Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 04:19:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329966 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  The Elder Scrolls Online - planned for 2013 release
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online - planned for 2013 release  (Read 8408 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2012, 01:01:12 PM »

I guess there's one more player in the battle for MMORPG supremacy.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/03/june-cover-revealed-the-elder-scrolls-online.aspx

player-driven PvP conflict that pits the three player factions against each
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 03:44:55 PM »

"It'll be the buggiest MMO on the market and it'll still get game of the year."
didn't see it coming but should have, this was inevitable.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Solstafir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 05:02:41 PM »

Guy from Dark Age of Camelot is on board. That with the three faction PvP should be interesting. Worth keeping an eye on for sure.

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 06:08:24 PM »

Eh. I'm mostly disappointed by this. I thought I could rely on the Elder Scrolls to stick to its 1-player adventure roots. Ultimately, as long as they continue working on the main series, I guess I don't mind.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 06:12:53 PM »

I don't understand that mentality, in all honesty.  If anything, Bioware proved that you can provide the story-centric experience and accessibility of a single player game into an online game with Star Wars: The Old Republic.  The game has its flaws, but that was par for the course with Bioware products.  I don't see why this game would be any different.  If anything, The Elder Scrolls games have been far less story-focused and more open-world, so this should be something of a dream come true.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 08:01:43 PM »

I don't understand that mentality, in all honesty.  If anything, Bioware proved that you can provide the story-centric experience and accessibility of a single player game into an online game with Star Wars: The Old Republic.  The game has its flaws, but that was par for the course with Bioware products.  I don't see why this game would be any different.  If anything, The Elder Scrolls games have been far less story-focused and more open-world, so this should be something of a dream come true.

I'm tired of so many series feeling that they need to cater to either an MMO or co-op multiplayer audience. Sometimes I just want to enjoy a game solo, you know? It's not so much the story that bothers me, I just ike having my OWN world to explore. I'm not saying anything is wrong with them doing an MMO, it's just not for me personally.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 09:05:39 PM »

But that's just it, you can literally play Star Wars: The Old Republic solo.  At most you'll see other players running about, but they have no impact upon your game.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 09:55:04 PM »

But that's just it, you can literally play Star Wars: The Old Republic solo.  At most you'll see other players running about, but they have no impact upon your game.

It's not the same. MMOs and single player games are designed and play differently to each other: even if you do just stay by yourself.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 10:56:49 PM »

Tetris was designed and played differently than Elite, I fail to see your point.  Your position strikes me as bizarre considering that you loved Final Fantasy XII, which was for all intents and purposes, an offline derivative of Final Fantasy XI with its gameplay mechanics and was regarded by many as an "offline MMORPG".
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 11:03:52 PM »

I dunno what else to tell you. That's how I feel about it. I didn't realise I needed a reason you deem suitable enough for me to hold my personal position.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 11:14:36 PM »

Perfect 10 on the passive aggressive copout.  I'll be sure to avoid trying to have a logical discussion and to understand where you're coming from in the future.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 05:03:05 AM »

Yes, it is a copout. I'm not interested in arguing/discussing the point. I explained how I feel about it, no worries if you don't agree or think my reasoning is baseless.

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 06:51:13 PM »

http://kotaku.com/5907598/first-elder-scrolls-online--details-make-it-sound-like-just-another-fantasy-mmo?tag=theelderscrolls

Not trying to come to Rift's defense or anything, but I think the article above articulates the feeling many of us have over an Elder Scrolls MMO.  Adding multiplayer to the experience a'la Mass Effect 3 could have proven both rewarding and innovative.  But the point of The Elder Scrolls (or at least the point that I like to focus on while playing those games) is the world, exploration, and individual stories that you may find.  This MMO certainly sounds like it's going to lose a great deal of that interactivity that so many of us play these types of games for.  That doesn't meant he narrative or stories are going to suck, mind you, but this is game is not going to play like Skyrim.  Who knows how the final game will turn out, but I'm not exactly jumping for joy over here.  I think the collective internet agreement right now is one giant, "Meh."
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 08:14:55 PM »

And that's an opinion backed with reason, since we now have details.  Being disappointed just by the mere announcement of the game yesterday isn't the same thing at all.  We didn't know anything about it at the time.  For the record, the details of the game make it sound just as boring to me, and I'll be passing on it.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 08:23:55 PM »

LMFAO
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: