Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 08:01:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340923 Posts in 13933 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Game-opinions no one else agrees with.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Game-opinions no one else agrees with.  (Read 7852 times)
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 05:17:50 PM »

Red Dead Redemption, GTAIV = RPGs

Star Ocean = Sci-Fi RPGs.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 05:28:06 PM »

What a great thread!! I've got boatloads of opinions that aren't exactly that of the majority.

I'll start by touching upon what has been mentioned.....

-I too think the Persona series (and all the SMT stuff for that matter...) is highly overrated.... and on that note....
-.... I think nocturne sucked more then most the rest of the SMT stuff.... and lastly on the SMT subject....
-.... I liked P3 way more then P4
- I agree that WRPG's are highly un-creative Tolkien rip-offs.... I will be brazen and say it.... I do think that for the most part they suck and are poor games for the very fact that they are extremely re-hashed fantasy that has yet to have me exclaim even once "wow, haven't seen anything quite like that before...." or even "wow, I've never quite experienced this done so well....." NOTE: I make that statement without any experience with the Mass Effect series
-I also agree Mario has lost touch with whatever magic made him appealing in the past...
-I COMPLETELY agree FF6 deserves a re-make LONG before FF7... in fact I don't even believe FF7 should get a remake.... I've had enough Cloud Strife and Sephiroth for a lifetime.....

Moving on to some of my own opinions....

-I think Devil May Cry may very well be the single most surprising franchise in gaming history to me... that is, it surprises the hell out of me that it has seen any success whatsoever..... I think Dante is a tool, I hated him from the first game on.... I can't honestly believe there was ever, and still continues to be an audience for this stuff.... (maybe Dante contributed to me disdain for Nocturne a bit....)
-Almost equally astonishing to me is the success of most all the FPS titles I've given the time of day.... I say "almost" because, while I just flat out thought Devil May Cry was unoriginal and silly, I take into account how many disgustingly testosterone driven-sweaty mean are also gamers in the west and as such I understand the fan-base exists.... I just don't appreciate it is all...
-I've always felt Lunar deserved 2 less remakes, 2 more sequels, and a hell of alot more acclaim than anything else that was going on at the time of its birth on the Sega CD... and on that note...
-...Working Designs is by far my favorite company  in VG history as far as RPG's go... I always felt they deserved more acclaim than Square as well.....and lastly...
-... the opening theme for Lunar 1 on the Sega CD is still my favorite VG track/theme of all time!
-.... I think Breath of Fire 1 - 4 were phenominal games that deserved just as much praise as the final fnatasy franchise... and here is the kicker... in PARTICULAR Breath of Fire 2 was my favorite!!
-....I think Gust and Compile Hearts makes great games... in fact I think as a whole I've appreciated more of what they have brought to the table than level 5 (since level 5 has been brought up here a few times...)
-.... I really thought Star Ocean til the end of time rocked!
-.... Disgaea set the standard for top quality SRPG for me.... not Final Fantasy Tactics....
-.... I don't feel  AT ALL that the JRPG genre has sucked/been dead in recent years.... I just feel it has been under-appreciated...

I can go on for a long time on this topic.... maybe I'll come back later.... thats all for now thougho

I'm with you on everything except Nocturne and Compile Heart. P3 > P4. P3 was fresh and new, P4 just improved on it, but P3 was much more impressive compared to what preceded it.

My personal opinion is that Ocarina of Time is overrated, and I prefer Link to the Past.

Also, Panzer Dragoon Orta > Saga. Heck, I'll take Dragon Force over PDS any day of the week. Best RPG on the Saturn by a mile.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 05:44:31 PM »

-Tales of Symphonia is not the best Tales-game.
-Golden Sun is boring as hell.
-Super realistic grapics make games look really awkward or downright creepy.
-Dokapon Kingdom is more fun Mario Party 6 and up.
-Games have not gotten easier, because crappy level design/stupid AI does not equal a good challenge. Games have gotten less frustrating, which is a good thing!

Are you my twin brother? Seriously, I only had to take away Kingdom Hearts, and I still think KH2 was a humongous step down from 1 (which I realize not many agree with). Only things I need to add to that are:

N64-era Rare is obscenely overrated. I felt most of their games were heavily flawed and did not enjoy any of them except Banjo-Tooie, which quickly got old.

Final Fantasy VI has a boring story with boring characters. I seriously felt like it was written by a twelve year old.

That's it, off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 06:01:06 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 05:53:24 PM »

-Tales of Symphonia is not the best Tales-game.
-Golden Sun is boring as hell.
-Super realistic grapics make games look really awkward or downright creepy.
-Dokapon Kingdom is more fun Mario Party 6 and up.
-Games have not gotten easier, because crappy level design/stupid AI does not equal a good challenge. Games have gotten less frustrating, which is a good thing!

Are you my twin brother?

Is there a brother named Tomara?

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 05:58:48 PM »

-...Working Designs is by far my favorite company  in VG history as far as RPG's go... I always felt they deserved more acclaim than Square as well.....and lastly...

This one doesn't make much sense to me.  Square and WD did very different things.  Square is a developer as well as a publisher - WD was really just a localization company/publisher.  That's almost like saying, "I love Toyo Tires!  They deserve more respect than Honda."  They technically operate within the same space, but weren't really all that related in what they do.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »

Sorry Dice, your topic is null and void...cause i agree with you about....

- I think Tales of the Abyss is in my favorite video game story ever.  Luke one of the most human/best developed characters, and Ion as an NPC.

lol

Everything's Eventual
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »

Why are you all saying these mean things about the games I like. ;_;

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 06:50:08 PM »

Why are you all saying these mean things about the games I like. ;_;

'Tis tha pint, sir.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 07:28:39 PM »

And speaking of BoF. I believe there is a BoF VI but it was released in disguise (as a Megaman game) in order to see if anyone was paying attention.

They did not and thus the series died.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 08:06:39 PM »

The Witcher 2 sucks.  I'll take Final Fantasy XIII over The Witcher 2, and everyone here knows how much I hate that game.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 08:22:54 PM »

And speaking of BoF. I believe there is a BoF VI but it was released in disguise (as a Megaman game) in order to see if anyone was paying attention.

They did not and thus the series died.

BoF:DQ was an awesome game. Screw the haters! Plus, the soundtrack is amazing.

I've been rocking my BoF IV avatar on this site for a long time.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »

The Witcher 2 sucks.  I'll take Final Fantasy XIII over The Witcher 2, and everyone here knows how much I hate that game.
It's true, he really hates XIII.

As for my awkward gaming opinions....

I hate Persona 3, worst game concept and worst story progression ever.
I hate Call of Duty, activision can eat my ass.
The world ends with you is lame.
Tales of the abyss is great, symphonia 2 is blegh.
3d mario sucks. 2d is preferred. Rpg stuff is pretty decent at times.
Earthbound>Mother 3
Chrono Cross>Chrono Trigger
FFTactics>Tactics Ogre
Final Fantasy 4 is terrible.
I think the DMC remake looks awesome, and emo-dante looks cool.
I think Shadow Hearts isn't all that impressive.
I feel that shin megami stuff is incredibly overrated for basically making a bunch of games where status effects and instant kill moves work for enemies but rarely for you.
Parasite Eve 3 should have stayed in limbo, waste of a sequel.
SaGa Frontier 1 and 2 were awesome games, fuck all who disagree.
I liked mog in FFXIII-2, he was funny.

I have more opinions, but I am tired and don't feel like typing anymore.

TASTY!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 08:33:24 PM »

I'm going to take a positive approach and just list games I liked that everyone else hated.

- I played Ultima 8 last summer and was very fond of the game. While it wasn't as good as Ultima 7 -- and in my eyes honestly not a lot is -- it had really strong world-building, a lot of atmosphere, and played like a Zelda-esque exploration platformer, and I LIKE that kind of game.

- I really liked Unlimited Saga a lot.

- My favorite Persona game was the first one.

- In terms of narrative-content, Legend of Mana is my second-favorite Square game.

- I love Contact. I like the loose open-endedness and the... sort-of-strange, sort-of-throwbacky art style. I also find it really unsettling in a way that most games aren't -- really dreamlike.

- The micromanaging in SimCity 4 was completely necessary and made it a better game. Usually micromanagement is bad, but with city planning it's sort of necessary for stuff to work -- to feel like you have ANY control.

- SimIsle and SimEarth are two of the most mechanically interesting Maxis games and really need more recognition. SimIsle also has one of my favorite game soundtracks, and it really works as damning anti-capitalist satire.

- Flow of resources is a greatly underutilized concept in 4X strategy games, especially space based ones. And to date, Anacreon and Distant Worlds are the only ones that really emphasize this, to the best of my knowledge.

- While King's Quest 7 could be needlessly obtuse and had a lot of deaths, I felt like it was still a lot fairer than the pre-6 KQ games and was actually a pretty cool game.

- Chrono Cross is one of the happiest games Square ever made (although you can miss some of this if you skip sidequests).

- X-Com: Apocalypse's raygun gothic art style actually made the game creepier to me, because, while it was bright and colorful on the surface, this was juxtaposed for against not so much the alien invasion, but the total disregard for the sanctity of human life the various corporations and government entities display in the game.

Thematically, it's no accident that you're penalized for damaging property but not killing civilians.

- And one negative comment! Elite and its sequels were not the end-all, be-all space trading games. Please, people, stop aping them and try to make something original.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2012, 08:44:39 PM »

- Persona games... meh. Really? People like scaling one dungeon every night?  On that note...
- Dungeon crawlers do little for me.  Took Dark Cloud 2's bright fantasy colours to make me happy.

I don't get it, why complain about Persona if you don't enjoy Dungeon Crawlers in the first place... that's like saying that Metal Gear is a bad becuase I don't like to be stealthy.

The answer was there.  I did like Dark Cloud 2 a heck of a lot.  Unlike Yoder, I did like DDS2 quite a bit as well.  They can be good, but for the most part, few do them to my liking.  I like Persona to an extent, but I find the dungeons HORRIBLY drab and the (sort of) timed aspect of the game just something I'd rather not have to think about.  A potential release of P5 would definitely stay on my radar still though.

Never played Dark Cloud 2. I should have, but I never found a copy or got interested to try it.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2012, 10:26:18 PM »

SaGa Frontier 1 and 2 were awesome games, fuck all who disagree.

While I can't agree on your hatred for P3 and Shin Megami Tensei, I can agree with you on this. I played the HELL out of Saga Frontier 1. That game was so good.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: