Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 09:32:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340864 Posts in 13928 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Phantasy Star PS2 Compilation.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Phantasy Star PS2 Compilation.  (Read 6486 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 02:24:11 AM »

Realistically I doubt Sega even has the sourcecode for PSIV anymore, and they probably don't have the drive to fix the level 99 bug anyway. It's not like PSIV is hard or that you need to powerlevel or even be anywhere near level 99 to beat it.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 02:39:52 AM »

Yeah Fox, what you say indeed is true.

Back in the 16 Bit years though, some of us tend to get pretty hardcore with our games eh?

xD
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 03:38:07 AM »

Quote from: "Silverwolf X"
The point I'm stating is, why bother doing a port if you do a hack job at it. You'd think its logical to fork out money for the exact same thing with the only thing changes is the controller buttons?

You answered your own question in your own post, as seen here.

Quote from: "Silverwolf X"
its being thrown around like a poor excuse to squeeze money out of the fans

Being lazy and milking a franchise for the heck of it

Looks like their goal of making money is working.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 01:58:31 PM »

See, but Phantasy Star isn't really popular.  Sega's just jumping on the B A N D W A G O N with this nonsensical "retro" bollocks.  They won't make money with a PS remake collection, but take a bunch of "classic" games LIKE PS and slap em together with Sonic and Altered Beast and Golden Axe and presto, instant "retro" remake!

I would usually jump at Sega for a chance to shit on them, but in this case I just want to shit on everyone who uses this "retro" terminology.  I mean, fuck, even Kameo for the 360 is now being sold as an "XBox Classic."  And PS O N E games are all shoved into the "retro sections" at used game shops!

BALL BLASTING NONSENSE.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 07:50:16 PM »

Quote from: "Losfer"
I would usually jump at Sega for a chance to shit on them, but in this case I just want to shit on everyone who uses this "retro" terminology.  I mean, fuck, even Kameo for the 360 is now being sold as an "XBox Classic."  And PS O N E games are all shoved into the "retro sections" at used game shops!

BALL BLASTING NONSENSE.

Those are sold not so much as 'classics', but rather as 'biggest hits' and what not, nothing really saying it's old. And PS1 games are worse off than that anyway - GameStop considers them too old to carry!

As for the bugs thing: I'll not that FFII still lets you beat up each other and constantly select and cancel spells to level yourself up, and SM64 still lets me jump through the stairwell on the Wii.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2007, 03:38:25 AM »

It's really sad, cause there are a lot of PS2 RPGs that I won't be able to get my hands on, because now that the PS3 is out, all of the PS2 games are gonna be shuffled off into nothingness.  It's already started at all our local Gamestations here, Eus.  It's like they're trying to make as much room for all the PS3 games they can despite the fact the fucking PS3 isn't even OUT on this side of the water yet!

I want Atelier Iris.  :(

Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2007, 01:59:40 AM »

It really does look like Sony is pushing the PS3, despite the fact that it dies after running a few hours and it still being over $600.  You'd think they'd realize that he average gamer or Bluray watcher (are those even common yet?) wouldn't splurge that much money on a system like that.

At least, I sure as hell wouldn't.

As for the whole PS thing, I've yet to play PS2-4 on the Sega Collection.  Too many other games on the brain at the moment.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2007, 02:08:20 AM »

Quote from: "Spoony Mage"
You'd think they'd realize that he average gamer or Bluray watcher (are those even common yet?) wouldn't splurge that much money on a system like that.

Given the price of blu-ray players, I think the average blu-ray watcher is doing so on the PS3 rather than a normal player.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2007, 03:33:17 AM »

SO not interested in the next-gen. Final Fantasy XII isn't next gen, and it's still pretty as hell. And nobody is going to deny that it's absolutely ginormous and it's still on a single DVD (and games on two to four DVDs aren't unquestionable, even if they're uncommon). Oh, and Metroid Prime? Did those games have any slowdown? I mean I'm all for improvement and technological advancement but eventually it hits a point where it's just silly.

Besides. My TVs all suck because I'm cheap. It's not like I'd notice how pretty Blu-Ray looks.

ANYWAY back on topic. I'm more interested in the remakes than the ports, but... really, do the games really NEED remade? I guess you could beef up the writing in PS2 and 3 a bit, but I don't think that'd be necessary. My only complaint with the old games, honestly, was that PS1's setting seemed sort of out of alignment with the rest of the series, and I'm not quite sure why.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2007, 11:48:04 PM »

I've never had the chance to play PS1 in any form, but from what I know of it it's more a medieval setting than the rest of the series.  Isn't there, like, 1000 years between PS1 and 2?  Thinking of it that way, the sudden shift into a furturistic setting isn't so off-putting.  Besides, wasn't PS3 both medieval and futuristic?

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2007, 11:53:53 PM »

PS1 was weird in that it was blatantly scifi styled - there were soldiers blatantly using the design of the Stormtroopers from Star Wars, giant conveyor belts connected towns in the beginning area, and there were space ships going between planets akin to an airplane. However, you also had strong fantasy elements like Medusa turning a character to stone at the beginning, riding a magical transforming creature to a floating castle, and other stuff.

PSII was more strongly sci-fi in that regard, instead of mythical creatures there were biomonsters, and there weren't magical floating castles. PSIII's the odd one out, and the one I've played the least of, but PSIV was also primarily sci-fi, though it did bring back the floating castle. But, errr, that was a floating castle IN SPACE, so I guess that makes it instantly sci-fi.

Admittedly, there's still the whole Dark Force deal and the like, but that's really no different from, say, Xenosaga's Gnosis and U-DO and whatever.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2007, 12:59:05 AM »

PSIII is only less sci-fi ish for a rather brief portion. The world in the colony ship's had some obvious technological regression (possibly. Maybe Parma was just weird like that when they left), but after you get a bit farther in it... well, it's about as sci-fi as 2 and 4. It's *medieval* but not as blatantly fantasy as PSI, and it's very, very sci-fi.

Ermf, I can't really remember, but uh... Parma wasn't tampered with technologically at all by OUTSIDE FORCES, was it? I sort of got the impression that it was and if that was the case, it... would 'splain loads.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: