Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 01:49:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327869 Posts in 13423 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Game-opinions no one else agrees with.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print
Author Topic: Game-opinions no one else agrees with.  (Read 6980 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2012, 08:23:37 PM »

this console generation sucks and is in fact inferior to the previous gen.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2012, 10:23:50 PM »

Two more I'm too lazy to see if I mentioned already:

Ocarina of Time is Middle of the road as far as Zelda is concerned.
Super Mario Galaxy isn't that great a game, at least compared to Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine.

I sorta agree with OoT, I appreciate it more in hindsight, but I'm also not going in with unrealistic hype AND I've seen where they decided to take the series afterwards. Preferring LttP was partially nostalgia, preferring either that or OoT to newer entries is partially due to being far more linear than I feel a Zelda should be.

You and every other cynical gamer.

Well, I do feel it's worse outside of AAA western games, more often than not I'm liking them more this generation than I did last. Indie games too, but that's largely because digital distribution has opened up many more ways for those to be sold. Though even with AAA western games, I may top that and say the FIRST HALF of the generation was better than the latter half, we got a lot of amazing stuff but some of the sequels are arguably weaker and CoD and Gears have become the model others want to follow.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 10:26:33 PM by Eusis » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2012, 10:32:25 PM »

You and every other cynical gamer.

Well, I do feel it's worse outside of AAA western games, more often than not I'm liking them more this generation than I did last.

Seriously?  It's the "AAA western games" that I'm completely sick of.  Sure they're pretty and polished, but for the most part they all play exactly the same and rely on the same damn tropes.  There's no variety, no artistry.  It's the hollywoodification of gaming.

In fact, thinking back to the 90s there really wasn't such a thing as a "AAA" game.  There were just games.  Some were good, some were bad, but generally speaking they all had their own identities.  The technology didn't exist to distract people with fancy explosions so you actually had to use your imagination sometimes.

Sometimes I feel like gaming peaked around 2000 and it's all been downhill since.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2012, 10:49:25 PM »

Seriously?  It's the "AAA western games" that I'm completely sick of.  Sure they're pretty and polished, but for the most part they all play exactly the same and rely on the same damn tropes.  There's no variety, no artistry.  It's the hollywoodification of gaming.

Well, I'm thinking of stuff like Deus Ex, Bioshock, Elder Scrolls (well, on console. Morrowind may've been on Xbox but FUCK those load times), Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Batman, and more I'm not immediately recalling. Still, you're right, I may like the bigger western offerings more on average this generation but they're still not what I prefer to play most of the time, and what you stated is part of why i said the first half was better: it feels like with the new consoles they were more willing to try new stuff, but now that we're past that it's either sequels or riffing off of CoD/Gears. Sometimes both. Then there's the one thing that's more objective: it's a damn shame so many companies keep shutting down or scaling back.

EDIT: Actually, something else that I like more this generation than last: handheld gaming, and the GBA was already leagues ahead of its predecessors. This might ALSO be something that's "first half was better", but for a different reason: handhelds have trouble being as relevant here as they are in Japan, and it doesn't help that piracy and the rise of iOS seem to have eviscerated the market. If they could've held their ground better, enough at least for localizations to reliably come, I'd probably feel the generation was great for handhelds period.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 10:55:25 PM by Eusis » Logged
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2012, 11:15:00 PM »

I found Minecraft to be boring.

Everything's Eventual
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2012, 11:27:20 PM »

If you don't have a "project" to do in that game, it will be.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2012, 12:56:56 AM »

Not really in the spirit of this thread but I feel like I need to get that Metal Gear HD collection. I haven't played one since the 1st one on the psx and as a lifelong gamer I feel that I should give that series a serious shake.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 01:02:09 AM by Yoda » Logged
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2012, 01:20:35 AM »

If you don't have a "project" to do in that game, it will be.

Well, that's what I don't get with all the super-positive reviews of Minecraft. Game websites are not reviewing it AS A GAME. As a game, it stinks. As a building/creativity tool, it's great.

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2012, 01:23:18 AM »

Yeah, it's a fucking toy.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2012, 01:57:51 AM »

Not really in the spirit of this thread but I feel like I need to get that Metal Gear HD collection. I haven't played one since the 1st one on the psx and as a lifelong gamer I feel that I should give that series a serious shake.

MGS2 will fuck you up son.

...in a good way, I guess. Well it depends honestly.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2012, 11:07:51 PM »

Not really in the spirit of this thread but I feel like I need to get that Metal Gear HD collection. I haven't played one since the 1st one on the psx and as a lifelong gamer I feel that I should give that series a serious snake.

MGS2 will fuck you up son.

...in a good way, I guess. Well it depends honestly.

I misread that and audibly groaned at the bad pun that didn't exist (at least until I 'fix'ed it).

Anyways MGS3 is where it's at. The other games get way too hoisted by their own pretentious petards for their own good, although despite that MGS1 is still pretty solid.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2012, 11:45:09 PM »

pun intended! hello!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2012, 02:53:21 AM »

I always prefer to recommend the entire series rather just MGS1 and 3 because "there are the better games and the stories are tolerable", I mean what the hell, every game is good in it's own way. I at least can't say I've hated a single (canon) Metal Gear game, not yet anyway.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2012, 11:54:23 AM »

Super Mario Galaxy isn't that great a game, at least compared to Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine.

Finally someone who shares my opinion on that game! I hate Galaxy.

Yeah, it really isn't very good, IMO. It's just too linear. Sure it's colorful and creative, but that actually disappoints me miore when I realize how little I get to explore. Not to mention they took out the best part about 64 and Sunshine: being able to get stars you're not even suppose to get yet. I love doing cool things without even being told to do it. Some stages can also be very frustrating, and I still hate that the game has lives. Lives have been putting me off platformers since I was a little kid.

I still wouldn't say I hate it, though. It's just disappointing and kinda meh for me. I still managed to play it off and on to get halfway through, though that was by playing one level per session.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2012, 09:33:59 PM »

Thing is SMG is actually non-linear in a way that's appropriate for a Mario game: you have multiple stages you can tackle in any order you want, even if you have to do them in sequence. Plus the fact each new star is effectively a new stage helps a lot, it's what bugged me about Super Mario Sunshine in that the levels were generally the same BUT you couldn't just go and get whichever Star you wanted like you could in SM64. Well, also the fact you basically had to bleed SMS dry to beat the game, I hate when games do it in that particular fashion.

Now Zelda, that's where I get more frustrated with linearity, we're talking about a series where the first installment basically WAS the first open world game on consoles, far as I can recall.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: