Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 04:07:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332765 Posts in 13635 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime Comedies?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Anime Comedies?  (Read 3160 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2012, 10:56:20 PM »

So I finally started watching The Slayers and I realized I've been sorely lacking in the comedy department, especially with anime. So I may as well ask here if anyone knows of any good comedy anime that aren't Romantic Comedies like Ah My Goddess (Which I like, but don't really want right now), or Super-Ultra-Weird comedies like Bobobo, Cromartie High School, and certain parts of Nichijou and Excel Saga (which I definitely do not like).

What shows I do like are:

Sgt. Frog
Idol Project
Tenchi Muyo
The Slayers
Irresponsible Captain Taylor

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 11:33:59 PM »

I'm a big fan of the humour in Azumanga Daioh.  But I'd keep with the manga on that.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 11:45:09 PM »

School Rumble?

I find very little anime are mainly comedies. Most have humor but few base themselves totally on it.
Also, what Dice said. Azumanga is one of the best comedy.

If you're looking for creepier humour though perhaps Kyou no Go no Ni or Mitsudomoe.
For complete nonsense, go with Excel Saga, Kujibiki Unbalance or Puni Puni Poemi.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:51:32 PM by Annubis » Logged
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 12:12:42 AM »

For complete nonsense, go with Excel Saga, Kujibiki Unbalance or Puni Puni Poemi.

Just so we're clear, I'm specifically asking people don't recommend shows like these.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 12:24:52 AM »

I second the recommendations of School Rumble and Azumanga Daioh.  Especially School Rumble, honestly.  That's actually one of my favorite shows and I feel it's pretty underrated.  (And it's not a romantic comedy.  Romance is more like a subject matter or setting, it's not a show that takes relationships seriously.)

If you can actually find it, Here is Greenwood is an oldie but goodie.  It's just a 6 episode OVA but it's hilarious.

Edit: Also, check out Sket Dance.  It's a currently airing show but Crunchyroll has it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 12:45:16 AM by Kevadu » Logged

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 01:07:21 AM »

B Gata H Kei
Especially if you like School Rumble, since they have similar brands of humor

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »

B Gata H Kei

"Plot Summary: Yamada is a high school student, and a virgin, who aspires to have 100 casual sex partners. Despite this, she soon finds herself targeting and pursuing only one boy."

I rather watch Excel Saga.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 01:19:15 PM »

Honestly, I very nearly recommended B Gata H Kei myself.  It's a funny show, but more than that it pretty much flies in the face of what you would expect from that description.  I know that these days if you think anime+anything sexual people automatically assume the worst, but B Gata H Kei is actually quite subdued.  It deals with sexual themes, yes, but not explicitly.  There's hardly any fanservice at all.

But perhaps most refreshing is the fact that Yamada, the main character, is actually a fleshed-out person with human motivations and insecurities. 
(It might help that the author of the manga is actually a woman)  Don't get me wrong, she's still a total weirdo--which is kind of what makes the show funny--but she definitely isn't some cardboard cutout character archetype.

Anyway, just don't judge it by a one-line description.  It's actually a pretty good show.

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 01:23:23 PM »

Full Metal Panic Fumoffu's rugby episode is probably the funniest episode of an anime I've ever seen, outside of Azumanga Daioh. All of Fumoffu is great, but OMG that rugby episode killed me.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 01:40:53 PM »

I second the recommendations of School Rumble and Azumanga Daioh.  Especially School Rumble, honestly.  That's actually one of my favorite shows and I feel it's pretty underrated.  (And it's not a romantic comedy.  Romance is more like a subject matter or setting, it's not a show that takes relationships seriously.)

If you can actually find it, Here is Greenwood is an oldie but goodie.  It's just a 6 episode OVA but it's hilarious.

Edit: Also, check out Sket Dance.  It's a currently airing show but Crunchyroll has it.

Thank you, Kevadu. I'll be sure to check those out. I was actually looking at SKET Dance the other day, wondering if I should try it out. Here is Greenwood was also recommended by a friend of mine, I just never got around to it. It sounds like something I'd enjoy. School Rumble...my gut's telling me I'd like it, but now I'm not so sure. And I may take Dice's advice and stick with the manga of Azumanga Daioh (assuming I ever get the urge to read manga again).

B Gata H Kei

"Plot Summary: Yamada is a high school student, and a virgin, who aspires to have 100 casual sex partners. Despite this, she soon finds herself targeting and pursuing only one boy."

I rather watch Excel Saga.

I actually did check out B Gata a few months back, and I have to agree, I'd rather watch Excel Saga. While I find its existance hilarious, the actual comedy in the show was...just not funny to me. I dunno how else to describe it. I certainly hope School Rumble doesn't end up like that.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 05:05:27 PM »

The World Only God Knows. 

Both seasons are on Crunchyroll.  Good show.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 05:30:36 PM »

Full Metal Panic Fumoffu's rugby episode is probably the funniest episode of an anime I've ever seen, outside of Azumanga Daioh. All of Fumoffu is great, but OMG that rugby episode killed me.
All of this. I'be watched the rugby episode and the plague episode of Fumoffu multiple times.

My other favorite comedy anime are sorta-generic shounen that feature comedy occasionally, like One Piece or Beelzebub (probably not what you're looking for).

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 05:56:31 PM »

The World Only God Knows. 

Both seasons are on Crunchyroll.  Good show.

I've heard good things about this one, and seen some fun clips. I'll be sure give it a look.

As for Fumoffu, we'll see. My friends made that show seem really stupid to me, and I was never a big fan of Full Metal Panic. But this wouldn't be the first time I've been misled about a show, nor would it be the first time I enjoyed a spin-off of something I didn't originally like, assuming that's what happens. I'll give it a try at least.

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 08:12:23 PM »

Fumoffu felt pretty generic half the time and really damn good the other half.

The haunted hospital one was my favorite.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 08:32:13 PM »

No one's mentioned Nichijou? For shame. Barbarians. XD

Although in all fairness Nichijou is really, really Japanese. So for every joke you do get there will be 2 or 3 that completely go under the radar by a long shot.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: