Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 01:47:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331370 Posts in 13571 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Games you've basically "Memorized"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Games you've basically "Memorized"  (Read 4093 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: May 16, 2012, 12:13:47 AM »

Some games are worth another go.  Some worth a few more than just two runs.  What games do you know the ins and outs, the dialogue or layout, the items and secrets... all that jazz.

Mine quickly (and off the top of my head kinda):
- Star Ocean 2. Even down to the nitty gritty of "what NPC to talk to to advance the story" and the items and all that.
- Valkyrie Profile is also another one. The items, puzzles, equipment, characters... I admit I do double check the requirements for the A Ending since they're pretty fucking ambiguous
- Zelda Twilight Princess for the most part. No puzzle really stumps me and I know where extras and all are located.
- Final Fantasy 6, fucking Squeenix, remake it you bitches, why do you ignore this one?!!?!?
- Hoping to add Final Fantasy 9 soon, I'm doing a pretty perfect run thus far.
- Res5 is there as well since I played multiplayer with it with a few peeps (not many good co-op games these days D: ).
- I'd say a Tales game -- but I don't think I've ever 100%-ed the Collection Book. But I do have them pretty damn well mapped out otherwise for what's important.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 12:19:29 AM »

Halo:CE
RE:5
Star Control 2

There are other games I played plenty but hardly to the level of those games.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 12:39:35 AM »

Fallout 3....the only game I ever did where I did everything possible to do....but I got real close on Borderlands and Assassin's Creed 2. Now, if we go seriously old school i had all of the patterns memorized on Pac-Man in the arcades and I could pretty much play Defender and Tempest until I got bored.

Everything's Eventual
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 12:51:33 AM »

Shining Force 1 and 2
Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1 version)

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 01:31:22 AM »

Final Fantasy VI was definitely the first game that reached this point for me (hence the avatar...).  I've lost track of how many times I've played it through start to finish.  I'm pretty sure I've managed to discover just about every secret in that game without ever using a guide...

Planescape: Torment might also qualify.

But I don't have the time to play games like that anymore.  These days I'm lucky if I even finish a game once. 

Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 03:24:28 AM »

Doom 1 and doom 2, all secrets items etc
Exhumed/Powerslave, ditto
Soul hackers, mainly due to me learning kanji at the time. %100 down to demon fusions and weapon fusions, who to talk to for a complete story, even where the holes/pitts are in the second last dungeon

So, doe's it surprise you guys to play an older game and the things you do remember?
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 08:01:28 AM »

Super Metroid.

My freshman year of college I beat the game 11 times in two weeks. Then I didn't touch it for a few months, and then I went back and got my best time for an 100% item run (1 hour, 41 minutes). Now, a full decade later, I don't think I could achieve that time again, but clearing the game in under 3 hours is still easy as pie, and I'd be shocked if I missed even one item. I also don't even bother stopping to save.

I think that's the only game I've committed to muscle memory. But if we were talking about *soundtracks* I've memorized... most of the FF series would be a good place to start. :)

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 08:25:45 AM »

A number of the early Zeldas, to the point where I can either run minimalist or other caveat loaded run (swordless in Original's second quest).
MMX2 to the point where I can make a no upgrade run (can't for X1 without cheat codes due to that boot capsule). And other MM games to the point where I need no consolation as to which bosses should be fought in which order.
FFVI to the point where I can even get General Leo in my party without resorting to external means (with the fun side effect of getting Terra to make lesbian love to her own mom and even redefine the meaning of the phrase 'the circle of life').
The early Metroids (I'll admit to getting lost a time or two in Prime 1).

And most modern games due to being shallower than SuperNES games. XD

Actually I've memorized a number of games far greater than I care to list due to having a rock solid memory (and because many games are pretty fucking shallow to begin with and not hard to memorize).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
eXaX

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 08:51:52 AM »

For me, there is really only one game that I've practically memorized. There are other games that have a huge impact on me when I'm playing them but I don't know the secrets nor the location of items or something like that. More sentimental impact I suppose.

Anyhow,
Deus Ex(PC). God I've played this game so many times I've started to despise Liberty Island. With the exception of Liberty Island I still love playing through it with made-up challenges (like, no-kill runs or only use a baton w/e).
FFVI to the point where I can even get General Leo in my party without resorting to external means (with the fun side effect of getting Terra to make lesbian love to her own mom and even redefine the meaning of the phrase 'the circle of life').
Epic!

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 09:23:10 AM »

Large chunks of several MMOs (I'd like to see someone memorize an entire MMO), mostly FFXI.

Diablo II
Phantasy Star Online
Lufia II
Pokemon Red, Silver, Ruby/Sapphire, especially the last one...really wish a pokemon game can enamor me the same way G2 and G3 did, but that's probably my childhood speaking. Starting from G4 the most irritating thing to me is that all the battles take much longer from animations and such.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 09:51:21 AM »

Hathen, if you liked GII and GIII, try HeartGold or SoulSilver. By far the best games in the series, imo.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 10:00:46 AM »

- Chrono Trigger
I remember pretty much anything and everything by heart. I must have played through this game at the very least 30 times from A to Z.

- Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner
I played this game so many times, finished all the extra missions, unlocked everything and then played again some more.
I also happen to like standing next to lava... no reason...

- Star Ocean 3
1 game normal, 1 game universe, 1 game normal for trophies, 1 game universe for trophies and finally a 4D game...
I actually made a binder with tons of information like crafting, PAs, puzzle solutions, sphere 211, etc.

- Star Ocean 2
One of my first JRPG love. Over the years I've played this one 4 times.

- Ragnarok Online
Knowing an MMORPG by heart? I'd say yes. I can navigate the worldmap my eyes closed. I know where every good piece of equipment is dropped and by what mob. I know every item, every card, every skill, every job, every good leveling zone for every class and level range. Although, that is up to the point where I stopped playing, so anything added after like 11.x I sadly wouldn't know.

- Diablo 2
This game took my soul.

- Diablo 1
This game took my youth.

- System Shock 2
One of my favorite games of all times and as such I've played countless times. This game did so many things right. Survival horror at its finest.

- Contra III: The Alien Wars
This is by far the SNES game I played the most. I didn't really know (J)RPGs back then.

- Final Fantasy 7
3 playthrough is way enough to memorize this game.

- Ogre Battle 64
I'm an avid fan of this game, same as a good friend of mine. We could talk endlessly about this game.

- Valkyrie Profile
If you want the A ending... you pretty much need to know everything about this game.

- Baldur's Gate 2
I seriously can't play this game anymore. I know everything. Instead of starting another game, I can just recall the game instead and save myself the 100 hours it would take to play through (I spent easily 500 hours on this game)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 11:23:21 AM »

Suikoden 2

Pool of Radiance

Battletech - Crescent Hawks Revenge

SMT Nocturne

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 11:56:44 AM »

Chrono Trigger, Mega Man X, Final Fantasy Tactics, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and Disgaea: Hour of Darkness.  It's a little sad when I think about how well I know these games....

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 12:37:10 PM »

Overblood
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: