Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 01:20:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341128 Posts in 13942 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Game-opinions no one else agrees with.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Game-opinions no one else agrees with.  (Read 7888 times)
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: May 16, 2012, 01:09:33 PM »

I good topics and I'm stealing them....

What are some of your more uncommon opinions about gaming??
We all have them, probably one of the main reasons we are able to debate here the way we do.

- Dragon Quest sucks.. lots.
- Turn-based is old and out-dated (unless it's changed up a bit...I like the spin titles like Radiant Historia added, or the speed and tweaked mechanics of FFX's).
- Motoi Sakuraba is one of my favorite VG composers (ranked among a few others, and even if he DOES rip himself off)
- On the other hand, Nobuo Uematsu is overrated.  Granted, he is good... but its pretty much only HIM and Nintendo getting orchestrated concerts.
- I think Tales of the Abyss is in my favorite video game story ever.  Luke one of the most human/best developed characters, and Ion as an NPC.
- Mario games have lost their touch.
- Skyward Sword was a terrible Zelda title.  Twilight Princess being one of the best.
- Zero Suit Samus looks stupid and ruined whatever air of mystery to Samus (and long wavy hair > mushroom head and ponytail).
- FF5 and 6 deserves a remake more/before than 7.
- Chrono Cross is a good follow-up to Trigger (while I thought the plot was top-notch, the writing, like a lot of titles of this time, was terrible), and the battle system was great too! Granted, I still think Trigger is outstanding as well.
- Tri-Ace is one of the best video game developers (although, I hear their latest Japan-only efforts were below par... here's hoping they come out of it, and Japan will finally gracefully move on from the PSP soon).
- Persona games... meh. Really? People like scaling one dungeon every night?  On that note...
- Dungeon crawlers do little for me.  Took Dark Cloud 2's bright fantasy colours to make me happy. And on THAT note...
- Level-5 is terribly overrated aside from a very, very few select tiles.
- WRPGs automatically earn one less star for being so...uncreative and essentially being Tolkien-rip-offs time and time again.  This is not to say they games are bad -- but creativity goes a long way with me. =(  Ohhh...elves and dwarves... again.
- Mario Kart Double Dash is one of the strongest racing games made (...mainly for the Co-op element...)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 01:27:31 PM »

-Digital Devil Saga. "press turn is the best combat system ever!!!! *slobber drool*" YAWN Big deal, knowing an enemies weakness and exploiting it. Boring dungeons, high encounter rate, tedious gameplay. Hilariously over-rated

-PSX games are unplayable. I don't think so, sure they're UGLY as sin but for the most part I think ps1 games show great innovation, feeling out what's possible for 3d, cd-based games.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 01:40:55 PM »

-Tales of Symphonia is not the best Tales-game.
-Golden Sun is boring as hell.
-Super realistic grapics make games look really awkward or downright creepy.
-Kingdom Hearts should have ended years ago. Or better yet, it should have have been made in the first place. Final Fantasy and Disney characters in one game, that's like putting garlic on cake.
-Dokapon Kingdom is more fun Mario Party 6 and up.
-Games have not gotten easier, because crappy level design/stupid AI does not equal a good challenge. Games have gotten less frustrating, which is a good thing!
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 01:58:20 PM »

Final Fantasy Tactics is worst than Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced.

I seriously think I'm the only person thinking this.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 02:06:11 PM »

Actually, I think it's pretty reasonable. Final Fantasy Tactics has HUGE balance issues, it has some of the worst difficulty spikes I've ever seen in a game. Advance played a lot smoother. And as for the story, it was hard to take seriously if you played the first translation. Advance's story is simple and maybe even a bit silly, but in its own way it works.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 02:17:48 PM »

- Level-5 is terribly overrated aside from a very, very few select tiles.

I think people are rapidly catching on to this opinion.

Anyways, to contribute.

For the clothing deterioration mechanic alone, I'd get The 3rd Birthday used (for reference I'd even pick up Other M if it had something similar, as it is though; fuck it hard).
Same with Soul Cal IV, though I doubt I'll pick up Soul Cal V (they pretty much butchered the female roster with the few carryovers/replacements not really doing it for me).

Actually, I think it's pretty reasonable. Final Fantasy Tactics has HUGE balance issues, it has some of the worst difficulty spikes I've ever seen in a game. Advance played a lot smoother. And as for the story, it was hard to take seriously if you played the first translation. Advance's story is simple and maybe even a bit silly, but in its own way it works.

Except you can basically point and laugh at that smoothness by cheesing clan rewards for an early copy of that knife that lets you steal weapons (since normally it's one of the last weapons you get thus making the ability all but worthless to begin with). Also have fun using classes like White Monk early on that get to sit there with Air Render and one of the game's dozen spin attacks and nothing else for half the game.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 02:47:51 PM »

- Dragon Quest sucks.. lots.

It doesn't really suck as much that after playing one you can practically say with no shame that you have played all of them.

- Persona games... meh. Really? People like scaling one dungeon every night?  On that note...
- Dungeon crawlers do little for me.  Took Dark Cloud 2's bright fantasy colours to make me happy.

I don't get it, why complain about Persona if you don't enjoy Dungeon Crawlers in the first place... that's like saying that Metal Gear is a bad becuase I don't like to be stealthy.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 03:04:46 PM »

I hate Level-5 RPGs.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 03:15:40 PM »

Except you can basically point and laugh at that smoothness by cheesing clan rewards for an early copy of that knife that lets you steal weapons (since normally it's one of the last weapons you get thus making the ability all but worthless to begin with). Also have fun using classes like White Monk early on that get to sit there with Air Render and one of the game's dozen spin attacks and nothing else for half the game.

Still, I'd rather screw over the game than get screwed over by the game and Final Fantasy Tactics is really good at screwing players over. That suicidal AI still gives me nightmares.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 03:28:54 PM »

- Dungeon crawlers do little for me.  Took Dark Cloud 2's bright fantasy colours to make me happy.

I don't get it, why complain about Persona if you don't enjoy Dungeon Crawlers in the first place... that's like saying that Metal Gear is a bad becuase I don't like to be stealthy.

The answer was there.  I did like Dark Cloud 2 a heck of a lot.  Unlike Yoder, I did like DDS2 quite a bit as well.  They can be good, but for the most part, few do them to my liking.  I like Persona to an extent, but I find the dungeons HORRIBLY drab and the (sort of) timed aspect of the game just something I'd rather not have to think about.  A potential release of P5 would definitely stay on my radar still though.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 04:22:45 PM »

I've never really liked any of Blizzard's games.

Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 04:25:08 PM »

What a great thread!! I've got boatloads of opinions that aren't exactly that of the majority.

I'll start by touching upon what has been mentioned.....

-I too think the Persona series (and all the SMT stuff for that matter...) is highly overrated.... and on that note....
-.... I think nocturne sucked more then most the rest of the SMT stuff.... and lastly on the SMT subject....
-.... I liked P3 way more then P4
- I agree that WRPG's are highly un-creative Tolkien rip-offs.... I will be brazen and say it.... I do think that for the most part they suck and are poor games for the very fact that they are extremely re-hashed fantasy that has yet to have me exclaim even once "wow, haven't seen anything quite like that before...." or even "wow, I've never quite experienced this done so well....." NOTE: I make that statement without any experience with the Mass Effect series
-I also agree Mario has lost touch with whatever magic made him appealing in the past...
-I COMPLETELY agree FF6 deserves a re-make LONG before FF7... in fact I don't even believe FF7 should get a remake.... I've had enough Cloud Strife and Sephiroth for a lifetime.....

Moving on to some of my own opinions....

-I think Devil May Cry may very well be the single most surprising franchise in gaming history to me... that is, it surprises the hell out of me that it has seen any success whatsoever..... I think Dante is a tool, I hated him from the first game on.... I can't honestly believe there was ever, and still continues to be an audience for this stuff.... (maybe Dante contributed to me disdain for Nocturne a bit....)
-Almost equally astonishing to me is the success of most all the FPS titles I've given the time of day.... I say "almost" because, while I just flat out thought Devil May Cry was unoriginal and silly, I take into account how many disgustingly testosterone driven-sweaty mean are also gamers in the west and as such I understand the fan-base exists.... I just don't appreciate it is all...
-I've always felt Lunar deserved 2 less remakes, 2 more sequels, and a hell of alot more acclaim than anything else that was going on at the time of its birth on the Sega CD... and on that note...
-...Working Designs is by far my favorite company  in VG history as far as RPG's go... I always felt they deserved more acclaim than Square as well.....and lastly...
-... the opening theme for Lunar 1 on the Sega CD is still my favorite VG track/theme of all time!
-.... I think Breath of Fire 1 - 4 were phenominal games that deserved just as much praise as the final fnatasy franchise... and here is the kicker... in PARTICULAR Breath of Fire 2 was my favorite!!
-....I think Gust and Compile Hearts makes great games... in fact I think as a whole I've appreciated more of what they have brought to the table than level 5 (since level 5 has been brought up here a few times...)
-.... I really thought Star Ocean til the end of time rocked!
-.... Disgaea set the standard for top quality SRPG for me.... not Final Fantasy Tactics....
-.... I don't feel  AT ALL that the JRPG genre has sucked/been dead in recent years.... I just feel it has been under-appreciated...

I can go on for a long time on this topic.... maybe I'll come back later.... thats all for now thougho

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 04:51:43 PM »

The above post brought to you by the

:)
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 05:03:54 PM »

Tales of Symphonia isn't bad, but it's not even in the top 5 games in the Tales series. 

TWEWY is garbage for hipsters and weeaboos. 

Fallout is boring.  All of them.  New Vegas is the least-boring, so that's something.  I used to feel similarly about Elder Scrolls, but Skyrim changed my mind a little. 

And I agree with whoever said that Skyward Sword is really bad.  Because it is. 

Anyone who believes that "Square was ruined when they merged with Enix" and that it's somehow Enix's fault or something, is full of shit.  Enix acquired Square based on share count, and Square only did it to save their own asses. 

Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 05:06:24 PM »

Red Dead Redemption, GTAIV = RPGs
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: