analysis/ -- Review (2nd half is spoiler to the max. It's well-demarcated, just don't scroll too fast).

And, in the latest episode of the gsaur podcast "the Jurassic Hour," we interview the creator of this game, Jasper Byrne himself.

http://gameosaurus.com/roahr/2012/04/jurassic-hour-30-alone-in-the-darkishness/ -- podcasty times.

So I think I've sufficiently pimped out both myself and this game. I think it's worthy of discussion. So uh, discuss! I'll be back for the good times!

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 11:52:14 PM »

That looks really sweet. I wish more of these unique games would make it to PSN/Xbla

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 12:02:47 AM »

Game is terrific.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 01:46:34 PM »

Played the demo. Pretty good considering how last night I saw this game called "Cry of Fear" that only has jump scares.

Edit: Forgot to say that I really liked the music too. I mean, stuff like this is hard to come by in a horror game nowadays.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 02:18:04 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 11:30:52 AM »

oh snap, I didn't fully self-promote my coverage of this game. The soundtrack IS really good! Here's my review of the soundtrack! :)

http://www.originalsoundversion.com/all-up-in-my-head-lone-survivor-ost-review/

Buy-able at bandcamp: http://spacerecordings.bandcamp.com/album/lone-survivor-original-soundtrack

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 05:04:30 PM »

Lone Survivor is coming to PS3 and Vita -- Source: Eurogamer
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 07:34:14 AM »

This is pretty nice! I got the game on steam and found it to be very immersive. The music is awesome and the ability to be able to play it in small bursts (if you want to) makes it a plus for me as you can explore at your own pace depending on the day.

Survival Horros are among my favorites genres but something I hate about them (to some extend) is when you keep a long time without playing them and you can't remember where to go or anything. I do understand the exploration and all are big parts of the genre, but I also like when games like Fatal Frame give you the ability to explore but also are divided into chapters, so if you happen to forget something you can try to remember or just look online whaat you did with easy and even without resorting to a faq you can get a hint on where to go next.

Anyway, highly recommend this game. It's not long but it's a blast and super cheap.
There are some alternate endings but in all honesty, after I played I decided to watch the rest on youtube and I couldn't even tell the difference between them, so this is my only negative on the game, but I enjoyed the journey much more than the ending anyway.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 04:48:52 PM »

Lone Survivor's PS3 and Vita port due this summer -- Source: Eurogamer

"Previously only available on PC, Mac and Linux, this console port of Lone Survivor will add new locations, sidequests, items and an additional ending. It will also support Cross Save functionality meaning players can toggle their save data between both Sony platforms."
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: