Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 03:31:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318971 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  Ereader - need help
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ereader - need help  (Read 3015 times)
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2012, 02:41:46 AM »

Hello ppl, I'm going to buy my partner an Ereader which I know nothing about, except it displays books. Can I ask, have any of you got such a device? Any recomendations or brands? I've looked at a Kobo and Kindle brand so far, he is a prolific reader and i'd really appreciate some guidance
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 12:14:57 PM »

I've got a Kindle and I really like it.  Mine is the ad-supported Kindle Touch.  The ads only display when you have it on standby, so I don't really care that they exist.  I have checked out library books on it, and I like that ability too.

The only thing I don't like is not specific to the Kindle - I still feel like there's no reason for an ebook to cost the same as a physical book.  Especially when the physical book is 20 years old, and I can get a copy for a buck, but the ebook still costs $8 because that's the book's cover price.

Dunno - if you have any specific concerns, let me know and I can tell you what I think.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 12:49:15 PM »

Darklight, I know that you're from outside the US - do they have Barnes & Noble Nooks where you are, or are the main things you're looking at the Kindle vs the Kobo?

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 01:19:21 PM »

The issue I have is a pricing one as well. The good news is that a lot of books that may be out of print and expensive are available relatively cheap. A lot of classics are available for free.

I have an iPad, but mostly us iBooks for PDFs and such.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 01:56:45 PM »

I've got a Kindle and I really like it.  Mine is the ad-supported Kindle Touch.  The ads only display when you have it on standby, so I don't really care that they exist.  I have checked out library books on it, and I like that ability too.

The only thing I don't like is not specific to the Kindle - I still feel like there's no reason for an ebook to cost the same as a physical book.  Especially when the physical book is 20 years old, and I can get a copy for a buck, but the ebook still costs $8 because that's the book's cover price.

Dunno - if you have any specific concerns, let me know and I can tell you what I think.

My wife and I between us have had 3 different models of the Kindle. I currently also use an ad-supported Kindle Touch. Great price point, full featured, comfortable on the eyes - highly recommend it.
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 04:40:37 AM »

1st off, thanks for the responses. John, I have heard of Barnes & Noble but that was while I was overseas, so they don't exist here. It looks like the Kindle is connected to Amazon here is Aus. Tooker and dyeager, the Kindle touch is the model i've been looking at the most as it's available at allot of outlets here, the comparisons look cheap. And Vanguard, I was looking at an iPad originally but he's only interested in the ebook's so may as well just get a dedicated for less.  I appreciate it as I can see a brand people are happy with, I'll check and see if there's an amazon gift card available
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 10:06:24 AM »

I think that's a good choice if he is only going to use it for reading. I like the iPad but not for extended book reading sessions - the eInk display on the Kindle is a lot easier on the eyes and feels more comfortable to me.

Plus, if you decide someday to get an iPad, all of your purchases on the Kindle are available on any device with the Kindle app.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 10:20:13 AM »

Yeah, if he's not looking for a tablet and just wants a an eReader, definitely go with a Kindle or a Nook. The display on the iPad is much closer to a computer whereas the dedicated eReaders are a lot easier on the eyes. They're also considerably cheaper, though the iPad2 just dropped to like $300 from $500.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 10:27:14 AM »

If the Barnes & Noble Nook is unavailable in your region, then the Kindle is the only game in town.  I totally dig the Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight, though

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook-simple-touch-with-glowlight-barnes-noble/1108046469?ean=9781400501717

Best of both worlds - eink screen and read in the dark.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 10:46:15 AM »

I dig the Nook also, really neat reader. Only reason I went with Amazon over B&N in the end was distribution platform, but you can't really go wrong with either.

If Kindle is the only one available it makes the decision pretty easy though. :-D
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 01:16:25 AM »

So I've made the purchases on Saturday and bought myself a Kindle Touch, it's excellent so thanks. Now as for my other half, I've ended up buying him the Kobo Vox ereader, this device got terrible reviews but he wanted a backlight and color. For an ereader it doe's the job really quite well, the screen is excellent and it runs off Android. It's basically a low end tablet marketted as an ereader. It's all good
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: