Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 01:03:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332964 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Game-opinions no one else agrees with.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print
Author Topic: Game-opinions no one else agrees with.  (Read 7385 times)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2012, 09:42:40 PM »

As for mine....well everyone knows my opinions on DLC/online passes etc. Nuff said.
I think your opinion on that is shared by enough people that it isn't really something that's rare or even uncommon among the gaming community, truth be told.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2012, 09:45:08 PM »

It didn't seem to be on the board, which is why I just mentioned it briefly and left it at that. I wasn't trying to start the whole debate again.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2012, 10:16:16 PM »

Well no, the debating would be pointless, but my point is that I think that belief is prevalent enough that it isn't just an opinion held by some fringe group, it's prevalent enough that it seems to be a consistent belief among a reasonably sizable amount of people.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2012, 12:56:04 AM »

Maybe everything is terrible and we're all just deluding ourselves into thinking some things are good.

Maybe I just don't like anything anymore.

Maybe I'm a man. Maybe I'm a lonely man nrr nilly ehna wo sonthin.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2012, 01:36:38 AM »

Tales of Symphonia doesn't really play like FFX...

Not gameplay, story. The big plottwists are basically the same.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2012, 02:25:16 AM »

LLOYD'S A DREAM?
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2012, 03:07:30 AM »

LLOYD'S A DREAM?

Auron's your dad.  Jecht's just an asshole.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2012, 03:48:33 AM »

There's also the whole 'lets go on a trip to sacrifice some teenage girl, yay!' Well, I admit most of the characters in ToS didn't know while everyone besides Tidus was fully aware of what was going to happen to said teenage girl, but hey, it's not as if it came as a shock to the player.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2012, 08:33:39 AM »

Instead of trying to rack my brain for a list I'll just post the most extreme opinion I have in the bin:

-Japanese gaming culture as a whole needs to die, now, for about 4-5 years. The developers, the companies, the titles; all need to die. The fans they cater to and the expectations/standards they have set are pretty much slowly choking the life out of gaming. A brief flicker of light in the darkness every so often does exist but it is not enough to breath life into the beast as a whole. If gaming crashes it will give everything a chance to reset from zero. Fresh blood on all grounds from the people who make games to the people who play them. I would throw Western gaming into this but seeing as how Western gaming is completely 'mainstream' and intersects with pretty much every social group it becomes more 'American culture needs to die' which is a whole other tangent.

*Note: This opinion is really more of a 'meh' thing than any over-arcing belief. I know it won't ever happen, so if something's not even a 'theoretical' I don't fret much over opposition. XD
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 08:41:15 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2012, 10:54:47 AM »

I enjoyed Beyond the Beyond. I thought it was fun, most of the time.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2012, 10:03:32 PM »

Oh. I kind of ignore the stories in Tales and FF games so I probably never noticed.

@ Beyond the Beyond. Never got far in it. What I played seemed alright.

Similarly I think that FF: MQ is actually a really cool game. It does do quite a few things I find dumb, but that's par for course for a lot of 16-bit RPGs. In terms of audio and atmosphere though I thought it was pretty goddamn killer. Had the vague juxtaposed-without-juxtaposition apocalysmo creep of the early SaGa games with the slightest hint of Silmarils and Psygnosis .

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2012, 10:32:46 PM »

First that comes to my mind is Wild Arms XF.  I seem to be the only reviewer who really liked it.  Every other reviewer trashed it.  Players/fans liked it though, so I'm in agreement with them.  And while some weeaboos will always fall into the camp of Japanese voice acting being 100% superior and English voice acting being 100% inferior, I thought the English voice actress for Clarissa was superior. 

Now that I'm replaying it, Legend of Dragoon is another one where I like it a lot and most people didn't like it.  I especially think the music is underrated.  I'll say it: Legend of Dragoon is a good game with great music. 

Speaking of music, I loved FFX-2's soundtrack as well.  And though everyone loved Breath of Fire IV's music but were meh on Breath of Fire III's music, I preferred III's music.  Probably because it was funky jazz fusiony stuff; not the kind of stuff you normally hear in JRPGs (maybe that's why I dig X-2's and LoD's music as well.)  I thought BOFIV's soundtrack was kinda generic. 

In looking at the soundtracks to FF7, 8, and 9 (the Playstation FFs) most people hail FF7 as having the best soundtrack of the three and 8 has the worst/most monotonous.  To be honest, I thought 8's soundtrack was the best of the three.  Most consistent, and its tunes just stuck with me. 

Oh, and in FF7's soundtrack, Birth of a God > One Winged Angel.  Bizarro Sepiroth was also cooler looking than Safer Sephiroth.

On the other hand, Final Fantasy 6 is one game I simply could not get into.  I acknowledge that it's a great game.  I especially love the music (except the normal battle theme).  However, the chemistry just wasn't there.  It's like dating a really great girl but that intangible "spark" just isn't there.  Like I have to keep justifying and rationalizing its good points objectively and I hate having to do that.  Legend of Dragoon could well be considered an inferior game to FF6 (and justifiably so depending on what your criteria are), but somehow I had chemistry with it.  That spark.  That "za za zu" to quote Carrie Bradshaw from Sex in the City. 

And chalk me up as a +1 for enjoying SaGa Frontier.  I rented that game just to see how bad it was (since I have a morbid fascination with bad gaming) and I played it for 3 hours straight until a friend called me to come hang out.  All I could think was, "This game is really good.  Why do people think it's garbage?"  Emilia's and Red's paths were my favorite. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2012, 12:37:18 AM »

Oh. I kind of ignore the stories in Tales and FF games so I probably never noticed.

@ Beyond the Beyond. Never got far in it. What I played seemed alright.

Similarly I think that FF: MQ is actually a really cool game. It does do quite a few things I find dumb, but that's par for course for a lot of 16-bit RPGs. In terms of audio and atmosphere though I thought it was pretty goddamn killer. Had the vague juxtaposed-without-juxtaposition apocalysmo creep of the early SaGa games with the slightest hint of Silmarils and Psygnosis .

I'll second the FF:MQ support. There's nothing wrong with an RPG following the KISS system.

As for Beyond the Beyond it felt like it took the difficulty curves of the first half of FF I and the second half DQ II and mashed them together into one obnoxious uninspired mess of a game. By this I mean that the first half of the game keeps you underpowered for far too long compared to the bullshit the game throws at you and requires a not unsubstantial amount of grinding to get past its version of the Marsh Caves, and even afterwords the game doesn't really let up until you start promoting then the game suddenly becomes like DQ II and you're basically sailing around trying to find the next event flag while things aren't as threatening in general (outside of accidentally bumping into random endgame enemies wandering around the high seas) due to the massive increase in levels that promoting provides you until you hit the game's version of the Road to Rhone where the game goes back to bullshit central and it's a mad dash to the end. Though in its favor, this game does let you fly around in EVA's Third Angel which was formerly a dungeon and now a mode of transportation.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2012, 01:29:35 AM »

Best part of SaGa Frontier is when you finally figure out how monsters work and learn how to make insanely overpowered death machines.

Also this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNy1sYAytg0

I remember when I was in 6th grade and would stay up late playing video games. I... don't do much anymore. Things I find myself the most nostalgic for are... rain and grass. Being able to spend time not doing anything. I don't know.

I actually thing FF:MQ's reductionist approach would... possibly have been well-applied to other Square games. While it only has 12 spells, it's also the only FF game that really has no USELESS spells.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 02:16:27 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2012, 11:03:55 AM »

Oh I have one more!

Tales games are rubbish. All of them.

I have never played one that I've been able to enjoy or finish.

Not as bad as Hyperneptunia for fan service, but rely too much on generic tropes that every other RPG series has done.

Yeah, I am three for three as far as Tales games I have tried but just got too bored to finish.

Last Story - I imported, played for a short period and was stuck by a sense of "Oh GAWD, I have heard all this 1000 times already." Can we leave the emo behind already? Please?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: