Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 07:22:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334781 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Analogue: A Hate Story
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Analogue: A Hate Story  (Read 1899 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: April 29, 2012, 12:46:55 AM »

I think this is the first game built in Ren'Py that's being sold on Steam ($10). Created by Christine Love, same person who made "Digital: A Love Story."

I'm playing through Analogue right now and VERY MUCH enjoying it. I did a little preview writeup on my blog:

http://gameosaurus.com/roahr/2012/04/self-preparation-for-analogue-a-hate-story/

discuss / enjoy!

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 04:58:21 AM »

*cough* shameless blog promotion *cough* :)

Seriously though, I'm not really into graphic novels, what caught my attention was Ren'Py. I've messed about with the maker a bit and I'm very interested in how much it can actually do. I've been messing around with the idea of a Layton like adventure game and Ren'Py seems like the maker of choice as long as it can pull off more than just pictures and scrolling text. Otherwise, I'll probably go with AGS. A bit off topic I know, but Id be rather interested in how many "interactive" moments (like minigames etc..) you come across while playing.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 08:39:36 PM »

Yes, I have no shame. :)

The game itself is a series of clickable menus, as well as a built-in DOS-like dialog box.

I'm also toying around with the idea of building a game either in Ren'Py or AGS. More on that to come ... in like, a year.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 02:42:25 AM »

Heh; I've had many a fantasy about assembling a VN or two. Alas the cost of hiring musicians and illustrators is far too prohibitive. XP

The supposed 'shortness' of this game is putting me off a bit but I might give it a glance at a later date, budget allowing. The time period/setting combo is rather unique; that's enough to garner my interest.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 06:21:03 PM »

But is short a bad thing?  I mean, To The Moon and Trace Memory were both 6-7 hours long and were fantastic memorable experience with killer storytelling.  Analogue is similar, only it has replay value due to multiple endings.  (I played this game as well and enjoyed it a lot.)

On the other hand, you have a game like Grandia that, while good, drags a lot.  It's like trying to divvy up one spoon of peanut butter for an entire loaf of bread. 

Visual novels generally don't run super long.  I see 10 hours on average for one playthrough. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 08:35:55 PM »

But is short a bad thing?

For me; universally yes. I greatly dislike short stories because I can't get invested in the characters. By the time you attach yourself to them and sincerely desire to see more of their lives...*yank* game's/book's/movie's done. No more.

For me enjoying a story is a bit like eating. I only eat when I'm hungry enough for a full meal. So just eating a snack when I know it won't fill me up is just pointlessly tormenting myself for no reason.

For movies this means under 70 minutes is bad, VN's under 3-4 hours, written stories under 30K words, and non-VN games under 10 hours; that is what I would consider my average 'strike zone'.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 08:38:58 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 10:14:51 PM »

I disagree completely.  To The Moon for example.  That game was only 6 hours long and I felt more invested and more emotionally stirred by the plot and characters than I did in many 40+ RPG epics.  Sometimes a story that hits fast, hits hard, hits home, and is to the point is far more effective than one with verbose padding.  

Good example is Benjamin Button.  Beautiful short story.  The movie was overly long, boring, and too drawn out.  It ruined a perfectly good short story with all that padding, hoosefudge, and drag.  

...and it's healthiest to eat 5-6 small meals a day anyway because we're grazers, but that's another discussion for another time and place:P  Snacking rules!  SHort stories rule too!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 10:27:33 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 10:46:41 PM »

I don't particulary have a problem with short stories, though, is very disappointing when said story ends in the worst possible moment. Like when you can tell there's more story to tell and more characters to develop here but for whatever reason here's an ending that left you wanting a sequel or continuation that will never come.

That shit is cruel bro. :(
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 11:35:30 PM »

No no; I'm not saying shorter things are bad 'in general'. I'm saying they disagree with 'my personal tastes'. XD
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 08:54:12 AM »

I still think that's a flimsy reason to potentially avoid To The Moon or Analogue because you're missing something good because it isn't your "type," but whatever creams your Twinkie.  

It's like with dating.  You never know, maybe a date with a girl who isn't quite your type might be one of the best dates you'll have all year.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 09:09:31 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 08:15:59 PM »

Have you even GONE through many short stories? Maybe the characters aren't that important, or it's only focusing on a handful of characters (if not ONE), or there's followups so it's a moot point (like the case looks to be for To the Moon). I imagine quite a few short stories do more justice to one or two characters than a lot of novels do for an overlarge cast.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 09:55:20 PM »

Considering pretty much every required reading from High School to College as part of any literature class were all short stories, and I dipped into the Creative Writing sector every other semester where the required writing assignments were also short stories only...yeah. I've read a lot. If I were to even try to create an accurate ratio out of a guess I'd say 85% short stories to 10% novels and 5% anything else. Shorter tales just really aren't my thing.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 03:18:32 PM »

Considering pretty much every required reading from High School to College as part of any literature class were all short stories, and I dipped into the Creative Writing sector every other semester where the required writing assignments were also short stories only...yeah. I've read a lot. If I were to even try to create an accurate ratio out of a guess I'd say 85% short stories to 10% novels and 5% anything else. Shorter tales just really aren't my thing.

Yeah, but what if the whole framework of the narrative is ... different? Not your typical short story. I really think the way this game presents the information is ... weird, and wonderful.

Also, shameless self-promotion part deux. Here's my review of the game. http://gameosaurus.com/roahr/2012/05/my-shamelessly-glowing-review-of-analogue-a-hate-story/

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: