Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 02:22:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327435 Posts in 13407 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Phantasy Star PS2 Compilation.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Phantasy Star PS2 Compilation.  (Read 6236 times)
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: September 22, 2006, 08:52:15 PM »

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2006/1466.html

It's finally here.

*Gets crushed under a bus before actually being able to purchase said dream.*

This is fantastic news.

WHERE'S MY LAND ROVER.

Although...  Very good chance of not seeing an English version.  And how subjective can compilation mean?  I mean...  PS Collection for the GBA is also a "compilation."  I mean, it's coming this Winter.  Just a few months.  ...Surely they won't be able to whip out full remakes of PSIII and PSIV like they have previously with PSI and PSII.

I mean, two full remakes in, like, two months?

Anyway, hopeful fellow right here for something fantastically awesome.

*Lives so far in the past he is but dust incarnate personified.*

Anyway, any comments or conjecture, anyone?

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 08:55:26 PM »

Quote from: "Losfer"
Although...  Very good chance of not seeing an English version.

Ofcourse not. Why bother giving us a compilation of 4 games when you can get 3 of them in the PS2/PSP Sega Genesis Collection?

Edit: I'll also note that I'm assuming they're all the original games, not the updated versions, given how horribly 3D Ages was received and the fact it'd be inconsistant.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 09:07:42 PM »

The official website shows a screenshot of the title screen from Phantasy Star IV on the Genesis.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 09:08:52 PM »

Whoo, terrible ports ahoy!

Why do we need new ports of games 20 years old?  I mean, ahh, hearing the terrible midi squeal of the theme on the original Phantasy Star title screen coming from a disc in my PlayStation is so anticlimactic, I might as well shove glass into my own ears!

AHH HELP ME E-CHAN I DONT WANNA DIE A LONELY MAN.

*Nuzzles into his little sister's breasts.*

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 11:09:05 PM »

I thought the remakes looked rather crappy. Really bare-bones remakes. Alter Code F stuff here. I hope I'm wrong :(

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 11:18:55 PM »

Alter Code F is one of the best remakes of a game.

I think you're on crack.

Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 12:12:01 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"

Ofcourse not. Why bother giving us a compilation of 4 games when you can get 3 of them in the PS2/PSP Sega Genesis Collection?

Sadly, we probably won't be getting the Playstation 2 compilation and the Playstation 2/Playstation Portable Sega Genesis Collection. This is great news, regardless. This is the first positive move Sega has done with the Phantasy Star series, in that, they made a full compilation. :P
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 06:25:13 AM »

Quote from: Miho
Quote from: "Eusis"
This is the first positive move Sega has done with the Phantasy Star series, in that, they made a full compilation. :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasy_Star_Collection

The Saturn collection is perfect as it is.  Not only containing the games, but commercials, art, and lots of other goodies...  Porting all four original games to a powerful (in retrospect) system like the PS2, they are losing out on...  Loads of that power to work with.  I mean, the four games are a total of, like, 7 megabytes, while a single layer DVD holds four and a half GIGAbytes.

There is so much empty room!  They could fit on documented footage of Yuji Naka wanking on a Shadow puppet!

MM BABY SLOPPY CONTROLS JUST LIKE YOU LIKE IT NNG.

Now, if they popped on the Gamegear games and that text adventures and other bits and bobs like the comics and the commercials and a soundtrack disc and Chaz x Rune yaoi, we might have a fucking nice thing here!  I'd buy!  Hell, if it WAS released in English...  I'd buy two!

...But I am expecting simple ports.

*Cries while Naka enters his home and gets his dick out.*

zain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 01:31:11 PM »

The Saturn PS collection is perfect as it is... As long as you never play PS4. Ther load times on that are atrocious.
James8BitStar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 03:27:44 PM »

I'm not really seeing the point, except for those who really wanna play Phantasy Star IV and don't have a Genesis or a Saturn.

Being a PS2 game, it could always be CD-ROM based if it's bare-bones.  Personally I would like for it to include both the English and Japanese editions if its ever released stateside.

But I'm getting a little fed up with these quick-buck oldgame compilations.  Every one I've played has always had some damning flaw--particularly in that it's always like they program an emulator and make no attempt to optimize the games for the system they're now running on, or add annoying features that take you out of the flow of the game.  The Mega Man Anniversary Collection, for example:  the Gamecube for some reason couldn't process emulated 8-bit graphics correctly--when I played it I noticed a lot of objects (including the sky) kept changing color, not to mention how the music would go silent after a few minutes then restart, not run continuously like it did on the NES.  Or Midway Arcade Collection with it's not-quite-perfect reproductions of arcade games (wasn't there an issue with one of them running too fast to be playable?)  Or while we're at it, there's even the GBA Phantasy Star Collection, with a version of PS1 that is prone to random crashes whenever you save the game.

I hope Sega does a lot better this time around.
Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 11:18:53 PM »

Oh, don't know if anyone mentioned it, but the PS4 port on the PS2:

THE L99 BUG IS UNFIXED! ITS THERE! THEY JUST PORTED THE GAME WITHOUT FIXING THE BUGS!!!

Sega is going downhill.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 11:39:17 PM »

If by going downhill you mean already at the bottom of the hill and rotting for YEEEEARS.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 11:41:21 PM »

You dumbfuck, the point there is to have /perfect/ ports. ROFLCOPTERS THEY KEPT EVERYTHING INTACT EVEN THE BUGS. Everyone does that, and unless it was a genuine problem, most people are just appreciative of the accuracy taken.

Unless you're just being sarcastic, find something better to attack Sega with.
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 12:44:53 AM »

aaaaaaaaaaaa

Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 02:07:23 AM »

Somebody is very free in noticing that eh?

Hmm attack Sega? If I wanted to I'd do in it in a Sega discussion thread. Right now though, most of the major companies deserve a whack to the head actually, not just Sega.

The point I'm stating is, why bother doing a port if you do a hack job at it. You'd think its logical to fork out money for the exact same thing with the only thing changes is the controller buttons?

PS4 happens to my fave of the games in the PS series, but looking at how its being thrown around like a poor excuse to squeeze money out of the fans really irks me.

Being lazy and milking a franchise for the heck of it shows that some game publishers are just taking gamers for granted, or even worse, for fools.

Milking a franchise and actually adding improvements to it has alot more logic then just dumping an unedited product on people and making them pay for it.

Example:
Final Fantasy. Especially FF6 on the GBA actually has alot added to it.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: