Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2014, 04:57:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319825 Posts in 13050 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Game-opinions no one else agrees with.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print
Author Topic: Game-opinions no one else agrees with.  (Read 6233 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2012, 01:06:25 PM »

-Tales of Symphonia is not the best Tales-game.
-Golden Sun is boring as hell.
-Super realistic grapics make games look really awkward or downright creepy.
-Dokapon Kingdom is more fun Mario Party 6 and up.
-Games have not gotten easier, because crappy level design/stupid AI does not equal a good challenge. Games have gotten less frustrating, which is a good thing!

Are you my twin brother?

Is there a brother named Tomara?

After ten years RPGfan still isn't aware of my gender? I guess I'll blame it on Sumire not wearing underwear back in the old days...

I'm not really here enough to know that kind of stuff. =P Just making a point anyways.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2012, 02:53:50 PM »

I thought everyone in the Netherlands had merged into a single gender.

Oh wait that's South Africa nvm.

---edit---

Actually post time.

I find myself preferring games that have a degree of suck to them to games that are more objectively perfect. I'm not sure why.

Here's one example in terms of narrative. Chrono Trigger's plot, in terms of pacing and event structure and everything, is fairly flawless. I think reviving Crono was kind of deus ex machina and a cop out, but besides that, no real issues with it. Chrono Cross' plotting, on the other hand, makes no real sense and everything just happens because, uh, it does.

Except I like CC's narrative content more. And it's hard to explain why, but on one hand it's just that freefall breakdance of ideas and philosophies and it's like Kato is engaging you, the player, on some personal level. CT was very much a case of design-by-committee (and that was actually a selling point!) and it kind of shows. CC's narrative is more flawed, but at the same time there's less of a wall between the reader and the author.

Anyway. Other ideas:

A lot of the times I think cut content was cut for a reason. SaGa Frontier is a good example and counterexample of this. Counterexample being that Fuse's quest would've probably been awesome and I really wish it had been included. Let's move onto the evidence for my original point thought because it's more interesting.

So it's well known that Asellus' quest had quite a bit of content removed, and that Emilia and Blue had reduced endings. When I was a young man, my f... er... when I was younger, finding out about this kind of disappointed me. Not too long ago, however, I found out what was cut because someone on Gamefaq's translated the Ultimania guide.

Basically, Emilia and Blue had really vague endings in the game as-is. The original endings, however, sound... goofy. Emilia and her buddies + husband get into some slapstick brawl with someone. Which doesn't really fit. At all. And Blue's ending had his friends opening the gate to hell to get him out which is... less vague than the original ending but not nearly as striking or memorable.

And the Asellus stuff... I recall that one had her talking to Dr. Nusakan and fretting about turning into a dickgirl or something. In general they all made her sound like a weak and kind of ditzoid character. Would the game have been better with those included? No. God no.

Sometimes cut content is really better off being gone.

More unpopular opinions:

Eternal Ring: I think I mentioned liking the game earlier, but I actually think it has pretty good voice acting and I enjoy the story as a whole. It's kind of simple in the most direct sense -- it's about a... ring of power that corrupts whoever uses it -- but the game has all these subtle, implied things going on with the island you're trapped on that make it really beautifully creepy.

Devil Children: I think the original devil children games (not DemiKids) were, in some ways, some of the darkest SMT games.

River City Ransom DX: I thought this was an excellent remake and I recall it getting panned. What I like is that it doesn't actually mess with the core game much, but instead adds improvements from, like Technos Samurai, provides some modern touches to increase playability, adds content and bonus areas/objects/gangs that enhance the original game without feeling grafted on or butting up against it, and... honestly the option to fuck around with the physics was a great option.

Seiken: I think that Final Fantasy Adventure is probably the best SD game in an objective sense because it's the least glitchy. The major glitch it does have -- don't run out of keys or mattocks or you're fuxed -- is annoying, however it... by and large works exactly how it was supposed to work. Compare this to SD2 and 3, both of which have a lot of stats that do nothing because of 'reference errors*' (and this is arguably worse in 3 because it renders a few classes useless, because they are focused in some way on those stats). Legend of Mana's major glitches mostly relate to fruits not actually giving pet personality points, which is kind of not a HUGE deal; however there's like a million other balance issues going on.

Virtua On: VOOT is actually pretty playable with the Dreamcast controller once you get used to it and realize that firing while dashing also causes you to lock onto the enemy.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: I really like this and I appreciate that it had some touches that made it playable as a single player game, unlike Phantasy Star Online, which did not. Also think it had some of the best *atmosphere* of any Square game.

Revisiting Old Games: When I was younger I'd basically grind to get through everything because I was dumb. As a result, I remember a lot of old games being really grindy. This isn't always the case, and it taints my opinions in a weird way that I need to be careful of. For instance, Earthbound's not really grindy at all and actually is kind of easy if you play strategically. FFVI isn't grindy either. Phantasy Star 2, on the other hand, is.

Phantasy Star 3: I like this. Not as much as 4 or 1, but more than 2. It does a lot of the same dumb stuff 2 did, but the grind was cut down a lot, and while the dungeons aren't exactly interesting, they're not maddening either.

Rings of Power: Despite being simpler than Ultima, and kind of confusing, it's a really good game and should've been better known.

Buck Rogers: Genesis port cut out a lot of stuff from the PC version. While I miss the 3D dungeons, basically all of the other cut content should've been cut, because it mostly involved either skills that were useless, or gameplay mechanics that /broke things/.

Star Control: Genesis version, despite having an annoying glitch that made a quest break, was my favorite version. It was just so much more detailed in terms of the planets and space physics and having artifacts that actually DID stuff.

Might and Magic: While neither of these are my favorites in the series, I prefer 8 to 7 for a few reasons. They both have similar balance issues (and 8 introduces that dragon stuff); however, I might be one of the few people that preferred having to find party members to add instead of being able to just create everyone. Also, 8 had a clearer narrative focus. Actual cutscenes and quests geared towards a core event chain. Areas you visited seemed more varied too, in terms of aesthetics and topography.

Heroes of Might and Magic: Despite 6 apparently sucking, I do think the series would be improved by fewer resources. You have like seven resources in HoMM3, but most of them aren't that useful.

Creatures: Creatures 2 actually had the best AI model out of the series. It was the biological side of the AI that was broken at release. One Hour Stupidity Syndrome and the poor learning in general was a result of chemicals being produce in too-high quantities and not decaying fast enough. Once this was addressed and people started introducing things like Canny norns, the actual coolness of what was going on became apparent. I think the players should've been more lenient with launch issues. AI is kind of a tricky thing. And this was like, late-90s. While Cyberlife is definitely to blame in part for stupid marketing, they were really going off into a poorly-charted direction and should've been cut a lot of slack for that.

Conversely I think Creatures 3's AI is pretty bad for relying way too much on fixed action patterns and hard-coded behavior.

Quake 2: I like this for being slower paced and more of an adventure game than a straight up FPS.

* Pointers are not that hard, GOD.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 04:16:17 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2012, 11:31:02 AM »

In a sort of related note it's amazing that I haven't even seen Skyrim in action yet. Oblivion is the game that brought me back into singleplayer on this gen and I loved that game. Kinda funny. I know I'll love it but I'm in no rush.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2012, 12:39:55 AM »

Almost all games are awesome by virtue of the fact that they exist and they work.

(I'm on a big Louis CK "technology is amazing but is wasted on the shittiest generation of self-entitled douche bags ever" kick this week).

Also, visual novels count as games. And they need to become more prevalent over here.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2012, 12:03:21 PM »

Incidentally the key/mattock matter in FFA wasn't that big of a deal due to the game always throwing you those weak enemies from Kett's Manor that dropped keys and mattocks (also the game gives you the Morning Star later on that lets you disregard any further need for mattocks).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2012, 12:14:12 PM »

Adding:  Star Ocean 3 & 4 are great games! :D
(not really including story, but everything else... even unoriginal Sakuraba music).

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2012, 04:50:18 PM »

Adding:  Star Ocean 3 & 4 are great games! :D
(not really including story, but everything else... even unoriginal Sakuraba music).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an0tWOnk4qI

Star Ocean is good for laughs and nothing else.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2012, 05:45:39 PM »

Seiken Densetsu III improves upon Secret of Mana in virtually every way.  Visuals, Audio, combat, skills, characters, replayability, it's not even a contest. 

Of the five "big modern 3D console Zelda" games: Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword... Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword are the two worst.  They're good games, but those two are in fourth and fifth place.  None of those five are as good as A Link to the Past or the three Zelda games for the Game Boy Color. 

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2012, 09:35:23 PM »

Seiken Densetsu III improves upon Secret of Mana in virtually every way.  Visuals, Audio, combat, skills, characters, replayability, it's not even a contest. 

Of the five "big modern 3D console Zelda" games: Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword... Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword are the two worst.  They're good games, but those two are in fourth and fifth place.  None of those five are as good as A Link to the Past or the three Zelda games for the Game Boy Color. 

I'm of the other opinion due to SD2 being three player versus SD3's 2 players max. Also SD2's bug set was less crippling to certain characters than than SD3's bug set. Moreover, I liked the more open design of SD2's fields and areas versus SD3's Original Zelda field design where you're going through a bunch of samey rooms (at least OGZelda had the decency to employ actual concepts of geography versus SD3's random hodge podge of geographical features (I'm looking at you Rolant and your Corridors of Wind)).

Also there were only two Zelda games for the GBC (barring the DX port of LA); Minish Cap was on the GBA.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2012, 11:03:21 AM »

I'm of the other opinion due to SD2 being three player versus SD3's 2 players max. Also SD2's bug set was less crippling to certain characters than than SD3's bug set. Moreover, I liked the more open design of SD2's fields and areas versus SD3's Original Zelda field design where you're going through a bunch of samey rooms (at least OGZelda had the decency to employ actual concepts of geography versus SD3's random hodge podge of geographical features (I'm looking at you Rolant and your Corridors of Wind)).
I don't really care about 3-person co-op.  I never played SoM with more than one other person, and I judge an RPG's single-player experience before its multiplayer.  And seriously?  You're complaining about samey rooms in SD3 when SoM had palette-swapped corridors for almost all of its principal dungeons?  And WAY less monster variety?  And an awful skill/magic learning system that necessitated a brutal grind for high-level attacks?  I'm beyond convinced, dood.  SoM is not as good as SD3. 

Also there were only two Zelda games for the GBC (barring the DX port of LA); Minish Cap was on the GBA.
I was referring to Link's Awakening DX and the Oracle duo. 

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2012, 04:59:28 PM »

I don't really care about 3-person co-op.  I never played SoM with more than one other person, and I judge an RPG's single-player experience before its multiplayer.  And seriously?  You're complaining about samey rooms in SD3 when SoM had palette-swapped corridors for almost all of its principal dungeons?  And WAY less monster variety?  And an awful skill/magic learning system that necessitated a brutal grind for high-level attacks?  I'm beyond convinced, dood.  SoM is not as good as SD3. 

I was referring to Link's Awakening DX and the Oracle duo. 

Kind of the point of the thread is to hold opinions that nobody agrees with.

Also, it might have helped if I had played a version of SD3 that didn't have horribly garbled audio.

Plus, who cares if the Mana Palace tile sets were recycled, if anything they presented a unified design that wouldn't be too illogical to expect in buildings made during the same era and for similar purpose. Moreover, both games suffered from late game boss rushes so neither really excelled at dungeon variation. And I don't know why everybody holds the need to grind against the game since high levels broke the game's difficulty curve anyways. It's like complaining about arenas in a Fire Emblem game, if you use those to grind everybody up to 20/20 then you're doing it wrong.

Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2012, 02:42:18 AM »

- Borderlands is just straight out horrible
- Mass effect 2 is an arcade game
- Oblivion is an excellent console rpg with a functional levelling system
- Fable's quality hasn't been equalled this generation
- Lost odyssey should have recieved more positive reviews
- Persona remakes have been sub par at best
- I often buy the same game on multiple plaforms
- Modern day programmers are lazy
- I need to turn off page style reading rpgfan as the colours mess with my eyes
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2012, 09:25:20 PM »

- Modern day programmers are lazy

I'm a software tester. "Lazy" is being far, far too generous.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2012, 01:41:04 PM »

Two more I'm too lazy to see if I mentioned already:

Ocarina of Time is Middle of the road as far as Zelda is concerned.
Super Mario Galaxy isn't that great a game, at least compared to Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2012, 06:31:31 PM »

Super Mario Galaxy isn't that great a game, at least compared to Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine.

Finally someone who shares my opinion on that game! I hate Galaxy.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: