Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 08:54:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318980 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Game of Thrones
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 1170 times)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 15, 2012, 08:15:38 AM »

So we reviewed today's big release not called Diablo III.  Any big ASOIAF fans going to pick this one up?

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 08:43:16 AM »

RPGFan has the highest rating I've seen for this game so far. A lot of 4-6/10 scores. I hope it's at least playable. A buddy preordered it for me for my birthday.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 08:46:11 AM »

So we reviewed today's big release not called Diablo III.

That's not Max Payne 3!

I was hoping for a pleasant surprise, but that doesn't sound to be the case given your review comes off as one of the more positive. Ah well, I'd need to seriously read the books/watch the show beforehand anyway, I'll just have to hope this at least makes more for Atlus than Cursed Crusade probably did.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 08:52:12 AM »

RPGFan has the highest rating I've seen for this game so far. A lot of 4-6/10 scores. I hope it's at least playable. A buddy preordered it for me for my birthday.

Honestly, I saw a lot of the reviews and I was surprised the scores were that low.  It has its flaws, but I found the combat endearing.  Maybe it's because it reminded me of KoTOR, though.

cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 10:34:49 AM »

Someone's feedback at NeoGAF who knew people that worked on it was brutal. He said it was a fluke they got the rights to it, and didn't have the technical prowess to make it work like they wanted, just love for the series.

Sadly, that only goes so far, I guess. I love the series, but no way would I give this a go at $60. Still, it doesn't sound dire like Cursed Crusade, just flawed.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 04:21:42 PM »

Preordered it for the art book(ASOIAF fanboy), I'll get to it eventually.  I hear the story is good, which is good enough for me for this game.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 10:35:32 PM »

From what little I played tonight, it's not all that bad. I like in the beginning when you pick your perks they are given a point system. if you pick 9 points worth of character perks it makes you pick 9 detrimental anti-erks. Kinda cool. And the combat is pretty cool and unique. Lots of talking, which you'd expect in a GOT game. I have seen glitches pop up, but it's not as bad as some games out there. I also got the art book, it's a nice one too.
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 10:55:26 AM »

atlus coming off cursed crusade and cyanide having botched the last GoT game is sorta why i waited for the reviews i was really optimistic anyway though. i was hoping they'd knock it outta the park somehow. i'm glad i waited for the reviews. i'm reading the books right now and they are just compelling enough to keep me invested. i think i'll maybe get this when its super cheap.

john do you know who has more say in the quality, the publisher or developer?  with this case i assume the developer makes the call but i'm pretty ignorant of how that works. 
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 11:07:25 AM »

atlus coming off cursed crusade and cyanide having botched the last GoT game is sorta why i waited for the reviews i was really optimistic anyway though. i was hoping they'd knock it outta the park somehow. i'm glad i waited for the reviews. i'm reading the books right now and they are just compelling enough to keep me invested. i think i'll maybe get this when its super cheap.

john do you know who has more say in the quality, the publisher or developer?  with this case i assume the developer makes the call but i'm pretty ignorant of how that works. 

In this case, the developer.  Atlus came into the process pretty late, and Cyanide is a fairly independent developer.  It's different when a developer is contracted by a publisher who is bankrolling the process (like Activision hiring X, Y, or Z outside developer to work on one of their licenses).

deathsaber

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 11:19:20 AM »

All in all its actually a pretty decent game and almost must have to me if you are a fan of the books/tv series. 

The entire thing with it is that it is low budget.  As such you get some sketchy prodcution values (some graphical uglyness, clipping issues, attack animations that aren't pretty, voice acting adequate but unspectacular), but at the end the day it scrathes that RPG itch quite well, has some really good RPG character bulding elements, and the story is quite good- its certainly not a broken game, and fans won't be able to put it down.   

Think of games like Risen, Divinity 2, or Alpha Protocol on console- if you saw past some of the technical problems and minor glichyness these had, didn't mind they had lessor production values than Bioware/Bethesda, and enjoyed them regardless because they were finely crafted experiences, its kind of a similar situation here. 
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 03:45:06 AM »

http://grrm.livejournal.com/279996.html?thread=15978684#t15978684 (not a spoiler)
Dunno what to think of the storyline now :-/

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 12:21:27 PM »

^ I agree with that. There's now way you could tie that all together and have it make sense. Anyone who's read the books and watched the show can see the differences.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: