Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 10:42:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332046 Posts in 13603 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Game-opinions no one else agrees with.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Game-opinions no one else agrees with.  (Read 7332 times)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2012, 10:45:41 PM »

The Witcher 2 sucks.  I'll take Final Fantasy XIII over The Witcher 2, and everyone here knows how much I hate that game.
I'm surprised you hate The Witcher 2. I guess the game mechanics having way too much stuff thrown in is off putting to some people.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2012, 08:08:26 AM »

As for my awkward gaming opinions....

Tales of the abyss is great, symphonia 2 is blegh.

This is not an awkward gaming opinion. This is fact.

- While King's Quest 7 could be needlessly obtuse and had a lot of deaths, I felt like it was still a lot fairer than the pre-6 KQ games and was actually a pretty cool game.

I'll admit its better than KQ1&2, but I liked the concept of 3 and (puzzles aside) the execution of 5. Besides I didn't really care for the Don Bluth ascetic that the game had going for it (it wasn't even the good ascetic that movies like The Land Before Time and An American Tail had but crap like that 80's Felix the Cat: The Movie had).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2012, 12:10:26 PM »

-Tales of Symphonia is not the best Tales-game.
-Golden Sun is boring as hell.
-Super realistic grapics make games look really awkward or downright creepy.
-Dokapon Kingdom is more fun Mario Party 6 and up.
-Games have not gotten easier, because crappy level design/stupid AI does not equal a good challenge. Games have gotten less frustrating, which is a good thing!

Are you my twin brother?

Is there a brother named Tomara?

After ten years RPGfan still isn't aware of my gender? I guess I'll blame it on Sumire not wearing underwear back in the old days...
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2012, 12:20:04 PM »

This topic would be better if more people explained their hatred for certain games. Like, I'm cool with people tipping over the sacred cows of the genre, but "X is shit," or "Y > Z," isn't very thought provoking.

Unless we're just making lists of games we don't like that a lot of other people do.

Legend of Mana is awesome. I know it's a button masher, basically, but I love the way the story is pieced together by vignettes. And the art style. I've never really understood the hate for this game now that I think about it.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 12:25:38 PM by Vanguard » Logged

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2012, 12:41:50 PM »

If we had reasons, other people may come see the light, making our individual opinion less awkward and more common place. Besides, sometimes hate and like are unexplainable. I can't tell you why I like earthbound more than mother 3, I just do. Any reason I give would be somewhat half assed.

TASTY!
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2012, 12:54:49 PM »

I really don't like the Disgaea titles.  They seem overly complicated and focused on grinding.  While certain systems seem to fit together pretty well, most of the NIS strategy titles seem to just get too big for their britches and have a bunch of useless crap in them.

And it's not that I don't like complicated - two of my favorite strategy series are Dynasty Tactics and Front Mission, but there's something about the systems in these games that rubs me the wrong way.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2012, 01:16:20 PM »

I can't stand Smash Bros. it's a party platformer masquerading as a fighting game and lacks in finesse, style, run factor, and overall satisfaction when you compare it to a fighter that's actually good. I would take 90% of the fighters produced by Capcom, Namco, Sega, or Arc System Works over Smash. They're awful.

And before someone replies with "I bet you hate them because you suck at them" or thereabouts, no. I placed third in a Brawl tournament at my university's game festival shortly after Brawl was released. not a good game. Or series.

Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2012, 01:25:18 PM »

I think in that case your expectations are what's wrong. Smash isn't trying to occupy the same space in gaming that stuff like Street Fighter is, and I've never heard anyone talk about it with the same currency of other fighting games.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2012, 01:42:11 PM »

- Persona games... meh. Really? People like scaling one dungeon every night?

To be fair, it's only Persona 3 that does that. :P

As for mine....well everyone knows my opinions on DLC/online passes etc. Nuff said.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2012, 02:04:50 PM »

I think in that case your expectations are what's wrong. Smash isn't trying to occupy the same space in gaming that stuff like Street Fighter is, and I've never heard anyone talk about it with the same currency of other fighting games.
I agree with parts of this claim and disagree with others. First, certain circles DO claim that Smash is a serious fighting game on par with Street Fighter, regardless of your perception. I'd say that this is more a result of the hardcore Smash scene and less of Smash's designers. I'd concur that Smash is not intended to occupy that niche and does not do so, but try telling that to the aforementioned hardcore fans with whom I've argued.

But mostly, Smash isn't fun for me. I love many fighting games, I love many platformers, and I love some multiplayer party games. Smash fails in all of those theatres.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2012, 02:09:57 PM »

This topic would be better if more people explained their hatred for certain games.

I guess I got a little lazy here and there.

Golden Sun is boring - It's not a bad game, but it's not special in any way. It's an upgraded Beyond the Beyond. The only reason people remember it fondly is because it was one of the first GBA RPGs and simply didn't have much competition. Also, characters talk way too much. If you're not going to bother with writing good dialogue, then just get to the point and let me continue my quest!

Tales of Symphonia is not a special snowflake - It's the same as with Golden Sun. It's not a bad game, but the only thing that makes it special is that it's playable on a Game Cube. If you've played Tales of Eternia and Final Fantasy X, you've played Tales of Symphonia. And honestly, I really don't mind they use the Grand List of RPG Clichés as foundation for every Tales-game, but if you're going to do it, do it right and make it great. Like Tales of the Abyss.

Dokapon Kingdom > several Mario Parties - After 5 the Mario Party series became kind of gimmicky and stupid, so did we really need more of them? Dokapon Kingdom is a nice change of pace, even if games take several hours. No wait, that's exactly what puts Dokapon above Mario Party. It lets you play 30 minutes games as well as whole campaigns that could take weeks if not months to finish. Backstabbing is more fun if everyone gets a/several turn(s)!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2012, 07:52:32 PM »

Tales of Symphonia doesn't really play like FFX...

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2012, 08:39:46 PM »

Am I just not far enough into Tales of the Abyss yet? I've played around 8 hours and think it's pretty damn dull.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2012, 08:43:02 PM »

WRPGs are generally really great games, but I don't enjoy playing them. Dragon Age: Origins being the sole exception, they just aren't my cup of tea.  Mass Effect was was pretty cool too, but I mainly was hooked on the recruitment of new characters and loyalty missions in Mass Effect 2.

Also, I think I'm one of the few here that still enjoys playing old SNES/PSX RPGs.  There are a few that really show their age, but some like Suikoden 2, Breath of Fire 3, FF9 are still fun and I've enjoyed playing them quite a bit.

-Digital Devil Saga. "press turn is the best combat system ever!!!! *slobber drool*" YAWN Big deal, knowing an enemies weakness and exploiting it. Boring dungeons, high encounter rate, tedious gameplay. Hilariously over-rated

As far as the best combat system, I think people more or less mean best turn-based combat system when they say that.  I certainly wouldn't call it the best combat system ever, but in the realm of turn-based battle systems, it's certainly up there.  I enjoyed the press turn battle system and how it at least required some strategy, but none of the things you listed is what interested me in Digital Devil Saga.  I liked the story and how it was mostly adults, the overall atmosphere and feeling, and the music is what drew me in.  Dungeons being artificially lengthened by a high encounter rate was definitely annoying.

SimIsle and SimEarth are two of the most mechanically interesting Maxis games and really need more recognition. SimIsle also has one of my favorite game soundtracks, and it really works as damning anti-capitalist satire.

I remember playing SimEarth on SNES when I was young and it blew my mind.  Didn't know what half the shit was. Was cool, though.

Never played Dark Cloud 2. I should have, but I never found a copy or got interested to try it.

It basically took a lot of the shitty things about Dark Cloud 1 and made it a lot better.  The story was pretty light-hearted, but the game was really fun.  I really want to replay that someday.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »

Oh I have one more!

Tales games are rubbish. All of them.

I have never played one that I've been able to enjoy or finish.

Not as bad as Hyperneptunia for fan service, but rely too much on generic tropes that every other RPG series has done.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 09:31:47 PM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: