Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 02:35:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334764 Posts in 13710 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Nomura: "New titles take priority over Final Fantasy VII Remake"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Nomura: "New titles take priority over Final Fantasy VII Remake"  (Read 4323 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: May 16, 2012, 03:26:21 PM »

"In the interview, Nomura admits that there is much desire for a Final Fantasy VII remake. However, the focus is now on making new titles, he says. They're working to make these new games match or even top Final Fantasy VII.

Nomura also says that he personally believes Yoshinori Kitase is the true successor to the FF series." -- Source: andriasang

If Versus is taking forever to come out I can't imagine how many delays that remake can have in it's development. I'm honestly surprised seeing people still interested in a remake after all this time.

One thing is for certain though, if the remake is made is not going to be as "magical" as your first experience was. Metal Gear Solid fans know that since MGS: The Twins Snakes for GameCube, or more recently with MGS3 for the 3DS.

In other words, nostalgia is a bitch.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 03:38:44 PM »

I liked reading into Cloud's personality what I heard.... not the way he turned out in Advent Children as some prissy little emotional bitch.  If they're gonna J-drama a remake... I'd be happy without, really.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 03:50:37 PM »

It'd be nice if they actually finished some of these new titles.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 05:28:18 PM »

"Nomura also says that he personally believes Yoshinori Kitase is the true successor to the FF series."

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 10:12:03 PM »

I honestly don't want a remake for the reason Dice mentioned. Maybe the emo generation (that hopefully only lasted a few years) was felt more keenly in Japan at the time Advent Children was developed, but I cannot stand Cloud, or pretty much any character in that movie. And I agree if the creative direction in a remake made the characters as mopey as they are in AC then I'm definitely fine without.

That and I don't think it really necessitates a remake. The graphics are definitely dated, but they don't look as terrible or as murky as the graphics of FFIX. And I'm fine without voice overs. I think they should just leave FFVII alone, and that includes sequels/prequels.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 11:50:48 PM »

All FFVII really needs is a fresh localization on par with more recent games. With the way people expect an FFVII remake though I think SE are afraid to do anything beyond providing the original as a PSN download.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 12:49:29 AM »

Ugh, no wonder newer FF's are generally sub-par if they're using VII as the bar to shoot for. XP VII was good for it's time. VII is good for the sake of nostalgic gaming. VII also would make a decent title for an HD remix. However VII is not something you want to use as a 'quality template' for the current generation. Being locked into that mindset is hurting them long term. Instead of 'trying to make new games match/top VII' how about they just, I don't know, worry about generally making a 'great' game 'by modern standards' for a change?
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 01:16:07 AM »

^No kidding. Is beyond me how Square Enix doesn't (or can't) put together something with the same quality as FFVI, IX, Vargrant Story or Chrono Cross. At least FFXIII-2 was fun and for what I've read FFType-0 and TWEWY weren't bad either, so that's something.

All FFVII really needs is a fresh localization on par with more recent games. With the way people expect an FFVII remake though I think SE are afraid to do anything beyond providing the original as a PSN download.

They should like, retranslate the original and sell it for $20, right? :p
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 01:25:35 AM »

Instead of 'trying to make new games match/top VII' how about they just, I don't know, worry about generally making a 'great' game 'by modern standards' for a change?

They did, it's called Type-0.  Crikey that game needs to be localized...

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 01:45:37 PM »

^No kidding. Is beyond me how Square Enix doesn't (or can't) put together something with the same quality as FFVI, IX, Vargrant Story or Chrono Cross.

All the people who made those games have left.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 02:59:36 PM »

All the people who made those games have left.

Yeah, I know. Most of the people that worked on game companies that did the classics that everybody loved in the '90s not only on SquareSoft but Capcom and others Japanese game companies have either disappeared from the face of the earth, went to make iOS games, work as freelancer or they do something completly different.
mrchoppy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 05:47:05 AM »

Im ok with this.

Make a new Front Mission that isnt a FPS or another quality SRPG like Tactics Ogre.  (i wonder if the recent remake made a profit?).   Concentrate on good gameplay and story and dont spend a fortune on graphics/cut scenes.

I can't help feeling in recent years they've been going for massively bloated (and expensive) games which havent been worth the effort.

I was encouraged to hear about a sequel to TWEWY thats the sort of innovative game we need.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 08:23:05 AM »

Why do people want an FFVII remake anyway. Its almost certain that no matter how they do it, people will bitch and whine about how Square-Enix ruined their fAvOuRiTeSt gAmE eVaAaAaR.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 10:58:42 AM »

Besides, knowing them, they'll spend 10 years doing it.

zzzz
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 02:49:54 PM »

Make a new Front Mission that isnt a FPS

That franchise is over as far as I know. Specially after Front Mission Evolved.

or another quality SRPG like Tactics Ogre.

Tactics Ogre was partially able to become a reality because it had people from the original staff of the Super Famicom version working on it. And without putting that talent with the same team I kinda doubt we will see another SRPG like that for a while. Though, I would like to be wrong.

(i wonder if the recent remake made a profit?)

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/999440-/60504873

Concentrate on good gameplay and story and dont spend a fortune on graphics/cut scenes.

I can't help feeling in recent years they've been going for massively bloated (and expensive) games which havent been worth the effort.

"1998. One year ago, Final Fantasy VII singlehandedly transformed video games forever and ushered in the Golden Age of Square. SquareSoft was now officially a Big Deal. A very Big Deal. Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy VI had all been hits, but Final Fantasy VII was a phenomenon. Quite Possibly the Greatest Game Ever Made. Afterwards, Square had just about cemented its reputation as Quite Possibly the Greatest Video Game Designers Ever with a string of successful titles that included Final Fantasy Tactics, Parasite Eve, Einhander, and Bushido Blade. It was like they were incapable of making games people didn't love. I saw people gathered around an Ehrgeiz cabinet at my local arcade, for god's sake. Square was at the top of its game. Its popularity - and profits - had never been higher.

But there was one small issue.

Final Fantasy VIII. There was no avoiding it. It had to happen. Square was now faced with the unenviable task of producing a sequel that could live up to and surpass Quite Possibly the Greatest Game Ever Made."
-- Final Fantasy VIII: A series discovers its crack pipe

You see the damage that one game did to the franchise? Even to this day you see the remains of that with Final Fantasy XIII having references to Final Fantasy VII and the main character shamelessly being a "female Cloud Strife". Is nice to know that (at least how Nomura says) they are putting their efforts in new projects instead of being stuck in their golden age.

We'll see how that goes. *cross fingers*
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: